Towing these trucks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey all, have any of you guys put these trucks on a tow dolly to move them before? I have a tow dolly rated for 6500 lbs, and I'm looking at picking up a 1989 f250 ext 4x4 that's not running for a song. My trailer is exactly 79" max wheel width, and my crew cab is 78", but mostly wondering about weight.

Also... Anyone want some parts? All I want is the engine.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help, I have towed a 1979 K20 (Chevy 3/4 4x) on a Uhaul dolly 2.5 hrs over some steep hills. (Blue Mesa and Cerro Summit)

I filled the wheel slots on the dolly with wood and then used chalks. Worked like a champ.

Same drive, everyone hit black ice going up to Blue Mesa summit and traffic came to a stop. When it started moving my ‘88 burb just spun, hubs unlocked, looked in the side mirror and there was a loaded semi headed up behind us. I have never locked hubs in so fast, and I was so worried 4x would not engage right away and I may have to go backwards. I yanked on that NP208, and we started to move, but I forced that semi to come to a crawl. I felt so bad I pulled over at the summit to see if he made it and Thank God he did!!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Dang, I hope I never get put in that situation. I have to drive semis occasionally for work to test them, and every time someone cuts me off I die a little on the inside. Glad you made it safe out of that situation!

Ultimately I may pass on this truck, partially because I don't want to deal with disposing of a lost title truck, but also the hastle of I don't think it'll fit on my dolly.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you rent a Car Trailer?

No title does create a problem.
If not all rusted out, you could sell off front clip, Hood, Doors, bed etc....
Cut up the frame is small sections and take to recycle, bits at a time. IDN, just thinking.
I have my scrap metal pile I haul off now and then. just mix it in.

Our dump has a recycle pile for metal, they do charge to drop it off, but don`t check what you throw in.

OH dang, now the Feds will be knocking on my door. :idiot:

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Lol, @Old Goat I thought about cutting it up, on piece at a time. Like a backwards Johnny Cash song. But I think my wife would have my a** if I took that long to get rid of it.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a title for it with a bill of sale in Vermont. The entire process is done via mail, address doesn't even have to be in Vermont.

Form VD-119

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True story. VT will trade your $ for their paper. :cool:
Most of my dirtbike racing buddies get their registrations in VT and they don't live there.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, @Old Goat I thought about cutting it up, on piece at a time. Like a backwards Johnny Cash song. But I think my wife would have my a** if I took that long to get rid of it.
Ya better buy her a new Dress.
I have heard if ya don`t buy them a new Dress at least once a year...they will get Mean on you.

Guess you don`t have too much property?
I have 4.25 acres, and 14 cars and one Tractor.
Guess I picked a good one, ? :angel:

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard if ya don`t buy them a new Dress at least once a year...they will get Mean on you. :angel:

Goat
I tried that once. I figured better to err on the side of too small (do you expect me fit in this?) than too big (you think I'm fat enough to fill this?).
It doesn't matter. You're screwed unless it fits. And the odds of that happening are slim.
Don't go there! lol

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried that once. I figured better to err on the side of too small (do you expect me fit in this?) than too big (you think I'm fat enough to fill this?).
It doesn't matter. You're screwed unless it fits. And the odds of that happening are slim.
Don't go there! lol
Well you let them pick it out.
Does this make by butt look big? No, same as always....LOL

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the hubs were within an inch or 2 of the plastic fenders, but it fit. I filled the wells with wood cause the tires did not fit in the designated spots, and I didn’t want half tire supporting the weight.

The trans was dead, had to come-along it up on. Off memory, when the bed pivots, it came awful close to the fenders, but cleared.

Got 11 mpg. Tow vehicle.....
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, you asked if it's been done. You didn't ask if it was safe LOL

Not really a fair comparison as the tires on this one are bigger than stock and there are no fenders.

It made it home though.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have heard if ya don`t buy them a new Dress at least once a year...they will get Mean on you.

Guess you don`t have too much property?
I have 4.25 acres, and 14 cars and one Tractor.
Guess I picked a good one, ? :angel:

Goat
I think my total property is 0.4 acre, I live in the city, so it would go in the driveway.

I'll have to look into that Vermont thing....

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, you asked if it's been done. You didn't ask if it was safe LOL

Not really a fair comparison as the tires on this one are bigger than stock and there are no fenders.

It made it home though.
YOU FOUND MATER!!!! :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online