Truck Registration

Paul Petraitis

Reaction score
200?HA! Hold my beer! In Commiefornia for my 1986 f250 they wanted 400 bucks a year! Here's the trick, put my lance camper on and went down and registered it as an RV. They will look at it,make sure it has a bed, bathroom, and cook top then drop the fee to 125 bucks. They will threaten you if you get pulled over without the camper on the truck that it will be a big fine! Since 400 is already a big fine I'm willing to take that chance! Dear God please get me out of this state!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
200?HA! Hold my beer! In Commiefornia for my 1986 f250 they wanted 400 bucks a year! Here's the trick, put my lance camper on and went down and registered it as an RV. They will look at it,make sure it has a bed, bathroom, and cook top then drop the fee to 125 bucks. They will threaten you if you get pulled over without the camper on the truck that it will be a big fine! Since 400 is already a big fine I'm willing to take that chance! Dear God please get me out of this state!

You are comitting tax fraud/evasion if you remove it. Not real smart to admit to your crimes online.

What's stopping you from leaving? You have a vehicle to drive to leave within a day. There is no wall keeping you inside. So leave.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 94 Super duty was 740$ to register at 12,500lbs. 12,501 and up it has to be registered commercial and would cost about 180$ per year. 740$ included sales tax on some arbitrary value but registration came in over half that. Good for 3 years, no emissions, no inspection.

They listed the unloaded weight of my 12ft F-SuperDuty as 4,000lbso_O
86 F250
$85 initial, $55 a year, antique tags, full exemptions

91 F Super Duty
$750 initial, $200 a year, farm tags
It had no regards to weight ratings or empty weight when I got it, truck was originally from Canada, the previous owner purchased it from up there and had it imported to Kansas, got a title but never registered it for road use… Canada from my understanding doesn’t have weight ratings, and evidently the gov didn’t care if the PO didn’t ever intend to register it. So I had to get it weighed, at a certified scale, paperwork signed by myself, the scale operator, and county treasurer…

Waited a few days for them to sort that out…

Truck still had no legal weight rating, so they say it has to be maximum without CDL, which here in Kansas is 26000 lbs.

I’m pretty sure that truck wouldn’t be rated that heavy, but this way they can charge me more…

Kansas has no roadworthy or emissions inspections or standards for non commercial vehicles, which can be… interesting… some people here drive complete piles…

VIN inspections are annual for commercial vehicles, and only apply to regular and farm stuff if it came from a different state, and only initially.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86 F250
$85 initial, $55 a year, antique tags, full exemptions

91 F Super Duty
$750 initial, $200 a year, farm tags
It had no regards to weight ratings or empty weight when I got it, truck was originally from Canada, the previous owner purchased it from up there and had it imported to Kansas, got a title but never registered it for road use… Canada from my understanding doesn’t have weight ratings, and evidently the gov didn’t care if the PO didn’t ever intend to register it. So I had to get it weighed, at a certified scale, paperwork signed by myself, the scale operator, and county treasurer…

Waited a few days for them to sort that out…

Truck still had no legal weight rating, so they say it has to be maximum without CDL, which here in Kansas is 26000 lbs.

I’m pretty sure that truck wouldn’t be rated that heavy, but this way they can charge me more…

Kansas has no roadworthy or emissions inspections or standards for non commercial vehicles, which can be… interesting… some people here drive complete piles…

VIN inspections are annual for commercial vehicles, and only apply to regular and farm stuff if it came from a different state, and only initially.
So you’re allowed to haul a 1lb trailer without a CDL. Nice job to the state of Kansas. I’m half kidding cause are you saying it has no GVWR tag? Generally statie is GVWR sticker on truck + GVWR of trailer.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re allowed to haul a 1lb trailer without a CDL. Nice job to the state of Kansas.
No that 26000 is max legal capacity, truck weighs 16,325 with stuff in it, but empty weight was 13345

26001 and higher is CDL territory here

______
12655 lbs ‘legal’ capacity

But any domestic vehicles seem to have more weight restrictions and regulations :dunno

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that 26000 is max legal capacity, truck weighs 16,325 with stuff in it, but empty weight was 13345

