Tech-Time 3300 ??

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
Yes , I did not have the problems some have had getting it in. i used a card pushed it all the way in them pulled out the card. I checked that it was going in far enough. I might try moving Pieso clamp right above injector , and make sure its running 2000 rpm.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
The engine starts great and runs good , but unfortunatlyI have a small fuel leak coming off the back of the R&D pump. I can't see where its leaking from, I was thinking ill cover it with powered chalk then look for the sourse of the leak, hope its not the pump. If its the injection lines i connected i guess ill be taking them off to get to the bottom,then reinstalling.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injector line has to be very clean and I found a shot of WD-40 helped get a better reading, but, I had the same problem you described until I removed the spring from the probe. Just my .02

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tryed to time my new pump today, with this unit. Off set at 20 . RPM is 650 but timing shows - 20 ? Do I need to rev it up to 2000 rpm to get a correct reading ? Piezo clamped on straight section of # 1 inject red lead with black/ground clamped to same line. I did rev it some but all i get is - 20. Magnet probe hooked up in the right location.
The setting is at 2000 rpm. If you’re getting a clean rpm reading, then the piezo sensor is installed and working correctly.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Yes , I did not have the problems some have had getting it in. i used a card pushed it all the way in them pulled out the card. I checked that it was going in far enough. I might try moving Pieso clamp right above injector , and make sure its running 2000 rpm.
So to see the offset you had to move the switch to the “offset“ setting. Did you move the switch to “probe“ setting after to check the timing? You may be just seeing the offset because it’s on the “offset” setting. Perhaps you did and it just happens to be at 20* but it should change some with rpm changes.

As TNBrett shared above the piezo is working you will see rpm with the engine running. Also it is suggested to remove the paint on the injector line under the piezo if it is not registering. Try flipping it the other way as another way to get it to work. Keep it as close to the injector as possible.

Just a reminder, never set the IP timing with the engine running.

You must be registered for see images attach

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see quite a few YouTubers like Mike Green and some other dude adjust timing with the engine running. What does it cause?

Never-Have-I-Ether

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why set it to 20°? I thought it was supposed to be 8.5° BTDC?

Never-Have-I-Ether

Last edited:

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I did turn it to off set and it was already at 20 high setting ,then too probe , started Truck got 650 rpm and - 20 degrees. After reading instruction I may of had the probe hooked up before the battery connections , which in the fine print it tells you not to do. Hope that did not damage it. I did not take the RPM up to 2000. Just to verify the hook up of Pieso Clamp red wire to the little spring connection on clamp , black wire clip to groung engine or same injector line ( cylinder # 1 ) which i sanded paint off ? The magnet probe in the longer of the two tubes passenger side engine crank dampner , which i did not clean. I try agian make sure i clean everthing with alchol , hook up the Timing Meter to battery first , and rev to 2000 RPM . Sure hope it works. Thanks .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I see quite a few YouTubers like Mike Green and some other dude adjust timing with the engine running. What does it cause?

Never-Have-I-Ether
In rare cases, the pump can lock up. When it does, it will move to the side as it stops the engine. If you're trying to use any sort of tool to adjust the timing when this happens, injury or even death could result. Yes, pumps do lock up. I've seen this happen. It moved as far as the slots and studs let it. All three nuts were tight. You Tube videos are mostly for views. The person/people in the video may or may not know what they're doing. It may or may not be safe. It also may or may not be accurate. If you have any questions about safety, etc., please feel free to ask here. We're NOT here for the views! We're here for the engines.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The probe has to go almost all the way to the dampener. Typically the probe is 8mm and the tube is 5/16”. You can either gently file down the OD of the probe (that’s what I did), or enlarge the tube.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Why set it to 20°? I thought it was supposed to be 8.5° BTDC?

Never-Have-I-Ether

NeverHave let’s break this down.

There are three settings to keep in mind.
1) Timing - The setting is 8.5* BTDC but some find they like 9* or 9.5* better. Mine is at 8.5* BTDC and I am happy with that.
2) RPM - You check the timing at 2,000 rpm.
3) Offset - The pickup hole on the timing cover over the crank damper is not at 0*. It is at 20* and so you have to set the meter offset to make up for the 20* and thus get the true timing degree result. (If you use the DTI timing gun, or a regular one off your pick up bar on the Tach Time, you do not need the 20* offset.)

So to check your timing with the switch on the Tech Time set to “probe”. Then you will see RPM and timing in the windows. Run the truck up to 2,000rpm and the meter will tell you the timing. Then shut down and move towards the passenger fender to advance and drivers fender to retard. If your timing is off more than 5* you may have to loosen the injector lines too to be able to move the pump enough.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I did turn it to off set and it was already at 20 high setting ,then too probe , started Truck got 650 rpm and - 20 degrees. After reading instruction I may of had the probe hooked up before the battery connections , which in the fine print it tells you not to do. Hope that did not damage it. I did not take the RPM up to 2000. Just to verify the hook up of Pieso Clamp red wire to the little spring connection on clamp , black wire clip to groung engine or same injector line ( cylinder # 1 ) which i sanded paint off ? The magnet probe in the longer of the two tubes passenger side engine crank dampner , which i did not clean. I try agian make sure i clean everthing with alchol , hook up the Timing Meter to battery first , and rev to 2000 RPM . Sure hope it works. Thanks .

1) Sounds like you are setting it up correctly. Just a reminder that #1 cylinder is passenger side by radiator. (Guessing you already know that but I do not want to assume.)
2) But you have to check the timing at 2,000 rpm, so run it up and see what you get for a timing reading.
3) Although you should heed their warnings I don’t think you killed the meter yet.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
No. 1 passenger side by the Radaitor with the pulse adaptor. Instructions also say " if the magnetic probe is not close enough to flywheel or is not connected properly, timing unit will display the correct RPM but the degrees shown will be the negative value of the offset programmed into the unit ". Ill try agian , going to clean up the hole & dampner . I noticed paint & rust on the dampner , i guess there is a grove or something on it that the probe is reading ?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some have said to clean the cut line on the balancer to improve signal to the meter.