Tips for beach driving in an f250

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
one place that surprised me about a year or so later after the beach run was the plastic cover on the front of my mid-tank. i have washed it down but sand got packed in the one corner and lead it to an early demise rusting it out. i think it killed my rear tank to that i just replaced a couple of weeks ago. its hard to wash it all out.

i dont have an auto but i would probubly just put it in 1 and go.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air down your tires, and not to 30 psi or 20 psi, but all the way down to at least 10 psi. You will have a nice bulge at the bottom of your tire and you will float well.

This is pretty good advice, might think closer to 12-15 in the front tires with all the weight up there, but back, 10 is good.

I would also use 4 low all the time. 4L is easier on the drivetrain parts and your probably not going to need the speed of 4H. Besides, if you get stuck in 2H and don't catch it fast enough, 4WD isn't going to help.

Bring something to pump up tires, if you use the power plug in type, expect 25-40mins per tire, the kind that attach to the battery are much better.

and as stated throw a shovel in.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well, here is the skinny on beach driving. 4 high or 4 low is not important. I grew up driving at the Pismo Dunes all the time. I used to bounce around in 2 wheel drive all the time. Here is the only trick you need to know. Air down your tires, and not to 30 psi or 20 psi, but all the way down to at least 10 psi. You will have a nice bulge at the bottom of your tire and you will float well. Stay of the brakes unless you need them. You will drive around no problem at 10lbs. If you are using 16.5" rims be careful not to peal a bead, no bead locks on those wheels. I have had no issues driving down to 8 psi on 16.5" rims. I could storm competition him and go all the way up in 2 wheel drive with nice low tire pressure, there was nearly no where I couldn't go. If you find yourself getting stuck, throw it in 4 wheel drive. Bring a shovel, can of ether, and small cigarette lighter compressor being a rookie. have fun, I guarantee you will.
West coast is a little different than the east coast, where you planning to drive? Most places in NC you must drive on the hard pack so getting on or off the beach is the only time you will cross soft sand....:sly

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West coast is a little different than the east coast, where you planning to drive? Most places in NC you must drive on the hard pack so getting on or off the beach is the only time you will cross soft sand....:sly

Salvo/Hatteras/Ocracoke

Last year toward the end of the summer the sand was pretty deep on Ocracoke. I was in my jeep but I did see an OBS truck stuck while I was there...that's kinda why I am asking for any tipsLOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Low tire pressure, keep your momentum up, slow starts and stops, look waaaaaayyy ahead and plan every start, stop and turn. Let er eat in 4L as stated, probably won't be going over 20 mph anyway. When trudging through the soft stuff, use only enough throttle to maintain forward progress without spinning tires. More fuel will be needed to overcome resistance of the sand in this situation.

Have a blast, it will be paradise I am sure.;Sweet

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing not mentioned that you might consider, grease the U joints after the ride. That should push out any sand that may have gotten in them.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well, here is the skinny on beach driving. 4 high or 4 low is not important. I grew up driving at the Pismo Dunes all the time. I used to bounce around in 2 wheel drive all the time. Here is the only trick you need to know. Air down your tires, and not to 30 psi or 20 psi, but all the way down to at least 10 psi. You will have a nice bulge at the bottom of your tire and you will float well. Stay of the brakes unless you need them. You will drive around no problem at 10lbs. If you are using 16.5" rims be careful not to peal a bead, no bead locks on those wheels. I have had no issues driving down to 8 psi on 16.5" rims. I could storm competition him and go all the way up in 2 wheel drive with nice low tire pressure, there was nearly no where I couldn't go. If you find yourself getting stuck, throw it in 4 wheel drive. Bring a shovel, can of ether, and small cigarette lighter compressor being a rookie. have fun, I guarantee you will.

Best advice right here

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in the Hampton roads area for several years and my daughter and her friend would help me take the top off a 74 Jimmy that I had and we would go down to the NC Outer Banks. The Beach cops used stock Ford explorers with factory tires and ran 18psi. They had no problem going anywhere. I ran 15psi in my 33x12.5s and never had a problem. Some of these girls had never been behind the wheel of a car in there lives. I would let take over the truck and tell them they only had 2 rules, don't run over anybody and don't get your eye brows wet while in the truck!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I lived in the Hampton roads area for several years and my daughter and her friend would help me take the top off a 74 Jimmy that I had and we would go down to the NC Outer Banks. The Beach cops used stock Ford explorers with factory tires and ran 18psi. They had no problem going anywhere. I ran 15psi in my 33x12.5s and never had a problem. Some of these girls had never been behind the wheel of a car in there lives. I would let take over the truck and tell them they only had 2 rules, don't run over anybody and don't get your eye brows wet while in the truck!

A explorer weighs about 1/2 what one of thee trucks do and your blazer weighs about 2,ooo less

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am going to be taking my 94 f250 factory turbo truck to the beach in a week. I was wondering if there were any tips you guys may have when it comes to driving a f250 on the beach. I have driven my jeep on the beach but that is much lighter and has a shorter wheel base. The truck is mostly stock and I am running 305/70/16 BFG A/T tires. Thanks for any advice.

A lot of good advice here, I'm trying to think of anything not covered already, having spent my life on Florida beaches, sand dunes and marshes.. I guess "don't get cocky" would sound condescending, so I won't say it, but don't anyway-:D I couldn't tell you the number of times I've seen guys stuck in 4WD's that shouldn't have been. I would say just to move quickly and in a straight line through any real soft stuff, and stay on the hard pack as much as possible. Keep an eye on the tide, it's easy to get distracted. If you just happen to know where some is laying around, an old section of chain link fence can work miracles...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one mentioned the gals lying on the beach. Just don't run over any of them. I don't recall a rule where they have to have a flag sticking out there ass. :D

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Salvo/Hatteras/Ocracoke

Last year toward the end of the summer the sand was pretty deep on Ocracoke. I was in my jeep but I did see an OBS truck stuck while I was there...that's kinda why I am asking for any tipsLOL
Here is what Ocracoke looked like in February...

Attachments

• 02261026.jpg
    02261026.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 02261026a.jpg
    02261026a.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 02261031.jpg
    02261031.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 3

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I love this site...actual tech questions may go unanswered but the meaningless threads last forever...

(not slamming anyone just thought it was funny, this site has been great to me!)

And to contribute to the OP's original question:

Don't slow downin the soft stuff and air down your tires.

Bring a friend with a truck for the small stucks...

Most importantly don't let the old lady catch you staring...it won't end well.

Thad

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what Ocracoke looked like in February...

wow, that looks a lot different than when I was there last. We pulled off to fish at one of the first ramps once you get off the Hatteras ferry (way before you get to town), it was really deep and that is where I saw the OBS truck stuck...he was able to dig out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online