Turbo IDI won't start after engine swap

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running glowplugs? If you have voltage and fuel at the injectors, then you are almost there, but it won't start without GP assistance, or ether. Kind of like my video I posted of me starting my IDI on the stand. Ether is not recommended, but in a short burst (like in my video) is somewhat ok if your GP's are not working.

But since you have GP's, I'd recommend that you charge them prior to cranking.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right y'all I finally got her started and I can get it to idle pretty decently after messing with the throttle a little bit but if I try and give it throttle the truck dies out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I tighten up the belts got rid of the squealing seems to be getting a little better it doesn't want to die as bad after giving it a little throttle here's another video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright what can i do about the low idle speed. Is their a way to adjust it on the IP. The screw next to the throttle perhaps. I dont want to go turning screws on the IP without the OK from the higher minds.

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a screw on the throttle lever that sets the idle speed. (there are two screws so don't mix them up). It's the screw that sets the "resting" location of the throttle lever. So when your spring is pulling it to rest, its the screw that moves that further or closer to the IP gear cover house.

The second video sounds really good, aside from the idle speed. You are really close to R&D IDI Performance. Maybe if you buy something from him or ask really nicely, maybe you could borrow his timing gun and ferret meter. That would allow you to see your idle RPM, the timing location, and allow you to set the timing if it is off.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright sounds good Ill adjust and see what it sounds like. I definitely need to make a trip to R&D im sure i can find something to buy lol. Now i have another issue. My driveshaft doesnt want to connect back up to this new transmission. Its a t19 just like the last. But it Wont let the U joint into the yoke. Not enough clearance. I thought it was gonna just be plug and play. I do Have the drive shaft off the truck i took the engine and tranny out of. Any ideas?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the yoke that doesn't fit into the tailshaft housing? or is it the u-joint that doesn't mate with the yoke (or driveshaft)?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your driveshaft might not be plug-and-play. In fact, if the tailshaft housing is longer or situated closer or further than the previous tranny, then you might need the shaft cut and resized and balanced. There is a way to measure from the axle to the tailshaft housing, but I haven't done it for years so I can't tell you exactly how to do it.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i was able to get the driveshaft on by taking out the bracket that holds it in the middle putting the ujoint in at an angle and then bolting the bracket back on. It looks ok. Now im trying to get it moving to see how it runs and its still dying every time i give it throttle. Even when i press In the clutch it dies. Seems to be idling better though..

="

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86