towing question...

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
As said before - it's still an F-150, so I wouldn't pull more than about 5000lb with it.

At the end of the day it's about safety - mainly is the truck strong enough and heavy enough to stop the trailer and keep things controlled under worse case conditions. Sure you can tow 30000 with a F-250. But can you stop it?? With no trailer brakes?? (cause trailer brakes are not fail safe and will randomly stop working when you least expect it)

I daily run around pulling more than 5k with the f150. And as to the brakes, I have done a heavy duty 4piston caliper and matching rotors on the front, and converted the rear drums to dual piston disk. I'm in the process or engineering air brakes for this truck. Living in wv I can request from DMV and dot an inspection to allow for veh modification. It gets a special door tag and is marked modified.

I do appriciate the input, I was looking for answers and again this forum has answered them... y'all keep up the great work. We need to keep this site alive

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily run around pulling more than 5k with the f150.

Doing it ever day doesn't mean it's safe. Just saying..... :dunno

Improving the brakes is all well and good, but you've still got a light duty frame it's all based on.

Playing the devil's advocate here, wouldn't it make much more sense to start with a real heavy duty truck? Given the amount of work you've done to the 150 I can't imagine it's cheaper than just getting a 350.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
The OP is unclear on a few issues here

1 Is the F150 the TOW vehicle or the vehicle going on the trailer
2 Is there an actual F250 here and if so what are it's specs, engine trans, gear ratio, 2wd/4wd single rear wheel or duals

Just saying his post is really unclear.....

Al

My bad... the f150 is the tow vehicle... not the one going on the trailer

Its not a true 250 rather the engine and trans 7.3 na and a zf, it is 2wd, srw, it now is a gm14 bolt ff rear with 3:53 gears. Front end has 250 suspension with helper bags with larger brakes and calipers. Going to be doing an air brake conversion before hauling trailer.ll of this on an 1987 f150 body and frame

The vehicle being towed is a 5000 lb Volvo 245glt wagon

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Doing it ever day doesn't mean it's safe. Just saying..... :dunno

Improving the brakes is all well and good, but you've still got a light duty frame it's all based on.

Playing the devil's advocate here, wouldn't it make much more sense to start with a real heavy duty truck? Given the amount of work you've done to the 150 I can't imagine it's cheaper than just getting a 350.

True, however I do try to be as safe on the road as I can, there are other peoples kids out there.

Yes it would be easier to get a true HD truck however I really haven't spent much in the way of money. A lot of these items I got from donor vehicles I have laying around the shop. Eventually I'd like to get a crew cab diesel 4x4 with a 5speed and 8ft bed, drop a goose neck in it and be done, but its been hard to find one that as little rust

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The vehicle being towed is a 5000 lb Volvo 245glt wagon
That car only weighs about 3000 lbs sopping wet and there are more of us than I con count who have towed those things behind other Volvos ( and yes, it's well within the tow limit on those things .. EU tow limit is around 5400, although it sure gets some looks LOL those critters have more braking power than these trucks) . You won't have a lick of trouble towing that thing behind your modified 150 ;Sweet

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be doing an air brake conversion before hauling trailer.ll of this on an 1987 f150 body and frame

Sounds like you will be fine just towing a car.

Air brake conversion? Why? Also, what did your brakes come from? Are you now running 8 lugs?