Surprising Bearing Defect ?

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unpacked my King bearings last night and found this Thrust Bearing . Is this a new and improved design? I’ve never seen a Main Thrust Bearing that didn’t have material that met up completely on the Thrust face. View media item 479View media item 478
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, if give the supplier a call Monday and see what they say. I can get you pics of majle/clevite bearings if you need it

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you , that would be great . I do have my original bearings that I could show the manufacturer but a photo of the competitors bearing might be better .

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, if give the supplier a call Monday and see what they say. I can get you pics of majle/clevite bearings if you need it

Clevite:

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the only picture I have of my thrust bearing from my last rebuild. It's not very good, but HTH

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice photo . Shows a complete bearing made up of two halves . Ulike my king bearing that has about 10 degrees of material missing at the mating surface

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never seen one like yours either. They've always been like in genscripter's picture. Here again, I've never seen (or heard of) King brand bearings.

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen one like yours either. They've always been like in genscripter's picture. Here again, I've never seen (or heard of) King brand bearings.
Pretty nuts right ? I’ve used King on gassers with no prob and I read here (on OB) that they were ok to use for idi’s but I guess I got some bad ones. I just now ordered a set of Clevite 77 , I don’t want to take chances or wait to see if the replacement set of King bearings they send me will be good or not . Thank you guys for having a look and commenting .

Shaker Breaker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some new bearings are aluminum instead of lead over copper. Is that what you have?
They probably are but what concerned me the most is that if you look where the two bearing halves meet , you will see a piece of pie or pie shape is missing : Both halves have been ground off so they do not meet up flush . View media item 479

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen that style in aftermarket for building gassers but was unaware that had made its way into the idi world. If that’s what it really is then it should be fine to use, but I have no prior experience with them on these engines so cannot say how it will hold up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726