NJ to ID - Road trip time!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright folks, the day is finally here to leave the armpit of America (NJ) and get back to Idaho! I’ll be heading out Thursday morning with my first stop outside of Toledo, OH. I’ll have to hit hotels or rooms until I get to that Wyoming wrenchhead @firehonomichl then I’ll drink all his beer LOLLOL thanks for the warm cot buddy!!
My truck made the trip from Cali to NJ in 2018 with no problems, but that was the southern route. This time I’ll be taking the northern route, I think it’s the 90 most of the way? I’ll get to Wyoming and then head up to Missoula, over to CDA then south to Lewiston where our new home is. I figured I’d start this thread and ask for any advice, tips, tricks, words of encouragement for the trip and I’m also going to try and post any interesting events that happen along the way!
The truck is an 86 250 RWD with a 6.9 NA. 170K miles. She’s got a C6 transmission with a shift kit and 3.55 gears. I’ll be pulling a 6’x12’ Uhaul trailer that should come in around 5,000lbs total. The brakes were just looked over, everything checked out and she stops great. I recently drained and filled both the transmission and rear diff, those both looked, and look, great. Cooling system was flushed and filled less than 10,000 miles ago with a new motorcraft thermostat. Clutch fan runs, always, I figure that will help keep her cool…
I have all my tools in the back, so if anything goes wrong I should be able to handle it. I have a box of spare belts, fluids, and a couple extra fuel filters in case I get some junk diesel. Jumper cables, roadside flares, warm clothes, spare tire, patch kit, stock jack, and I’m thinking some other randoms? I bought a pair of tire chains online and they were too big, so I’m returning those and now I can’t get anything shipped to me before I leave Thursday :/ couldn’t buy any in town either because in this sh!th0le state you can’t use tire chains unless you are a government employee or have a special permit! :Whatever:

Anyways, hope everyone had a good turkey day and I hope Santa brings you all truck parts for Christmas!! Chime in if you got anything for me, I appreciate it!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Carry a few gallons of water (for drinking) just in case too. Granola bars are good for an emergency food, put them in your pocket if they get too cold. A winter rated sleeping bag isn't a bad idea either. And have roadside assistance on your insurance or through a third party like AAA or Goodsam.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on escaping. I talk to a few people back north, and they tell me we'll get together when I come back. They don't believe me when I tell them I'll never go back. Never. I would get a trans cooler if you're pulling a trailer. Just some peace of mind. Going to be a nice ride. Enjoy it.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress too much on chains with the weight you'll be hauling if your tires are good, but if you want the piece of mind you shouldn't have any problem finding them along your drive at the larger truck stops.

Depending how the weather holds, you're hardest spots will be most likely be the passes. Homestake, Lookout and 4th of July come to mind when you get into the Rocky Mountains, and the final stretch down the steep hill into Lewiston. If you update with where you're stopping, I might be able to recommend some good spots to eat.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Hey Stu, Congratulations on the move.
You seem to have most everything covered, but I will also recommend a tow strap, fuses,Jerry can of fuel, and some fuel line with clamps just for kicks.
Also, between me and you, bring some............
:yell:ether:popcorn........
Just in case. It has gotten me out of many a pickle.

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You seem to have most everything covered, but I will also recommend a tow strap, fuses,Jerry can of fuel, and some fuel line with clamps just for kicks.

Rock

If really worried about cold temps, idle it overnight. Not ideal unless you stay in to avoid theft though. I was worried about my F250 not starting the next morning in Wyoming one night in late 2017. I couldn't hardly sleep over stressing about it, so I got up in the early morning before the worst of the cold, started it, and tried to sleep a little in there with it idling. Once it got a bit warmed up according to the aftermarket water temp gauge, I shut it off and went to sleep, figuring that heat might stay well enough to let it start in the morning. Had no problem in the morning.

Or if you have at least a 1500W generator, use it for your block heater to take some stress off of the GPs, starter, and batteries. I had to help someone a couple months ago in AZ or NM along I40 who couldn't get his PSD bus to start (undersized and weak batteries and probably some bad GPs after a upper 20s night) by running his block heater and charging his batteries thanks to my RV's 4000W Onan genset.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carry a few gallons of water (for drinking) just in case too. Granola bars are good for an emergency food, put them in your pocket if they get too cold. A winter rated sleeping bag isn't a bad idea either. And have roadside assistance on your insurance or through a third party like AAA or Goodsam.
Cubey, my snack game is on point for this trip. Unfortunately I won't have my wife riding shotgun to hand me my requests but heck, I got along fine without her years ago! I do have 12 gallons of water on board too. Extra weight that the Coast Guard will pay me for plus it's just a good idea to have like you say. Got my down sleeping bag in there too, that thing has never let me down. Good call on the insurance, I'm goin to give them a ring tomorrow morning and see what roadside assistance I can boost up. Also, I wish I had a generator onboard... I did a similar thing as you one time way back when with the starting the truck up in the middle of the night. It was actually just to keep ME warm inside it instead of the truck lol it was a 99 Ford Ranger.
Congrats on escaping. I talk to a few people back north, and they tell me we'll get together when I come back. They don't believe me when I tell them I'll never go back. Never. I would get a trans cooler if you're pulling a trailer. Just some peace of mind. Going to be a nice ride. Enjoy it.
Hell no, don't ever do it! I give credit to Jersey for only 4 things: Ticks, sub sandwiches, pizza, and the fishing ain't that bad here. But other than that, nothing! Truck does have a trans cooler in it. I've never done anything with it, so let's hope it's working as it should...
I wouldn't stress too much on chains with the weight you'll be hauling if your tires are good, but if you want the piece of mind you shouldn't have any problem finding them along your drive at the larger truck stops.

