NJ to ID - Road trip time!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll second Can't write on the part about getting off of the interstates if you can. There's so many more interesting things to see in and around the smaller towns that aren't on the interstates.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
@Big Bart @quickster all good stuff gents! At first glance I was thinking Bart the list was a bit exhaustive but then I realized I actually had most of the stuff lol 100% though I will be getting a couple blocks of 2x4 and an air compressor. Probably going to have to buy a cheap one off Amazon but hey, as long as it works I’ll be happy. And I had a floor jack but sold it because I couldn’t see it fitting in the trailer… I hope I don’t regret that later on! And a spare trailer tire, that’s definitely a good idea. I’m going to look into it or just have to consider the insurance package that includes the roadside assistance. I imagine that could take hours depending on the location I’m at.
Headed out to the store a little later to get more stuff, thanks for the advice!
That’s the beauty of a pick up, room for the roadside tools. Folks learn real quick if your car Jack does not work on your trailer that spare tire is not too helpful. Maybe think about the small 1 Ton jack in the plastic box.(With a piece of 4”x4” wood.) We used to take our boat to La Paz Mexico. So got used to over thinking it. But when you had parts your trip it was not put on hold for 2 days trying to overnight parts down. Or you were not stuck for 6 hours in the middle of nowhere hoping your friend found a tow truck at the town 120 miles away. Now if my father in law could just teach his buddies to drive. One ruined the prop by coming on the trailer hot and at an angle. One dragged my new trailer across a Honda and tore the bumper off. (His group towed one way and stayed a week. My group came a different week and towed the other way.) The beefed up custom trailer won! But sure was glad when in the middle of nowhere we had wheel bearings and tools. (Sucks to do that when it’s 118 degrees outside.). And that second spare saved us a half dozen times. FYI used car tires in Mexico work better than néw trailer tires from the US! But a spare does not do much good if the vehicle Jack does not fit under the axle.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Big Bart it sure doesn’t do any good if it doesn’t reach! And the thing about over thinking it is that it covers your *** for those just in case moments. And I’d rather have that stuff and not need it than need it and not have it. Kind of like a gun…
I wish I could have gotten off the interstates on this trip but due to the time constraints for buying the new home I have a schedule I’m trying to stick to. There was a lot of big rigs on the road and had I been able to get off it would have been so much nicer.
The truck ran great though! I’ve reached my first stop for the night outside Toledo, OH. 565 miles and a lot of it was hilly in eastern PA. Definitely some reasonable grades going up the blues and parts of the Appalachian ridge I imagine. During those I had the truck anywhere from 40-50mph going up the grade. Hottest she ever got was 210 degrees. Once I got to Western PA and into OH I had it on cruise control the whole way doing 60mph. At 60 the truck would hold steady at 2,200rpms and 200 degrees. Once that old 6.9NA gets on an open surface and up to speed it’s like the weight was even there. When I went to the scale house full I was at 11,640lbs, 360 under max!

Only thing that’s giving me troubles is a leaky power steering pump… I’m not sure if it’s my dumb fault for over filling it every time and it’s finding a way to purge the excess or if I actually have a problem. I figure I’ll just keep dumping fluid in and hope I can make it to @firehonomichl by Sunday. Maybe a second pair of eyes will help find the problem

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Glad things are going smooth. These trucks are old but still are very reliable when going A to B. Hopefully @fireonomichi stocked the fridge with beer!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for seeing this late, and you're too far along in the trip now for you to change, but when we took trips to ND, I prefered taking I70, picking up 74 in indy, and then 80 near moline. Taking 80/90 through Chicago sucked, where as 70-74-80 was a breeze through the country side. And it only added maybe another 30 or so miles to the trip.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO So I stayed outside Badlands National Park in SD on Sunday night. Little town called Wasta. It was awesome, I think there was 70 people in the town and the room I had was two small town blocks from a bar and grill in town and I went there and had some venison stew and a couple beers with the whopping 3 old timers in the bar. It was great. The next morning I hit the road with high wind advisory and icy roads with flurries. I ended up sliding out three times in Rapid City, SD and almost lost it :/ freaking scary stuff.
I knew I should have bought new tires before I left but K was being cheap… So, it being Sunday I took a hotel in Rapid City for the night and added a day to my trip. Monday morning I went to a local tire shop first thing and they threw on some all terrains in an hour and I was back on the road!
@Big Bart After adding the extra day and then being a wuss sliding around on the ice, I ended up not going over to @firehonomichl :/ bummed me out big time because I wanted to see the old fool and drink all his beer :drunk: he also had some parts for me! But I was going to have to take a detour off the 90 and go up and down a mountain to get to his valley. And I won’t lie, I was just being scared. After fishtailing it’s the day prior I just wanted to get home and take the least amount of chances.
I’m in Butte, MT now. This old NA IDI made it up the continental divide today! 6,393 feet of elevation in the dark. Had me worried for a bit there. I’m grossing 11,640lbs and I was going 25-30mph…. The temp gauge started rising and when it hit 225 degrees I remembered to open the windows and blast the heater to displace some of the heat. That dropped me 15 degrees within minutes which saved my ass. The rest of the climb to the top it started to climb back up and sat around 220 degrees until I topped that freaking mountain!
Honestly I think the flowkooler water pump really did amazing work on this trip. If anyone was considering one here’s proof they work. And @JAKRANCH youd be correct, I’m a free man now! Got my DD214 and no more puddle pushing for this guy :flipa haha Anyways, tomorrow is the last leg to the house. 399 miles, then this old dog gets a good wash and wax, oil change, and a nice garage to sleep in finally!

Attachments

• 11DDDEF1-0845-4144-B540-F45184C6E682.jpeg
    11DDDEF1-0845-4144-B540-F45184C6E682.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 8

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to our great state! Sounds like you're going to beat feet this last leg, but if you need anything I'm just a couple hours north of Missoula. Ive got spare parts, timing meter, and hot coffee. If you decide to detour, I'd love to host ya. Otherwise, here's your virtual wave!

Glad you made it to Butte!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Well I am sure Firehonomichi missed you, but did not miss you drinking all his beer!

Glad you did not crash the truck in the snow and ice. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88