turbo install Q's

bullwhip

Reaction score
I have a old stile banks kit I'm bout to put on my 91 4x4 4door 5speed. What fitting will I need for getting oil out the side of the block (forgot it when I pulled turbo from junk yard) will I need to change anything other then moving gp control. Also any little trick or tweek I can do for HP wile I got the motor out and striped down would help. BTW this will be a temporary motor. I'm planning on putting my other 7.3 in shop to get it rebuilt by pros.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bullwhip

Reaction score
Awsome!! Guess ur talking bout plugging stock oil pressure sending unit. If so were will I get oil pressure from. Thout 1 flat on ip was a lot guess u can do more w/turbo hu. Egt's what wood u try for wile driving unloaded 75-80 mph? I'm not going to be pulling very often but if I need to I don't want to take a chance of melting my future spare motor.
Thanks a lot

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Awsome!! Guess ur talking bout plugging stock oil pressure sending unit. If so were will I get oil pressure from. Thout 1 flat on ip was a lot guess u can do more w/turbo hu. Egt's what wood u try for wile driving unloaded 75-80 mph? I'm not going to be pulling very often but if I need to I don't want to take a chance of melting my future spare motor.
Thanks a lot

How many flats you can go will vary with each engine and IP. Mine is maxxed out and everything is in good check. 217hp at the rally, towed grossing 16,000lbs through the Pa. mountains and the egt's and temp stayed in check. Just make sure you have a pyro. If egt's and smoke are excessive, turn it back down a flat. IF you max out the fuel screw, turn it all the way in and then back it out a hair. You do not want the screw bottomed out.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I hit 1050-1100 towing in the mountains for short periods. My probe is on the up pipes, pre turbo.1200 is time to turn the fuel off.;Really

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
What's wrong with your current engine? It it runs good I'd rebuilt the oil cooler and add some new headgaskets/bolt or studs and drive it till the wheels fall off ;Sweet

bullwhip

Reaction score
My current motor has coolent in oil and blows up top radiator hose if I leave radiator cap on when I start it so I bought a 92 w/ 7.3 that I'm pretty shur air intrusion problem. Herd it run b4 I payed for it. Sounded good until it wood die. So I wood fill ff back up and it wood start back up and die.

bullwhip

Reaction score
BTW already had a wheel fall off. Crystallized studs or just a shaddy tire shop make for a Hell of a ride.

bullwhip

Reaction score
The turbo's plumping will likely bury that port and make it unusable. Most get oil pressure from the turbo's oil block. See bleow.

Ok I though something like that but I didn't know if I wood still get good oil pressure that way. I don't know a lot about turbo's yet.
Now I'm really looking forward to getting hm and working my truck

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tool did you use to get the square head oil plug out? Last night, I tried the following:

Open-end wrench :(

Square adapter from work :(

Propane torch (heat it straw-colored, then put a couple of drops of oil on it) :(

Vice grips :eek:

I could use some ideas here. I want to get the new fitting installed before I put the engine back in. Much more room OUTSIDE the engine bay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger