Turbo IDI won't start after engine swap

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the ATF treatment. Hopefully that will get your IP working. Your fuel pressure looks great and no air intrusion is a great thing to know as well. So at least that is ruled out. But that means, sadly, that your IP has some issues. The ATF is always the first thing to try, but if that doesn't work, you will need to source a new IP.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer but at least we can rule everything else out. So is sticky IP governor is the reason I'm not seeing a lot of fuel off the return line on the IP? I can rip the IP off my old engine seemed to be working fine before I blew the heads. But it doesn't look half as nice as this one but I guess if the nice-looking one doesn't work worth a damn it's not worth much lol

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely run ATF before swapping the IP's. ATF can be magic.

2 years ago, I had one IP that had something wrong with it no matter how much I calibrated it. I ended up doing what you said, and using my spare OLD injector pump that looked like crap. but as long as the internals are good, and old IP is better than no IP.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to go pick up a new starter the one that came with the engine just failed and my old one was throwing up Sparks LOL I've come too far to turn back now bought a bunch of ATF to I'm going to fill it up . the electric motor on the starter is about twice the size of the old one and the cranking speed is unreal

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put three filters full of ATS through the injection pump and let the last round sit overnight. Fired it up this morning still the same symptoms after it's warm it'll fire right up without any throttle and idle decently but if you give it any kind of throttle at all or push the clutch pedal in it dies so I'm going to start changing out the injection pump unless there's anything else it could be?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your return lines. once I had a power loss issue because my return line was semi-clogged. I guess it messed up the pressure in the IP or something, and since it couldn't return fuel, it causes some odd IP power and injector issues.

Take off the return line from the IP to the tee in the back of the engine and blow thru it. If that is clear, then check the tee in the back to make sure it is not clogged. Check the brass elbow fitting on the top of the IP to make sure it isn't clogged. If that is clear, put a small section of hose from the return line tee (in the back of the engine) to a bucket underneath. Then run the engine. The return diesel should pour into it when the vehicle is idling. Try revving. If no fuel comes into the bucket, then the IP is likely shot or there is soemthign else clogged in the return line system.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, check to see if your return fuel lines (under the vehicle) are clogged, kinked, or flattened. I used to do this by blowing into the return line (at the tee on the rear of hte engine) and listening to hear bubbles in the fuel tank. If the fuel has no way to get back to the tank, then it will cause performance issues.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my spare IP pump off and ready for a swap I'm going to check the return line at the T behind the engine like you said to see if they're any obstructions. So I should be able to pull fuel from the return line as easily as I am able to from the line going to the lift pump?

Last edited:

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we're talking about the 4-way tee that has two lines coming from the injectors one from the injection pump in one going to the tank correct?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we're talking about the 4-way tee that has two lines coming from the injectors one from the injection pump in one going to the tank correct?
yes.

And you can't pull from the return line. it has this weird red stopper on the end. See image below:

teh stopper won't let you pull from it. I'm not even sure if you can blow into it and hear bubbles, but I'm 99% sure I did that to check my return lines in a similar situation as yours. Hard to remember all this after so many years.

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right I blew through the lines behind the T going straight to the tank and we definitely heard bubbles blew through from the injector going to the T and got plenty of air coming out the back of the tea that would be going the tank took the elbow off and that looks fine. This is the amount of diesel going to the tank.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the new injection pump on and it's still the same issue when I push the clutch in it dies. I haven't been able to kill it by giving it too much throttle though. I don't know if that's just a coincidence or not though... There's definitely a lot more fuel going into the return line off the injection pump it seems.

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You swapped the IP's and it's still losing power when you rev it? Hmmmm.

Your return line doesn't look obstructed at all, so that is likely ok. And if you heard bubbles, then you know it's getting back to the tank.

This is a doozy. I would have thought a different IP would have resulted in some different performance at least.

1. Just to recap.
  2. fuel is in the tank,
  3. fuel is getting to the lift pump
  4. fuel is getting to the filter,
  5. fuel has decent fuel pressure to the IP
  6. IP return is not clogged,
  7. Swapped IP's, both have a performance lag at higher-than-idle RPMs
That rules out the IP's and the fuel supply and return systems.

I honestly thought you had a bad IP and that would be the solution. But seeing the 2nd IP on it with similar performance makes me wonder...

It could be possible that both IP's are bad, but what are the odds of that.

Perhaps some of the injectors are bad, but I've never heard of a situation where several injectors stuck at once, and even if they did, you'd have some decent smoke even with just one stuck injector.

Maybe we have been overthinking this from the start. What is your air filter/turbo system look like? Is your air-filter really clogged, thus restricting flow, and subsequently robbing power at high R's?

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filters brand new and I haven't even been putting it on really when I start it just sitting here so it's literally just an Open Turbo. The injection pump was working fine on this motor before I blew a head so I thought it would be a bad pump I called Justin at R&D and he thought it was the return lines and told me to run a line straight from the injection pump into a tank and if I still had the problem that it wasn't the return lines. I'm at a complete loss