Turbo IDI won't start after engine swap

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to Prime the truck and get her turned over but it seems like it's not turning over fast enough I put a good starter motor from the old engine to see if that made any difference it didn't using four different batteries all reading over 12.5 volts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I doubt you will ever get a cold start with it spinning that slow.

Are the leads off the batteries in good shape and routed properly? How about the terminations of the cables at the batteries? Studs on the starter solenoid snug and all that good stuff..

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they're routed properly starter solenoid snug terminations at the batteries are snug I'm sure that starter Motors in good shape. It's weird because I had no issues getting power to my starter beforehand.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those 12v under load? Voltmeter readings are near useless.
"New" starter from parts store could be bad as well.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two batteries are relatively new from my IDI van and the other two are relatively new from this truck all in fine working order

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I hooked two fresh batteries reading 12.5 volts and Bridged the starter solenoid to crank it over. I hooked up my multimeter to the battery on the passenger side to look for a voltage drop at first when I tried starting it it drop by half to around 6 volts but eventually it started to die out the voltage went back to around 12. 4 volts on the passenger side on the driver's side it drained the battery substantially. With only the battery on the passenger side hooked up it will not crank over at all. With only the battery on the driver side hooked up it will crank with a voltage drop around 5 to 6 volts

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you gotten your batteries checked out at a parts store? I once had a couple one-year-old batteries that wouldn't start my IDI for nothing. It would turn over (slowly), but never catch. Even when I jumped it, it would crank and crank, but never start.

Turned out, when I had the batteries tested, that it was determined that I had a bad cell. That one cell was robbing the power from all the batteries.

Also, I have a voltmeter on my van. When I start it, it doesn't drop below 10.5V when the GP relay is clicking, and doesn't drop below 8V when cranking. So 6v is really low. I'm surprised it's even turning over.

Do you have a battery charger with "jump start" capability? Or do you have the ability to jump start it from another vehicle? Let's just see if it can start (with the assistance of a boost), then narrow it down to your cables, batteries, or starter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One *good* battery(850CCA+) will crank an IDI really quickly. Two or three 'bad' ones won't. Just go buy a new battery(I'd just get a Group 31; cheaper and lots of lead there. Try to find one made by Deka/East Penn over Johnson Controls - ask to see the MSDS/SDS when buying, and that will tell you)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ yes, along with a decent starter and cables.
But if one of the 3 is weak, forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly the engine wont start turning over that slowly.From what you explained so far my suggestion is your batteries need replacing. From what you posted one of your batteries are draining the other.Please replace BOTH batteries. If you don't the old battery will drain the new battery to its level. Volts flow like water between two batteries. The low one drains the high one till they level out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did anyone else hear that chirp?
sounds like metal to metal to me.
I would take the belts off and try cranking it.
what is the condition of this "engine swap"?
rebuilt? clapped out? don't know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online