Timing Meter Availibity

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have one timing meter available now. If anyone is needing it please pm me for details. Shipping is paid by me to your location. Its shameful that no shops will time our engines any longer. Here on the west coast I know of one shop that claims to time our engines. They charge $120.00 a few years back. No telling if they still do this or charge more. I'm thinking they charge more..

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Santa rosa diesel (ca) charges $200.00 and claims to have a meter!
The same shop that told me all db2 pumps are alike when I was searching for parts '( before I found o.b.) so this is a screaming deal in comparison!
Bump!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thanks for the update on a shop that actually has a meter but.. I'm thinking I need to up my prices if they charge that much. But really.. Thats a horrible price for what you get. You might ask what you get for that amount too. Is it pulse or lumi method and what meter are they using. Are they giving you oem specs which are 8.5 advance plus or minus 2 degree???:eek::rotflmao Thats not even close to correct timing these days. Way back in the mid 80s it may have been but todays fuel requires closer to 9.0 to 9.5 advance for the engine to run correctly and give good mileage.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked if he had a pulse meter to time an idi and how much,,,,
After I got up off the floor I told him I could buy one for 3 -4 bills and that it should take 10min's and he was nutz!!! Especially claiming db2's are all the same inside! ( I laugh and hung up) I just wanted to see what they said for a longshot!!! All the shops here dont touch em' and ford has no meter!
This was during my hunt to time my new ip prior to vacation.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
OK so can I time by ear until I get a meter?

I don't think you can but no harm trying. It takes many years of listening to these engines to actually "hear" the correct sound. Only Mel has done that and he did it only once. Are you close enough to drive to Pa and have Mel time it at the Shop or can you make it to the rally in a few days. He times all comes there. I have a timing meter rental program if you interested in going that direction. We can pm about it.

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mels probably a 200 mile drive from me, not sure truck is up to that seeing as how its running / smoking. After it started up pretty well when I put the pump on it really did not want to start two days later, in fact it was significantly harder to start two days after the initial install. It could be lousy fuel as well, truck got little use this winter but before IP change was running great on same fuel