Tech-Time 3300 ??

srunner

Reaction score
Any one using A Tech-Time Model 3300 to time your IDI? Just wanted some tips and make sure I'm using it right. It seems I'm a bit advanced it's reading 10.5 @ 2000 RPM. But i'm Still not sure I got it set up right. Anyone do avid on this unit? or a step by step?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked Gary about that meter a while back. He was not familiar with it. There is a gentleman in the timing registry that has one. I asked him about it and he said it works great. I didn't get deep enough to ask specifics. Might go look him up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing registry is in the pinned threads at top of page...tech articles ...start here....timing registry...etc

You must be registered for see images attach

See

Last edited:

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instructions are missing. If you call tinytach they will send you instructions.
quick run down of use
1. sand off all paint on number 1 injector line near injector for ground clamp and piezo clamp
2. clamp piezo sensor onto line one
3. attach lead from timing meter onto piezo sensor and attach ground clamp on injector line
4. insert pickup probe into tube on timing pointer, as close as possible to damper without touching, may have to clean tube with drill bit.
5. plug leads in for pickup and piezo to timing meter
6. connect leads from timing meter to battery. red positive, black ground
7. turn knob to offset and use red adjusting buttons till 20 degrees is displayed.
8. turn knob back to probe. I have the trigger point switch set to high
9. start previously warmed up engine, rev to 2000 and read display.
10. adjust and repeat as needed
sometimes the reading are strange, this is usually due to bad contact on the piezo clamp and injector ground.
I have my timing set to 6, seems low but engine is smoother, quieter, and revs out better then more advance settings.
Be consistent when timing and experiment with different settings, your engine demands, driving style and your preference is going to differ from others.

srunner

Reaction score
Instructions are missing. If you call tinytach they will send you instructions.
quick run down of use
1. sand off all paint on number 1 injector line near injector for ground clamp and piezo clamp
2. clamp piezo sensor onto line one
3. attach lead from timing meter onto piezo sensor and attach ground clamp on injector line
4. insert pickup probe into tube on timing pointer, as close as possible to damper without touching, may have to clean tube with drill bit.
5. plug leads in for pickup and piezo to timing meter
6. connect leads from timing meter to battery. red positive, black ground
7. turn knob to offset and use red adjusting buttons till 20 degrees is displayed.
8. turn knob back to probe. I have the trigger point switch set to high
9. start previously warmed up engine, rev to 2000 and read display.
10. adjust and repeat as needed
sometimes the reading are strange, this is usually due to bad contact on the piezo clamp and injector ground.
I have my timing set to 6, seems low but engine is smoother, quieter, and revs out better then more advance settings.
Be consistent when timing and experiment with different settings, your engine demands, driving style and your preference is going to differ from others.

Ok Cool thank you

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usualky place 3 busines cards between dampner and mag prob hole...insert mag probe to contact cards...remove cards...seems to read w my Kent Moore J33300 meter well.

This accounts for any potential runnout and you wont goober eff up yer expensive probe

JM7.3CW Eh!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I usualky place 3 busines cards between dampner and mag prob hole...insert mag probe to contact cards...remove cards...seems to read w my Kent Moore J33300 meter well.

This accounts for any potential runnout and you wont goober eff up yer expensive probe

JM7.3CW Eh!

I do the same. If the mag probe end collects any damper dirt it stops working. Easy fix. Just remove the probe. Wipe off and dirt seen and reinstall the probe.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have found all the parts for the tech time units still for sale through tinytach. 65 bucks for a new crank pickup

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
i tryed to time my new pump today, with this unit. Off set at 20 . RPM is 650 but timing shows - 20 ? Do I need to rev it up to 2000 rpm to get a correct reading ? Piezo clamped on straight section of # 1 inject red lead with black/ground clamped to same line. I did rev it some but all i get is - 20. Magnet probe hooked up in the right location.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your magnet probe have a little springy doo-hicky around the barrel portion? If so, I had to remove that springy thing to get the probe close enough to the damper. About 1 business card thickness away from the damper seems to give a good reading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online