The Effects of Proper IP Timing

suv7734

Reaction score
Just ran into some online information about my truck through the emissions testing site we have here. Every year we have to pass an emissions test before we can renew our insurance. A few years ago I had my IP off to do some work and put it back on and didn't time it with a meter. Testing time came around so I thought I'd just do it since it had been running well... wrong idea! I failed the test with an 89% opacity reading (particulate) meaning a lot of fuel being wasted (incomplete burn). That was on 23 March, 2001. I brought it back to the shop and set the timing properly a few days later (nothing else touched) and ran it through the test again. On 27 March, 2001 the opacity reading was now 4%. Quite a difference. Here's a pic of some of the available readings.

Attachments

• opacity.jpg
    opacity.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good reasons for having the motor timed properly too. Gees... Just the costs of wasted fuel will turn into high dollars if the motor isn't timed right. That alone covers the costs of having the motor timed. I just don't like someone under my hood and charging me $80.00 to do what I can do.... If I had the Snapon meter. Its on the have-to-have-it list.....:D