Timing 7.3

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchase a DTI 3300 and started working on my truck. i finally got the pickup to fit in the hole. Then I had to wait for it to cool some to connect the sensor to the fuel line. Got it to read. Timing was 2.1 at 2000 rpm. Tried loosening up the ip bolts. The one on the passenger side is so hard to get to. I am working on a wrench but it got too dark and I’m hurting too much. I’ll work on it more in the morning. Any suggestions. I’ll start by removing the high idle solenoid. It doesn’t work anyway.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stubby open-end wrench works great for that nut. You can only turn it one flat at a time. But you don't need many turns to loosen it enough to adjust the pump.

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the temp sensor on the passenger side. Somehow I broke the top off of mine working on that bottom IP nut.

James

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stickie somewhere or the tech section should have the build a wrench pic I post (I think)
Lost the ability to post from Amazon pics. Anymore.
Pull the idle up solenoid off to access the 3rd bolt

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop off throttle cable also.
For driver's side I just ground down the thickness of a box end wrench. Works fine.

gandalf

Reaction score
If you're moderately enterprising and want to fashion your own wrench to remove that stubborn and hard to reach bottom IP bolt, here is the annotated plan set to make your own wrench.

Attachments

• timingwrench.jpg
    timingwrench.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 35

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to move it barely. Does the - before the timing mean anything or can I just ignore it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a wrench like the one in the pic above. I used a propane torch to heat it while clamped in a vise, then hit it with a hammer to bend it. It took some trial and error to get the right angles, I just kept bending, grinding, and testing it on the truck until I could get all the bolts with it. I definitely recommend going this route for the IP bolts.