tires for sand

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My crawler tires are 35x12.50x15 km3 all terrains.
The sidewall lists I think 60# psi
My crawler weighs @4k.
Calling the mfg for vehicle specific data reveals a 20 fr 24 rear inflation spec....
at 60# it's a beercan in the ocean!
at 20-24 its still firm as heck.
at 10# its fine till ya hit a corner at speed!
Stock specs are
Front 24-rear 32 stock #3800 truck with an hr 78-15r tire.
so some math is in order!

Last edited:

Sergey

Reaction score
35 psi will be better, but you will need to get in the 15 psi range before it is really noticeable
My two cents.
Drove on sand on the East coast in Assatigue shore. Here we go: after getting permit at entrance there is a sign directing to deflate tires to 15 psi. There is an air pump there (was free to use in 1996) and another sign reminding to inflate tire back to normal pressure when leaving the sand. That is how it was in Maryland.

But now to the West coast. Periodically drive same truck on sand in Long Beach WA (world longest beach arguably). Here they don't care much about your tire pressure, no instructions on that. But they do require to drive on wet sand. It does make a difference, the moisture content of sand. Most people driving on sand in Long beach WA don't deflate tires, and staying on wet or moist sand does not get them stuck. Wet sand is firm enough, tires don't sink in it. And very smooth too.

I assume this discussion is about very dry, soft sand.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get off the road, or driveway, whichever, I get in dry sand. I'm running Kuhmo Crugen's , and they are a great tire for highway. I have maybe 3000 miles on them. The tread looks brand new and it would kill me to pull them off and put on A/t tires cause I know the chances of me selling these is slim to none. Not down here at least. And me being cheap don't help none either. The smallest tires I see around here are 35's. And just to go off topic, I swear I'm driving the oldest truck in Georgetown county. I mean it. Car or truck. Everythin down here is newer, lifted, and/or doin the Carolina squat. The $$$ people spend on trucks here is crazy. Some wheels have lights in them--couldn't believe it when I seen it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The smallest tires I see around here are 35's. And just to go off topic, I swear I'm driving the oldest truck in Georgetown county. I mean it. Car or truck. Everythin down here is newer, lifted, and/or doin the Carolina squat. The $$$ people spend on trucks here is crazy. Some wheels have lights in them--couldn't believe it when I seen it.
Just look at all of the money that you're saving by NOT going with the current local trends. Look at them and laugh imagining their payments. Back in 2003 I knew a guy who between his double wide, two Harleys (one being brand new), his brand new F250 Crew cab with a 7.3 PSD, the 5th wheel camper that he'd bought a couple of years before, his and his wife's four wheelers, and the dirt bike that he bought, HAD to have been making quite a bit more in payments each month than I was bringing home. That's not counting their utilities, fuel for their vehicles, and other living needs. cookoo

Last edited:

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think about those payments, and I don't ever want to go there again. I tell you what; I get the longest looks from people. Either they think I just came out of the woods, or they just don't know what it is I'm driving.I took all the tags off and puttied the holes up before I painted it. It's nice having no payments.