26001 and higher is CDL territory here

______
12655 lbs ‘legal’ capacity

But any domestic vehicles seem to have more weight restrictions and regulations :dunno
You said no but still sounds like your describing the GVWR of the truck. Gvwr = legal weight of truck + cargo. they don’t care what the truck weighs whatever the legal capacity on the door tag plus the legal capacity of the trailer sticker needs to be under 26.1 or CDL. Maybe we are saying the same thing but talking past each other. This is why you can derate trailers and trucks when you order them. PA atleast also doesn’t care about what the registration says only the door tag. It sounds like your registration is 26k but your door tag is missing. I don’t know what they would do in that scenario but if they defer to the registration then any trailer hooked up and your CDL.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said no but still sounds like your describing the GVWR of the truck. Gvwr = legal weight of truck + cargo. they don’t care what the truck weighs whatever the legal capacity on the door tag plus the legal capacity of the trailer sticker needs to be under 26.1 or CDL. Maybe we are saying the same thing but talking past each other. This is why you can derate trailers and trucks when you order them. PA atleast also doesn’t care about what the registration says only the door tag. It sounds like your registration is 26k but your door tag is missing. I don’t know what they would do in that scenario but if they defer to the registration then any trailer hooked up and your CDL.
Yes Kansas typically cares about GVWR. But AFAIK Canada didn’t have such a thing at the time the truck was built, there was info in Kansas’s system about it, nor on the title, which they didn’t seem too concerned about… And even then they are not strict about weight ratings at all. So since Kansas charges by registration weight ratings, guess what they told me I had to do…

I think we are talking past each other a bit, sorry…

Vehicles registered as antique in Kansas are exempt from weight ratings… and is a set renewal rate. Registration will only cost $55 a year 2026 onward

“Any trailer hooked up and your CDL”

I guess I am daft, I don’t understand this…

Farm vehicles here also have different rules, not near as strict about weight

Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Dang, what is your truck equipped with that it weighs 13345lbs empty? Also that only leaves you with 2000lbs before maxing out your GVW. mine came in right about 8k empty with a very heavy steel bed on it. Makes me wonder if my local scales arent accurate.

Also - be careful with "antique" plates. They usually come with restrictions on what you can do with them. Where I am, I could do vintage plates and only pay a tiny fee every 3 years but it also restricts me from putting anything in the truck bed and from hooking up a trailer to it. Basically cant use it for anything except driving it to car shows or taking it for a nice drive in the country side (not that id want to do that with an old superduty anyways). OFC, theyd actually have to catch you doing it which doesnt seem likely.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, what is your truck equipped with that it weighs 13345lbs empty? Also that only leaves you with 2000lbs before maxing out your GVW. mine came in right about 8k empty with a very heavy steel bed on it. Makes me wonder if my local scales arent accurate.

Also - be careful with "antique" plates. They usually come with restrictions on what you can do with them. Where I am, I could do vintage plates and only pay a tiny fee every 3 years but it also restricts me from putting anything in the truck bed and from hooking up a trailer to it. Basically cant use it for anything except driving it to car shows or taking it for a nice drive in the country side (not that id want to do that with an old superduty anyways). OFC, theyd actually have to catch you doing it which doesnt seem likely.
Service bed with tools. I do agree, seems extremely heavy nonetheless…

Antique plates in Kansas have no restrictions… heritage or year of manufacture plates do…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Antique plates in Kansas have no restrictions…
Yes they do. I have one on my Red Truck. I was told that I can't put a newer or bigger engine in. I can't have fancy rims, they have to be stock. I think that, basically, I can't make a hot rod out of it and still run antique tags. I wasn't told anything about not pulling trailers or how many miles I can drive it, and I also wasn't given any driving restrictions such as I can't daily drive it.
So it has the wheels off of my old '86 Bronco on it. So what? they are factory Ford rims. Like they'll know the difference. So it's an '81 and the engine is a '85. It's still a 5.8L so they won't know the difference between Windsor and Modified. The transmission will be a C6 of unknown year. It came with a C6 so prove that it's not from 1981! Some things you can still get away with.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told that I can't put a newer or bigger engine in.
Uhhh… uh oh… my 86 has an antique tag… a souped up, bigger engine that is 4 years newer, and a different transmission…

I doubt that they would heckle me about it though…

I know I have seem hot rods with antique tags… so most don’t follow said rule I guess. I actually didn’t know about that…
I wasn't told anything about not pulling trailers or how many miles I can drive it, and I also wasn't given any driving restrictions such as I can't daily drive it.
That’s what I meant by ‘restrictions’
Some things you can still get away with.
I guess I’ll just go with this then…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I doubt that they would heckle me about it though…
Probably not. They couldn't tell anything about the engine. The turbo? It's a diesel. Don't they all come with turbos, Officer?
I know I have seem hot rods with antique tags… so most don’t follow said rule I guess. I actually didn’t know about that…
I'm sure that most don't really follow the rules.
I guess I’ll just go with this then…
I would and I do! I know that I LOVE the $17 + change that I have to pay every year for it. Next year, I'm planning to put antique tags on the Blue Truck. I'm waiting until next year because you can get personalized antique tags. You do have to pay for new personalized antique plates every five years just like non-antique ones. I'm waiting because I'd have to buy them this year and then turn around and buy them again next year. At least that cost hadn't gone up when I bought them in 2020. It was still $45 just like it was 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online