Depending how the weather holds, you're hardest spots will be most likely be the passes. Homestake, Lookout and 4th of July come to mind when you get into the Rocky Mountains, and the final stretch down the steep hill into Lewiston. If you update with where you're stopping, I might be able to recommend some good spots to eat.
Shoot, I'll be stopping in Missoula on the 7th. I should get there before sundown, any recommendations on food in town? Other than that, I'll head out and I'll pull straight through to Lewiston. Might hit a stop for fuel and a rest break but other than that, I'll probably be riding the high of finally getting to our first house. Sounds like you've made the drive that way before? I know the grade down from Moscow to Lewiston is pretty steep, but how is it from Missoula to Coeur D'Alene? I've never been...

Roger that Rock! I've got a tow strap, fuses, fuel can, but good call on the fuel line and hose clamps just in case! Maybe some Bill Cosby in a can too, why not! -Flame Thr
Rock
Thanks ya'll, all good stuff, much appreciated!

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, I'll be stopping in Missoula on the 7th. I should get there before sundown, any recommendations on food in town? Other than that, I'll head out and I'll pull straight through to Lewiston. Might hit a stop for fuel and a rest break but other than that, I'll probably be riding the high of finally getting to our first house. Sounds like you've made the drive that way before? I know the grade down from Moscow to Lewiston is pretty steep, but how is it from Missoula to Coeur D'Alene? I've never been...
Tamarack Brewing is probably the best food and local brews in Missoula and is open late. Excellent on all counts. If you grab fuel in CdA, hit up Rogers Burgers for probably the best "fast food style" burger I've had at this point.

The other passes aren't as steep as heading into Lewiston, but Lookout is the main slow roll uphill and a good drop into Idaho. I've driven it multiple winters in the IDI and had the heater go from blowing hot towing uphill to blowing freezing cold idling down the other side since it was negative temps outside. Good tires and some weight, and never had to use 4wd on the highway.

Congrats on the first house, I've been saving for a dip/crash to finally buy in. Lewiston is a nice spot once you settle in and no longer notice the paper mill smell. Spent plenty of time all over thanks to pretty much living in a service truck for a while now.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some other items to consider -
1) Small floor Jack and a 3 pieces of 4”x4”x1’ wood. Much faster to change a tire or put chains on a truck or trailer. Your factory truck jack may not work on the U Haul. Wood is for chocks and between jack and axle if you need some more lift.
2) Some Ford diesel anti gel. Some fuel stations add it, but if you fill up 100mi earlier where it is warm and now in the mountains, your fuel may gel on a cold night. So better if you can add your own.
3) Spare tire for the tailer. (Tractor supply or Wally World.)
4) Wheel bearings, seals, and grease for the trailer. (Unless U Haul has free roadside repairs.). They should be able to tell you the bearing sizes and seal number.
5) Tools for fixing the trailer wiring and a spare trailer side 4 pin trailer light pigtail.
6) Fuel pressure gauge you can hook to the fuel filter system. Diagnose if you are getting fuel and the proper psi.
7) Rechargable impact gun for changing lug nuts.
8) 12v compressor for filling tires.
9) Chains and chain binders for the truck but also the braking axle of the trailer.
10) Spare set of keys.
11) Test light, multi meter, and some lengths of wiring.
12) A couple of flash lights for working at night.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Stu, I had most of what Bart just said, but I figured you would know that. Def a jack and wood. Spare trailer tire. I had a blowout on the way down here and thank God I had it. Impact gun, etc. If you have an air tank I would bring it. I needed it too.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Big Bart @quickster all good stuff gents! At first glance I was thinking Bart the list was a bit exhaustive but then I realized I actually had most of the stuff lol 100% though I will be getting a couple blocks of 2x4 and an air compressor. Probably going to have to buy a cheap one off Amazon but hey, as long as it works I’ll be happy. And I had a floor jack but sold it because I couldn’t see it fitting in the trailer… I hope I don’t regret that later on! And a spare trailer tire, that’s definitely a good idea. I’m going to look into it or just have to consider the insurance package that includes the roadside assistance. I imagine that could take hours depending on the location I’m at.
Headed out to the store a little later to get more stuff, thanks for the advice!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stu, adding to everyones rec is to add 3-4 days, get the heck off the interstates and enjoy the country 2-lane highways. Run around 60 and get to gawking and dreaming. Personally that is what I would do.

I'm from SD, and if you look at a map, and run one of the highways N or S of I-90 and enjoy the ride. I always find those drives much less stressful and more enjoyable, even in my vehicles that happily run 85 mph (VW Passat TDI)

I would add a good road atlas, not a trucker's atlas, as I like using those vs the phone. Oh and I have found much more help on the road side on a 2-lane vs interstates, people are just in better moods and less "h$ll-bent" to get somewhere.

Also, fuel prices are generally cheaper off the interstate cause people love to gouge. I paid $5.79/gal at the needles on I-40 a week ago, and it was $4.89 in Newport Beach CA. (#idiot equals me)

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Stu, adding to everyones rec is to add 3-4 days, get the heck off the interstates and enjoy the country 2-lane highways. Run around 60 and get to gawking and dreaming. Personally that is what I would do.

Unrelated to this topic but that's one thing that sucks about TX:

"Let's make a narrow 2 lane road with no shoulders 75mph!"

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Of course I'm not driving a big RV, but that part doesn't bother me so much. What I don't like is that the speed limit seems to be set by counties instead of by the state. On Hwy 281, you can be driving along at 70 then when you cross a county line, it's now 75. Next county line and it's back to 70.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online