towing question...

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal... got my modded f150, just finished installing a gm14 bolt full float rear, got heavy duty springs up front and really heavy duty springs in the rear, what I'm trying to find out is what is the Max allowed/recommended GCWR for a stock 250 with a n/a 7.3 and a zf trans? I'm looking at a new 26ft auto trailer for my race car and I want to make sure this truck can haul it... mainly cause I'm cheap and don't want to have to buy a new truck (even tho I'm looking into it)

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that a 26ft trailer would be too much for an f150, even if you modded it. Even an f250 would be running close to the limit. There is more than just the drive train and springs that are different.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That is the weight of the trailer it can tow. As a general rule of thumb, most trucks can tow their GVW, a one to one rating. My C70 Chevy has a GVW of 22,000lbs so I expect a 12 ton tag to be at its limit. Goosenecks and 5er's give you a bit more, like a 1.3-1.4 rating. It's no coincidence that an 8,600lb GVW truck is rated to tow an 8,500lb trailer. They had odd ratings as the 2wd trucks were lighter and thus rated to carry and tow a bit more than the 4x4 models. Also, they rated the auto's to tow more than the 5 speed models which I have a hard time agreeing with. I think the vintage dealership sales brochures would have the best info. I remember them having the tow specs for every configuration that was available. These can be had on Ebay for a few bucks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When we normally figure tow limits on these beasts, the 250 and 350 single wheel are pretty much even with duallys goingextra, but a f150??? you may have beefed up the tail end, but what about the front ? are the frame rails even the same? brakes size really comes to mind.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we normally figure tow limits on these beasts, the 250 and 350 single wheel are pretty much even with duallys goingextra, but a f150??? you may have beefed up the tail end, but what about the front ? are the frame rails even the same? brakes size really comes to mind.

They are not. Brakes are much smaller and the frame is not designed to do the work of an f350.

There is nothing more expensive than cutting corners when it comes to towing.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Does it still have the half ton brakes on the front? These trucks in stock form do a stupid amount of braking on the fronts, and half ton brakes suck even worse than the one ton brakes on these trucks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this but no matter what you have done modding this F150.. Its still an F150. I completely understand what and why you did all the rear and front end work... But the tag on the door tells any officer this is still a F150 truck.. Any officer is not going to look over your rig and tell you its fine... Thats just not part of their job to recognise a true upgrade modification.. I do not know if you state dmv will even concider changing your door tag to read like an F350. You do have the option of switching vin number tags but just don't get caught doing that. Some of the others that have done a vin tag switch can chime in on how its done legally or otherwise. No way could we do this in cali. Or at least I have no idea how to do it.. Maybe towcat can chime in on this. If anyone here will know it will be him. He does lots of cab swaps.. Hint... Hint....:sly:angel:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
In Indiana, the best you could do would be a "manufactured" title, which basically says it's home-built.

A 1985 F250 with a 6.9L and 3.55 gears would have a GCWR of 12,000#. According to my manual, that's only 1,000# more than an F150. It's not actually listed by chassis, but rather by engine...

You must be registered for see images attach

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
In Indiana, the best you could do would be a "manufactured" title, which basically says it's home-built.

A 1985 F250 with a 6.9L and 3.55 gears would have a GCWR of 12,000#. According to my manual, that's only 1,000# more than an F150. It's not actually listed by chassis, but rather by engine...

You must be registered for see images attach

Why does a 6.9 with 4.10's pull less than a 460 with 4.10's, but a 6.9 with 3.55's pull more than a 460 with 3.55's?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As said before - it's still an F-150, so I wouldn't pull more than about 5000lb with it.

At the end of the day it's about safety - mainly is the truck strong enough and heavy enough to stop the trailer and keep things controlled under worse case conditions. Sure you can tow 30000 with a F-250. But can you stop it?? With no trailer brakes?? (cause trailer brakes are not fail safe and will randomly stop working when you least expect it)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP is unclear on a few issues here

1 Is the F150 the TOW vehicle or the vehicle going on the trailer
2 Is there an actual F250 here and if so what are it's specs, engine trans, gear ratio, 2wd/4wd single rear wheel or duals

Just saying his post is really unclear.....

Al