the worst engineering part of your Ford?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
...I forgot to add the sucky turning radius!

I adjusted my bumpstops in on Bruiser's D44 TTB. Everyone was always amazed that I could get such a big SCLB truck turned around with so little space. Radius arms are shiney bare metal where the 35's would rub though. :rotflmao

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
RATTLE squeek RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE
OBS dashboards and also the little panels with the PW/L switches on the door panels. Structural plastic in general. The slant and brick I owned previously were dead quiet by comparison, but the OBS :mad:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The obs dash mounts break. Yours is probably broken.
Only noises I get are from my doors. Where the upper mirror mount is, the door skin has broken loose inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The obs dash mounts break. Yours is probably broken.

Oh, it is definitely broken, and all along the top also at the defroster vents. I tried retrofitting it with the pass side metal bracket from a junkyard donor, but I think it needs a whole new dash. I'm guessing that when every one of the mounts (top, sides and bottom) aren't broken, the dash repair bracket from the related FSB is a good fix, but not for mine!
Bad engineering, and not an improvement over the previous design.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
ZF5... While not a Ford engineered trans it was a poor choice. For a while I had settle into accepting annual ZF5 replacements due to broken aluminum cases.

Metric fasteners, I have not seen that mentioned.

Aside from that most have been covered...

TTB axles. Never broke a D50 but have had rapid wear and wasted time and money rebuilding them before giving up and just swapping a D60 under my trucks. Broke many D44 TTB axle shafts and ujoints.

Headlight switch/lack of relay has been there on every truck
Sterling axle seals, though seems mostly fixed with the newer two piece seal

Many annoying little things I'm sure that don't immediately come to mind but I've done on many trucks... But overall I think 80-97 Ford trucks are best trucks ever made. I like the body and interior styling of the earlier trucks better but overall the later trucks are the pinnacle, it was downhill after these, largely because the DOT and EPA put their sights on trucks by the late 90s.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dome lights blow too. Not sure if that was mentioned but I'm sure you guys had read my thread of adding the second dome light and replacing the milky dark covers with clear ones from eBay. Nice and bright now.

You must be registered for see images attach

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dome lights blow too. Not sure if that was mentioned but I'm sure you guys had read my thread of adding the second dome light and replacing the milky dark covers with clear ones from eBay. Nice and bright now.

You must be registered for see images attach
That's a huge improvement.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF5... While not a Ford engineered trans it was a poor choice. For a while I had settle into accepting annual ZF5 replacements due to broken aluminum cases.

Metric fasteners, I have not seen that mentioned.

Aside from that most have been covered...

TTB axles. Never broke a D50 but have had rapid wear and wasted time and money rebuilding them before giving up and just swapping a D60 under my trucks. Broke many D44 TTB axle shafts and ujoints.

Headlight switch/lack of relay has been there on every truck
Sterling axle seals, though seems mostly fixed with the newer two piece seal

Many annoying little things I'm sure that don't immediately come to mind but I've done on many trucks... But overall I think 80-97 Ford trucks are best trucks ever made. I like the body and interior styling of the earlier trucks better but overall the later trucks are the pinnacle, it was downhill after these, largely because the DOT and EPA put their sights on trucks by the late 90s.
The OBS is now my favorite truck. Growing up the 70s Ford was my definition of a truck, but the OBS has taken number one for me. Especially with the diesel. :)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dome lights yeah.omg those factory POS lol!

attachment.php

attachment.php

instructions:
https://www.oilburners.net/forums/s...uck-pic-heavy)&p=775477&viewfull=1#post775477

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, it is definitely broken, and all along the top also at the defroster vents. I tried retrofitting it with the pass side metal bracket from a junkyard donor, but I think it needs a whole new dash. I'm guessing that when every one of the mounts (top, sides and bottom) aren't broken, the dash repair bracket from the related FSB is a good fix, but not for mine!
Bad engineering, and not an improvement over the previous design.

sounds like you let it go too long.had it been repaired when first broken,the rest of the upper dash wouldn't of broken.

repair instructions;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-Gen-F-Series-Dash-Repair&p=887162#post887162

The OBS is now my favorite truck. Growing up the 70s Ford was my definition of a truck, but the OBS has taken number one for me. Especially with the diesel. :)

;Sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-kOeP939a4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SaTT-e_rug

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Haha I thought of another one..

Ever notice how long you have to crank just to lower a window?

After about five minutes I give up and leave the window half way down LOL :rotflmao

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
dome lights yeah.omg those factory POS lol!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Every Ford truck I've had got a Taurus dome light installed after my next junkyard trip. $4 and with some LEDs you can do surgery in there it's so bright!

Maybe someone fudged a digit on an order back in '79 and the factory found themselves stuck with 10,000,000 robot-face dome lights, and had to use every one over the next 15 years instead of the newer designs they put in pass cars?

(When I had just purchased this newest truck, my wife ACTUALLY said "guess you're doing the glow plugs and dome light now?" She knows the drill...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online