Supporting Motor When Trans Is Out....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do I need to place supports under the motor when I pull the trans out or will the motor mounts hold it without any strain on the mounts or Banks Sidewinder turbo? I will be replacing the flex plate along with the trans. Just wondering.....:dunno

suv7734

Reaction score
I've always figured it's better to be safe than sorry for the time it takes. Also helps prevent things from possibly moving around when you go to wrestle the trans back in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gary-
You definitely need to support the motor. the motor mounts do not sit at a centerline balance point whatsoever.
If you dimple a piece of thick plywood so the hole centers on the drain plug, you will be able to spread the weight out on the bottom of the oil pan so there won't be any denting issues.
good luck!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use a 2X4 against the back of the pan, below the trailing edge. it's pretty stiff there, and won't dent, plus that is your point of maximum leverage, so the least amount of weight will show up there. By and large the engine really will sit without support, but you don't want to risk bending a fan blade or cracking a shroud or something dumb like that. Always support the weight of the trans with something.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks all for the information. I felt all along that it needed to be supported but thought I would ask for sure. I fixed the trans case from BTS. I had to buy a 37/64th bit and a 3/8x18 pipe tap with straight threads, not tapered. The drilling went easy.... After I bought a new drill motor that would handle a 1/2 inch shank bit. I forgot all I have at home is 3/8 chuck drill motors. Gees... What I'll do for more tools...:angel: Anyway the trans is setup for all 3/8 stainless steel lines and ready to go in tomorrow. I had lunch around 2PM and fell asleep waiting for my new flywheel to come from BTS 2nd day air mail. Well, at a few minutes after 4 PM the mail came and guess what..... The flywheel was sitting on the porch.... Now I'm sure sweetpea didn't carry it on her route today. Someone didn't knock on the door when it was dropped off.... So just a little time was lost... Remember its been just over 1 year that my truck has been down. And we can all laugh at all the crap and troubles I have had. But things are looken up!!!......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online