Truck won't start with new starter/starter solenoid

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just getting a clunk when turning key or jumping solenoid, truck ran perfect before this and had almost no blow-by

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Has it rained since the last time it ran, and the trying to start and just getting a clunk?

Have you check battery voltage? Does all the rest of the electrical seem to work fine?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it rained since the last time it ran, and the trying to start and just getting a clunk?

Have you check battery voltage? Does all the rest of the electrical seem to work fine?

I've kept it out of rain since I broke the cowl seal (fell into it changing CDR valve) so no chance of water in motor. I haven't checked Voltage but everything else works, glow plugs click

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the glow plugs and see if you can manually turn it over at the crank bolt. Sounds locked up. Mine ran excellently until water got in the cylinder. Finally got it to turn over after a few trys and bent 2 piston rods easily with the starter. cookoo:idiot:-Playme

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Food for thought.

1) Is the clunk from the solenoid or the starter?

2) Check the battery connections on the battery, solenoid, block, and starter.

3) Check your battery voltage. Should be north of 12v. If dipping below 9v when starting check batteries, if good, replace starter. (Drawing to many amps.)

4) Try a jumper cable from the positive post to the starter cable post of the solenoid. (You mentioned you jumped it, but unclear at the small post or starter cable post.) If it starts check ignition starter wire to solenoid for power with key in start position. If yes replace the solenoid.

5) Tap the starter with a hammer, pipe, or pipe wrench. See if a little vibration helps the brushes or windings enough she turns over.

6) As stated above perhaps manually turn the engine a couple revolutions to make sure the engine turns freely. (That the clunk is not the engine seizing up.) If not pull the glow plugs and turn over manually to see if hydro locked by water, coolant, diesel, oil, or other? Once clear run starter then replace the glow plugs.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

dan-o

Reaction score
Man, I'm glad it wasn't the engine locked up!!!
I replaced my positive cable, too. I found that the clamp was cracked almost in two. I also found a LARGE positive cable running to the ambulance box that had been routed to lay on the exhaust pipe. It had burnt through about 50%. I was able to shorten the cable and put and expensive crimp connector and three layers of shrink tubing on it, as well as, re-routing it. the last owners were a bunch of volunteers that didn't think things through very much.
Harbor Freight has a great deal on shrink tubing. They also carry a hydraulic crimper that does a great job for about $60. I might not use it a lot, but it sure beats wire nuts and black tape.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from o'reilly's for like 80$, the terminals are not as high quality as a good aftermarket sets but definitely not the super cheap ones either....all in all much better then expected.

Definitely glad motor wasn't locked up and everything is fine....well for the most part as I found my air intrusion I've had for last 1000 miles, turns out it's my 1 piece WIX fuel filter, it drained completely and I didn't think to check before cranking so now my lines are filled with air. Any tips on getting them free of air? I've had to charge the 1000cca batteries twice now with 3-4 injectors cracked. Is there anything I can do to help without spending money or very little money?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto

Crack all the lines at the injector. When all start leaking diesel tighten, wipe down the excess, and see if she starts.

You should fill the Wix fuel filter if you (Or the lift pump) did not already do so. (You can use ATF if you do not have some diesel laying around.)

Remember to let the glow plugs heat up to assist with starting.

Do not to run the starter for more than 10 seconds or so at a time. Let the starter rest a little in between. You may want to leave the battery charger on the batteries while you try to get it to start to help keep them charged up.

The RPM may race up when it first starts since some cylinders may have extra diesel in them.

Let us know if that does not get it done!

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, do we give it throttle while cranking or no throttle? I've been told to do both before

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update*

I think my mechanical lift pump is dead, I'm getting no fuel to the fuel filter even with filter off and my girlfriend cranking and full throttling the gas peddle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online