Turbo IDI won't start after engine swap

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One question about the tank situation?

Was the truck equipped, from the factory, with dual tanks, (a switch in the cab and 2 fuel doors in the bed, for quick reference) and now you on have one functioning tank, or only 1 physically installed. Or was this the fairly rare, true single tank system?

Reason I ask, my last IDI only had one tank, (the rear) because the other was physically removed. But the FSV, all the lines for the tank, and the switch were still there. I eventually had to bypass the valve (actually ran new lines from the rear tank to the engine compartment due to continually having leaks. After the bypass, and getting the glow plugs working properly, it would start with just a bump of the key.

All this being said, you need to get the cranking speed up. Even in the second video, it's not spinning near fast enough.

This is a video from @Macrobb here on the forum. He does a good description of what needs to be connected to make it run. But the important thing I want to show from this video is how fast it is turning over. He is starting an IDI Turbo on a stand with 1 good battery. If you are using 3 and they are good, it should jump to life......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If it's not spinning this fast, or very close to it, you need to address cranking speed first. Even if fuel does get through the injectors into the pre-cups, it will not start turning over this slow. Honestly, I'm not sure you could get a gas engine to start turning over this slow........

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a brake bleeder on the fuel line going into the lift pump and I couldn't build any pressure with it I'm sure that's a problem LOL.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this being said, you need to get the cranking speed up. Even in the second video, it's not spinning near fast enough.

This is a video from @Macrobb here on the forum. He does a good description of what needs to be connected to make it run. But the important thing I want to show from this video is how fast it is turning over. He is starting an IDI Turbo on a stand with 1 good battery. If you are using 3 and they are good, it should jump to life......

If it's not spinning this fast, or very close to it, you need to address cranking speed first. Even if fuel does get through the injectors into the pre-cups, it will not start turning over this slow. Honestly, I'm not sure you could get a gas engine to start turning over this slow........

IDK. If you have fuel at the injectors, no air in the lines, and moderate fuel pressure, you can get it started with a mildly slow rotation speed. (of course not really slow, but you get my drift)

Here's a video of me firing up my engine on a stand (with explanations of everything like Macrobb does) and my rotation is really slow, but since I purged the lines and got everything in perfect condition (even without GP's), it fired up with minimal cranking.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wrote a little about it on my site, but it mostly covered in the video. http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/fuel-system/starting-a-6-9-7-3-idi-engine-on-a-stand-step-by-step/

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even after fixing the ripped hose I'm still getting a leak from somewhere... are the only other rubber hoses on the system underneath the driver side brake booster?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon further inspection it looks like I must have ripped the hose while moving the engine stay tuned

As weird as it is to say, that's good. At least you found a potential source of the issue. Fix that, and I'm sure you'll get 'er fired up soon. :)

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even after fixing the ripped hose I'm still getting a leak from somewhere... are the only other rubber hoses on the system underneath the driver side brake booster?

Hard to say. I'll let some of the IDI Truck guys chime in. They might know the truck fuel systems better than me.

In the meantime, you could try to run a section of hose from the inlet on your lift pump to a diesel fuel jug. At least then you could test to see if you can purge the air and get it running.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rubber fuel line is at the frame rail next to the lift pump, there should be no other rubber fuel line in the supply if it is configured like stock.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The culprit. What's the best way to fix this fuel line? Piece of Hose couple clamps?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is that? If it’s a hardline then cut out the crap, some hose and clamps will work fine for now

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s no fuel lines on the drivers side, that’s most likely a power steering line

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my fuel line going from my lift pump directly to my tank it might be different than a lot of the other Factory idis is a cab and Chassis body I don't know if that makes much of a difference it did only come stock with one tank so from what I can tell it's already a bit different than somebodys normal IDI truck I have an IDI van too that only has one tank and there's a few differences on that van as well but I don't have a much larger basis for comparison LOL

Last edited:

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of those fuel lines like I said I don't know how they differ from the usual IDI fuel lines

You must be registered for see images attach