This ain't good.......

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -cuss :mad: :backoff

17 months old :mad:

Everthing was fine till I stopped at a light......went to put in gear and when I eased up on the clutch....SH-REEK :eek: Then was hard to shift.......
Got home and 2 hrs later.....here's the pics -cuss :puke:

{and this is what I get for bragging to Rampy how good south bend clutches are :rolleyes: }

Attachments

• damage.JPG
    damage.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 55
  • not good-2.JPG
    not good-2.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 52
  • DAMNIT MAN!.JPG
    DAMNIT MAN!.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Crap, that stinks!!!!

Talk to me big daddy, is this covered by a warranty????

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
Crap, that stinks!!!!

Talk to me big daddy, is this covered by a warranty????

I spoke with someone at South Bend and have emailed the rest of the pics to them....:popcorn :backoff :popcorn

Chit, when both the other dual mass f/w crapped out after close to 175 k mi,{ in my '90 IDI and the first one in the PSD} they didn't look half as bad as that :puke: not even the one that busted my case cookoo .... :popcorn

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George, that's no fun :(

What's the doohickey that looks like a splined shaft in the first two pics? Is that an alignment tool like what you get with LuK clutches, or did the input shaft break? :shocked:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Bummer. I hope they will at least send you a disk. Those springs are a real crapshoot sometimes. It is quite possible it was just the weak one in the chain. Best of Luck Geo.
Ken

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The Warden said:
George, that's no fun :(

What's the doohickey that looks like a splined shaft in the first two pics? Is that an alignment tool like what you get with LuK clutches, or did the input shaft break? :shocked:

Yea, Tim it's the alignment hickydoo LOL I had it set in before I removed the pressure plate to take some of the weight of my poor back while removing the bolts.

YO Ken...:cheers: hopefully SB will work with me on this!

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Dayum Geo, that sux something bad. Hope SB will work with ya on this.

Good luck

John

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That aint good Geo.................... I had somthing similar happen on the clutch in my 65 Stang. One of the springs on one of the fingers was weak and it kept allowing the clutch to engage at an angle. I went to the clutch house (Stockton Clutch and Brake Exchange at the time) and threw a ***** fit. Course I was all of 19 years old and they told me thats the kind of things that happen when you "pre-load" a clutch. I told them to get screwed, take the clutch apart and get back to me. A day later they told me to come pick up a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. ;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Received a call from SB...... ;Sweet
They are taking care of the issue and sending a replacment assy :hail

Their rep asked me to check a few things that could possibly lead to failures like this..... and I am passing them on for others.

Faulty inj firing- I need to change the harness and UVC on the left bank....rb done a couple mos ago.
Inj themselves check out good----just not Beans Stage 1's----YET LOL

Poor case alignment/input shaft play---I don't see any signs of excessive play and the pilot shaft nose looks clean and concentric as the previous DMFW failure did not damage the needle style pilot brg.

South Bend apparently stands behind their products ;Sweet
I was up front and honest regarding the mileage and time since purchase.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Glad to see they are taking care of ya.

Do they want the old unit back to see if they can figgure out what happened?????

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
Glad to see they are taking care of ya.

Do they want the old unit back to see if they can figgure out what happened?????

I offered to send them the failed parts and they told me they don't need them.....anyone need a boat anchor LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well it's good to see that Peter and bunch up at SBC is going to stand behind it - they did mine when it failed the first time around. Have no complaints about their customer service as it is above and beyond in all the cases that I have read about.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the bum luck Geo. Glad they got you covered though. When I first started to read your post, I was afraid you were going to say something like your bell housing weld let go. I'm intrigued by their claim that faulty injector firing can ruin one of their disks. I guess it seems possible, but I dunno. Anyway, here's hoping it goes back together for you as quick and easy as it came apart. ;Sweet

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
argve said:
Well it's good to see that Peter and bunch up at SBC is going to stand behind it - they did mine when it failed the first time around. Have no complaints about their customer service as it is above and beyond in all the cases that I have read about.

Travis, I don't recall you having clutch issues :confused:
Wich one...con-O or OFE?

Yea, and definate :thumbsup: on their cust service :D