Random surging while driving

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The AutoZone black (hose clamp style) fsv is a reboxed Pollak valve, has a lifetime warranty, and has been working well on my RV.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Truck ran perfect, sat for a week. Then was hard to start, checked the air valve and yup, bled some air. Finally started, idled 30 seconds then raced and died. Looks like I'll be crawling around checking for air leaks also. Too bad there isn't an easier way to pinpoint the problem area, like on a gasser manifold leak spraying carb cleaner to hear the idle change

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hold on to your old mechanical pump. I have been hearing rumors on here the new pumps don't last. That's what you get with parts changing now days. The new stuff is not very good quality, and you end up with more problems than you started with.

You were stating all the new stuff on your truck already replaced. I would not be surprised if your problem was with something new on the truck. For instance I think you mentioned you had a new switching valve, and someone just mentioned a faulty switching valve could be a problem. Might be worth bypassing it to eliminate it as the problem.
Yeah although alot of this *new* stuff was put on during overhaul in 2014 but then the truck only gained 13k miles since then. It was a quarry repair truck and didnt see much road use. Might be interesting to cut open an older pump and a newer pump and see what the internals look like and if they differ at all.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be interesting to cut open an older pump and a newer pump and see what the internals look like and if they differ at all.
It would also be interesting to do a spectroanalysis of the metal and see how they both are cast and alloyed...just for comparisons...and to see if we are getting good, bad, or indifferent types of metal with our replacement parts...as opposed to original equipment...

at least it would be interesting to me...

You see...we complain about offshore parts...especially me...I would rather see everything made here in the good 'ol USA...but until we really get down to brass tacks about what kind of stuff is offered to us...we don't really know what kind of quality...or not...we have to deal with...

...except for how long it lasts in normal service...

I was a fan of the flywheel ring gear metal composition report...

Can we have another...please...?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Ya know, I wonder if I have my old OEM mechanical pump from my last truck. I am a sort of pack rat when it comes to this stuff, I will see if I can track it down.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I wonder if I have my old OEM mechanical pump from my last truck. I am a sort of pack rat when it comes to this stuff, I will see if I can track it down.

I replaced mine at one point a few years ago while chasing a fuel problem. A couple months later after the new one puked out I put the old one back on. That was a couple years ago and it's still chugging along!

ISPKI

Reaction score
Well shoot maybe ill hang onto my old old pump. I would really like to upgrade to an electric pump but the way I want to do it for my current truck is fairly expensive and time consuming, just to retain the functionality of the mechanical pump with minimal QOL benefits.

Side note, trying to find fuel injection hose clamps for 3/8" OD tubing is a pain in the neck. No auto parts store carries clamps this small except worm drives which turn into more of an oval at this size. I did one using a spring sleeve and a 7/16" sized injection clamp but I would rather not do that across the return system.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I have a new hard line replacement kit from the lift pump to filter head if you want, Im in CT too. I just replaced my lift pump because it was leaking fuel. I had the hard line delete kicking around the house for a long time, bought it from mike green i think back in the day, but i didnt use it. figured if it aint broke dont fix it referring to the hardline

ISPKI

Reaction score
I have a new hard line replacement kit from the lift pump to filter head if you want, Im in CT too. I just replaced my lift pump because it was leaking fuel. I had the hard line delete kicking around the house for a long time, bought it from mike green i think back in the day, but i didnt use it. figured if it aint broke dont fix it referring to the hardline
Dangit! I just got a line and fittings delivered this weekend. Thank you for the gesture though.

ISPKI

Reaction score

See if this can help...
Hey! Linking McMaster carr is usually MY line!

It is funny that fuel injection clamps for 3/8"OD hose doesnt seem to be available at auto parts stores.

I ended up getting the following McMaster part#s delivered on Saturday;

53175K82 - 5/16-3/8 fuel injection hose clamps.
6519T13 and 6519T14 - This is Versilon tubing with an ethelyne liner that is rated to hold up against all forms of chemicals, including biodisel. It is also clear, and expensive. Picked up 5ft for the return lines and 2ft for the lift pump > Filter head hardline.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Dangit! I just got a line and fittings delivered this weekend. Thank you for the gesture though.
No worries man, Fixing the truck got me back into it, so im back on the forum for a little bit, till I fall off again lol

ISPKI

Reaction score
I received all my fittings and hose but when I went to setup the new lift pump, i found that the 1/4 NPT elbow I got for it doesnt fit. I believe the thread is 5/8-18, however, I need to figure out how to get it to seal. The bottom of the lift pump fitting is what appears to be a 45 degree flare for hardline and I am not 100% sure they make an adapter to convert from that flare to an NPT.

Heres what I am thinking of doing. I can get male flare fitting for 3/8" hardline that has the 5/8-18 thread and 1/4NPT female on the other end. I can then turn the flared male end down into a female flare, matching the flare of the lift pump. The fitting is brass so it *might* seal metal to metal.

So I could take this fitting:

You must be registered for see images attach

And machine it into this fitting:
You must be registered for see images attach

And hopefully due to the pump being steel and the fitting being Brass, achieve a metal on metal airtight seal.

Alternatively, I could cut the end of the fitting flat and place a Viton O ring inside the pump side and compress it using this fitting.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, I could cut the end of the fitting flat and place a Viton O ring inside the pump side and compress it using this fitting.
That is a nifty idea....!!! You sure are a crafty sonuvagun...

Never thought of that....years ago a guy wanted to give me an antique lathe...not too tall of a swing...just right for a small garage...

If I had a good place to keep it at the time I would have taken it...but I did not have the heart to see it waste away trying to keep the elements from destroying it....

Wish I had it...woulda come in handy...

Wishing you luck on your project...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Side note, trying to find fuel injection hose clamps for 3/8" OD tubing is a pain in the neck. No auto parts store carries clamps this small except worm drives which turn into more of an oval at this size. I did one using a spring sleeve and a 7/16" sized injection clamp but I would rather not do that across the return system.

Look for metric sized ones, like this. I use these on my 64 VW with 5mm ID hose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online