Timing Meter Rental Problems

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well guys I'm having troubles getting my meters back in a timely manner. It seems some members are keeping the meters way too long making some poor excuses. I want you guys to help me with a better way of making this service work for everyone. The thought I have been working on is to no longer take paypal or other kinds of payments but to only take a credit card. Then if someone decides to keep the meters longer than a confirmed set amount of time I charge their cards a set amount. This added cost of doing business is going to make the fees charged by running this service more to the end user. Thats you guys. Once a member has the meters I have no way of getting them back and that leaves me in a tight spot. So I'm asking for the help I believe this group of members will help me design something that will work for everyone. Problem is even If I get lets say a $100.00 security deposit that wont help others so charging a fee that will buy a new meter is probably going to be well over $1000.00 and thats just way too much for anyone. But not having a meter ruins this program for everyone. I understand the waiting game and how personal things change in our lives but communication is what will make this go forwards. I really feel bad that just a couple members are doing a poor service to me and the other members that are waiting. Others hurried up their end of this program so they had the meters when they wanted them. Now its time to call in the meters and no more excuses about why they have not been returned yet. For the most part I'm very happy with how many of you have been responsible and retuned the meters quickly when done. Thanks all for understanding this difficult issue.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey man, if they are keeping them longer than they should charge them late fees. Just like the library does. Since its $1.50 per movie per day from the library I'd think $25 per day for a meter is more than acceptable.

Suck it up guys! If you're going to rent these things then get them back on time or pay the price. That simple. I've loaned tools out to members of this forum and other forums. I can honestly say some of those tools I never got back and one of them was a ferrett adapter that I never used and had only been used one other time by another member. because of this I will no longer loan tools out at all. What Gary's doing is a very nice thing for you guys so respect him and his tools by getting them back to him on time.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
How about like some of the part stores do - charge the price of the meter, then refund it sans the amount of the rental upon its return.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The problem with that is theres no punishment for being late. Garys trying to keep these things on a schedule and most guys that sign up for them probably have their trucks down for pump changes and such when they have it scheduled for them to get the meter. If they dont get the meter when they scheduled it then they are out without a truck because someone else didnt keep to the schedule. There has to be a punishment for being late and it cant be small or people will just ignore it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
come on guys don't ruin this fro the rest of us. at least be honest and figure something out rather than just holding on to the meter and not saying anything until Gary contacts you.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can't imagine what kind of excuse there would be for taking too long to get a truck timed up. I'm half crippled and I've trained my young teenage son as a helper for when I time trucks . I've got him to where he;ll hold 2000 rpm nice and steady while i get up in there and fool with it. There isn't any great amount of difficulty involved in timing one. The hardest part is getting up under the hood ( and that's not a problem for most folks )
I just can't imagine what would be taking anyone an excessive amount of time.

I used to loan out some tools for some exotic european diesels on another group and some grew legs :backoff and I finally had to adopt a policy of charging a deposit up front that would cover full replacement and I would send a return shipping label with a pickup number along with the package so all they would have to do is seal them back up and call for a pickup ( so no morewaiting a month while somobody keeps saying they can't get off work in time to get it shipped off ). When I got it all back, they'd get their deposit back minus the shipping

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Start a shamming wall. Post up the names of people who have done it so we know not to do business with them.

A credit card is a good way to go, but honestly sucks since it costs us more. However even if it does cost us more you will still find me in line as soon as I get my mouse pump because there is not a cheaper, better way for me to get my truck timed.

I would say give them a set amount of time (a week or so because it only takes an hour or so to do) and if its not returned, charge them $25 per day that its not in your hands. Once the $25 per day had reached the value of the meter plus a little something extra for your troubles, stop charging them.

my .02

PZ

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary did this the easy way so that all this late fee and trying to return the money crap didnt have to happen.
Jeez guys cmon, and if you cant get it timed maybe let him know and he can re rate the next rental.:dunno:dunno

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Id say with who ever is currently on the waiting list to keep it the original way. Anyone else added from now and when ever be required to use a CC or debit card. You need to figure out a fair length of time for us members to borrow the meters? Maybe 2 week limit? After the two weeks you are charged X amount per day until the meter is back in your hands.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there should be no reason a member doesn't return the meter the next day after receiving it imho.
even if you had the change the ip/injectors (because you were not smart enough to do this ahead of time) it's still very possible after work.....suck it up and get 'er done boys.:D

p.s.
imho,anyone holding a timing meter for more than 3 days is likely trying to use it to make money.
it takes a half hour to time my truck just screwing around taking it easy,and that's via the old school lumy method.you guys don't even need to pull a glow plug.:D

Last edited:

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To those of you who are trying to ruin a good thing!! STOP IT AND RETURN THE METERS ASAP! Gary put this all together to be nice and support fellow IDI members. I would hope those of you with outstanding meters will show him the SAME respect he has shown you and return them so others have the chance!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please don't stop accepting paypal ! I almost have my truck put back together and was hoping to rent one from you , but I don't have a CC . I also wouldn't be able to put down $1,000 for a security deposit .. Hopefully someone will come up with a simple solution .. but I do agree that there needs to be some kind of punishment for not returning them on time .. This service that you offer helps a lot of people out greatly .. Everyone should respect you and what you are offering and return them when they are suppose to .

Edit : I didn't know there was a waiting list .. please add me to it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online