the truck overhaul of my 85 ford

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Gotta love the 85 body style.

Nice looking truck man......it'll be a shame to see that engine get dirty!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the color of the truck BROWN! awesome color! Great Project! FORD BLUE ENGINE :rotflmao

Great way to spend the day! everyday! :yell:

Keep It UP! ;Sweet

Javier

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I like the brown too. I thought about painting it a different color but I'm going to leave brown

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I have to say for some reason I haven't followed this thread too much but I got up to date and it the project looks impressive!, good to see that you are not cutting corners, you are taking your time with all of the right parts and making a truck to be proud of that will last a long time. Nice job!

One question that I have since I have been running a C6 forever is, What torque converter are you planning on using? I have a lower stall diesel torque converter in mine that works well but I have been wanting to try this one out:

TCI C6 Maximizer™ High Towing Torque Converters RV - 1988-94 Ford C6 with 7.3L Diesel

It is supposed to keep the motor locked up better than stock ones for less slippage, better power transfer, better mileage, and cooler trans temps.

So if ya don't mind, buy this one try it out and let me know how it works,..:sly

Also what gears are you running and do you plan on an overdrive of some sort?

Keep up the great work!

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say for some reason I haven't followed this thread too much but I got up to date and it the project looks impressive!, good to see that you are not cutting corners, you are taking your time with all of the right parts and making a truck to be proud of that will last a long time. Nice job!

One question that I have since I have been running a C6 forever is, What torque converter are you planning on using? I have a lower stall diesel torque converter in mine that works well but I have been wanting to try this one out:

TCI C6 Maximizer™ High Towing Torque Converters RV - 1988-94 Ford C6 with 7.3L Diesel

It is supposed to keep the motor locked up better than stock ones for less slippage, better power transfer, better mileage, and cooler trans temps.

So if ya don't mind, buy this one try it out and let me know how it works,..:sly

Also what gears are you running and do you plan on an overdrive of some sort?

Keep up the great work!

thanks its been a big job! And its really funny you asked about the torque converter because I bought TCI C-6 maximer it really did sound impressive.;Sweet Im gonna run 355 gears and I had 411 gears in it.Im gonna get a gear vender for it next year just wanna get all the bugs out of it first.Can you tell me where you got your front bumper on your truck I love it.;Sweet Also what kinda mileage are ya getin with your truck if you dont mind.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
thanks its been a big job! And its really funny you asked about the torque converter because I bought TCI C-6 maximer it really did sound impressive.;Sweet Im gonna run 355 gears and I had 411 gears in it.Im gonna get a gear vender for it next year just wanna get all the bugs out of it first.Can you tell me where you got your front bumper on your truck I love it.;Sweet Also what kinda mileage are ya getin with your truck if you dont mind.

Great to hear that you are gong to try out the Mazimizer, I have been wondering how it good it is and now I have a Guinea pig to give it a shot before I do. :sly so Thanks.

It took me a long time to find this front bumper, It is a Warn ***** bumper that they made for these vintage trucks. It is the same bumper that they used on the Big Foot trucks when they were running these body styles. I don't think they make them anymore, I found mine on E-bay used about 4 years ago. They are out there but are hard to find and you have to pay good money if they are in good shape to buy them. Then have it shipped. I was fortunate enough to be making a trip at the time I bought it so I was able to pick it up instead of having it shipped.

For fuel mileage It seems to get 15 MPG no matter what I am doing with the truck, Just checked last tank was 15.5 as of yesterday. Not bad for a 8200 pound truck!

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about the guage package-where you got it part num etc. want to do samething

hello well I bought my guage cluster through Twin falls hot rod shop the phone number is 208-324-5763 thats the cheapest place I found and the ship every directly from the factory to you.

the price is from factory it will be cheaper througe the hotrod in twin falls same with the other items i list

VFD3-1010--guage cluster $660.00

if you want the gear indicator to work you will have to have this unit.

GSS-2000--gear indicator sensor $99.95

and if you want the tack to work you will want a tachometer interface this one works off the fly wheel

DSL-2--Tachometer interface sensor for the flywheel $110.00

Like I said all prices should be cheaper throught the hot rod shop in twin falls just call them and they will get the items ordered and help with any of your questions .

More good info on cluster

Displays included with this instrument system: Speedometer (0-255 MPH or KPH), Tachometer, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Voltmeter, Fuel Level.
Also shown is: Odometer, Trip Odometer, Resettable Service Odometer and Hourmeter.
Several performance calculations include: 0-60 MPH (0-100 KPH) timer, ¼ mile timer, ¼ mile speed display, High Speed recall and High RPM recall.
Various Indicators can also be displayed such as: Turn Signals, High Beam, Check Engine, Parking Brake, Cruise Control, 4x4 (when equipped), Wait to Start (when equipped).
Automatic Transmission gear indicator is also included which will display the full name (ie: Park, Overdrive, etc.) of the current gear. Utilizing the gear position indicator will require the use of a Dakota Digital GSS-2000 sending unit.
Dakota Digital instruments systems also include a Demonstration Mode which will cycle the instrument readouts while the vehicle is standing still. This is especially popular while the vehicle is on display at a show, event or simply displaying the instrument system.
Full Metric conversions will cycle between MPH or KPH with the press of a button. If full (Celsius & KPH) metric instrument systems are required, please specify upon ordering.
Necessary sensors included for oil pressure (1/8” NPT), Water Temp (1/8" with bushings for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2” NPT) and speedometer pulse generator. *** For LS engine packages a 12mm 12x 1.5 sender is included along with the 1/8" NPT oil pressure with bushings to adapt to metric threads. Speed sender or adaptors not included for LS engine packages If a cross between a LS engine and a Standard transmission is used (700R4, 350, 400...) then a SEN-01-1 will need to be purchased separately.
Fuel level gauge can read either OEM sensor, or any aftermarket style currently available. A universal fuel level sender, SEN-06-1, can be purchased from Dakota Digital if necessary.
Fully programmable speedometer for various tire sizes, rear-end gearing combinations, etc.
Built-in dimmer will reduce the display intensity as headlights/ parking lights are activated.
Fully adjustable warning points alert the user of potential vehicle problems.
Dakota Digital Instrument systems are normally shipped from the factory with "0" miles on the odometer. If you would like mileage added to the odometer, this can be done at the factory for a charge of $20. Please contact Dakota Digital to arrange this service.
** Covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty!
*** See standard color options Blue or Teal.

Good luck I hope this helps

Attachments

• my gauge panel.gif
    my gauge panel.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 101

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got the AC unit and the heater ,steering colum,brake system and wiper motor all put back on cab and unused holes on cab filled .next step is painting fire wall. I hoping by next weekend having motor and transmission put back in. Thank you lord! ;Sweet