Tips for beach driving in an f250

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am going to be taking my 94 f250 factory turbo truck to the beach in a week. I was wondering if there were any tips you guys may have when it comes to driving a f250 on the beach. I have driven my jeep on the beach but that is much lighter and has a shorter wheel base. The truck is mostly stock and I am running 305/70/16 BFG A/T tires. Thanks for any advice.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my best advice, drive someone elses truck on the beach. i have taken my Jeep and truck on the beach and come to regret it both times. it cause rust to blossom out in all kinds of places. stay out of the water to, my dad almost lost my jeep to "playing a little in the waves". besides getting some cool pictures i would take it back.

driving on the beach was cool though if you dont care about all that, not a ton differant in a truck. you are just bigger and wider. low range made it nicer for me, my jeep was more fun though with a warmed up 360 V-8.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
as soon as you get off the beach find a gas station or someone with a hose and just wash everything down..i have never had an issue doing it this way.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my best advice, drive someone elses truck on the beach. i have taken my Jeep and truck on the beach and come to regret it both times. it cause rust to blossom out in all kinds of places. stay out of the water to, my dad almost lost my jeep to "playing a little in the waves". besides getting some cool pictures i would take it back.

driving on the beach was cool though if you dont care about all that, not a ton differant in a truck. you are just bigger and wider. low range made it nicer for me, my jeep was more fun though with a warmed up 360 V-8.

hahahha...I hear you. My jeep does not have a/c and I think my wife will kill me if I make her ride in that again to the beach:D I will not be driving in the water at all.

as soon as you get off the beach find a gas station or someone with a hose and just wash everything down..i have never had an issue doing it this way.

That's what I plan on doing

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah best advice don't!
One year I was down to battalion a few individuals decided to snag a HMMWV one night and was beach cruising with it. Base fire department got a call a few hours later. It seemed the salt water had it's way with the electrical connections and reduced it to a pile of molten metal!

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah best advice don't!
One year I was down to battalion a few individuals decided to snag a HMMWV one night and was beach cruising with it. Base fire department got a call a few hours later. It seemed the salt water had it's way with the electrical connections and reduced it to a pile of molten metal!

they probably went in the water.

I have driven on the beach before and I will be driving on it again in less than a week. I was just checking to see if there was any spacific advice when driving these trucks on the beach.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol u goota get one of the factory ford books the 4 wheeling with ford haha they'd explain it lol

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol u goota get one of the factory ford books the 4 wheeling with ford haha they'd explain it lol

I'll be sure to look at that:rotflmao

Make sure to keep some suntan lotion in the cab in case you see some beach hotties who need some rubbed on. Remember the dangers of UV rays. ;Really

I may get punched in the teeth if I try that one:backoff

So should I limit the transmission to a certian gear? Or should I just put it in D and go? All of my other vehicles have manual transmissions.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sand will end up in places you'll never get it out of, and water loves sand. ;Really Salt water especially.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am paid to recover vehicles who get stuck in places where they shouldn't be. If it's not hardpack, don't go there. THESE TRUCKS ARE NOSE HEAVY. towtrucks are just plain freaking heavy. I get the call when the amateurs are done making things worse and the tide is coming in. the fee is $1500 up front before the cable is spooled out. I do my best to get to it before the water does, but will do my best to hang onto it until the tide recedes or if the placement of my truck is jepordized. If I can keep it from going out further into the surf, you will be spared from it becoming a coast guard matter. that is more expensive than you can imagine. If you can avoid it, don't use your own ride. if you do, make sure you have cash to pay the TT driver. no amateur can pull you out once your axles are buried. If you have a diving tank full of air, get a fitting so you can air back up your tires with the tank.

DragRag

Reaction score
Well, here is the skinny on beach driving. 4 high or 4 low is not important. I grew up driving at the Pismo Dunes all the time. I used to bounce around in 2 wheel drive all the time. Here is the only trick you need to know. Air down your tires, and not to 30 psi or 20 psi, but all the way down to at least 10 psi. You will have a nice bulge at the bottom of your tire and you will float well. Stay of the brakes unless you need them. You will drive around no problem at 10lbs. If you are using 16.5" rims be careful not to peal a bead, no bead locks on those wheels. I have had no issues driving down to 8 psi on 16.5" rims. I could storm competition him and go all the way up in 2 wheel drive with nice low tire pressure, there was nearly no where I couldn't go. If you find yourself getting stuck, throw it in 4 wheel drive. Bring a shovel, can of ether, and small cigarette lighter compressor being a rookie. have fun, I guarantee you will.

DragRag

Reaction score
I am paid to recover vehicles who get stuck in places where they shouldn't be. If it's not hardpack, don't go there. THESE TRUCKS ARE NOSE HEAVY. towtrucks are just plain freaking heavy. I get the call when the amateurs are done making things worse and the tide is coming in. the fee is $1500 up front before the cable is spooled out. I do my best to get to it before the water does, but will do my best to hang onto it until the tide recedes or if the placement of my truck is jepordized. If I can keep it from going out further into the surf, you will be spared from it becoming a coast guard matter. that is more expensive than you can imagine. If you can avoid it, don't use your own ride. if you do, make sure you have cash to pay the TT driver. no amateur can pull you out once your axles are buried. If you have a diving tank full of air, get a fitting so you can air back up your tires with the tank.

My uncle John, camped at the river crossing at pismo all the time. His rig was professionally painted on the doors Happy ******, it was a cool truck and he pulled many a stuck trucks. Of all the years I spent on the beach in full size, to small trucks, to motorcycles I have only been stuck a hand full of times. Of course I never paid for a pull, my friends were always there. Lucky me I suppose, of course it was expected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86