Super Loose Steering

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i've taken a short break from tinkering, but I might take it up again once it gets a little warmer out.

The thing that's been on my mind is the looseness of the steering in my van. This is my first "big vehicle," so I'm not really sure what it's supposed to feel like.

To me it seems like there's just a bunch of backlash in the steering box, but I don't know if that's changable. I can move the steering wheel a good amount before it starts turning in the other direction. (hand on top of the steering wheel can move back and forth about 3-4 inches and the van will still stay straight.)

If I take off the steering box and try to rebuild it will I be wasting my time?

~Jeff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most folks that I've talked to have not had good luck trying to adjust the backlash. If you really want to get rid of it, your probably better off just replacing the steering box. I'd say at least 1" to 2" of play is pretty average.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
really? shoot, ok...

haven't looked into how much that would cost and I'm really low on the dough...anyone have any suggestions?

~Jeff

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
If I get a new box, is there a certain amount of backlash that it will still have? I guess is the backlash that I currently have worthy of a replacement?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Around here $150.00 will buy you a rebuilt box. Have the shop pull and install the arm for you. It takes some special tools.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't tell anything from inside the truck! It could be the gearbox, tie rods, anything. Any one worn component will create lots of play in the steering.

If you don't know how to check the steering components, take it to a shop that can do it.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! Although it could be the box, make sure it's not something else.

Get a helper to turn the streering wheel back and forth quickly in the dead zone. Get underneath and trace the steering linkages from the pitman arm, all the way to the spindles. Loose wheel bearings and balljoints whill do this too!

If the pitman arm isn't even moving while they shake the steering wheel, then you've got your culprit.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rag joint that attaches the steering column to the gear box before running out for a new gearbox. They get worn and sloppy on old vehicles and only cost about $10 - $15.

It's a common problem and they are usually carried in the self help section of most autoparts stores.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the info guys. so far I've only been thinking about repairing it. We'll see how it goes.

I'll see what I can figure out under the car when I get the chance. I've got a million tests and assignments coming up that I won't have much time.

~Jeff

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i agree with tonkadoctor on that one. my truck was the same way when i bought it, i would recomend fixing it as soon as you can because i blew out a tire and it put me in the ditch at 65 miles per hour. it turned out to be the rag joint after i replaced it the steering is stiffer than my 2004 f450 company truck.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the info guys. so far I've only been thinking about repairing it. We'll see how it goes.

I'll see what I can figure out under the car when I get the chance. I've got a million tests and assignments coming up that I won't have much time.

Now that's a scary statement.

Safety first Jeff...There's no excuse worth putting off failed steering components. Poor steering components are a BIG No No, If something breaks you're at the mercy of fate, God or whatever you beleive in...You can't get your tests and assignments done laid up in a hospital bed or a coffin.

Most steering components don't take long to change.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's true, but you can wind up spending a lot of time/money chasing down steering problems on my truck and still haven't gotten it like I want it. I have
Replaced the steering box X2, was a bad reman box
repacked wheel bearings
changed shocksx2
radius arm bushings
steering drag link
inner tie rod ends
New tires
The tire shop also aligned my truck. They said that my axle(TIB) is pretty worn out. I know my kingpins are a little sloppy. I can keep good control of teh truck in all conditions, I just wish the handling were a bit more secure. I don't know what an 80s F-series truck handled in perfect condition.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what an 80s F-series truck handled in perfect condition.

They weren't that great. TTB geometry blows for handeling. BTW, have you ever had someone crank the wheels while you watched to see if the rivet were loose, it's not an uncommon problem, especially on lifted big tire 4x4s.

I had an '82 F-150 Reg cab long bed 4x4 and my Dad had an '82 Bronco. We both bought them used with low miles when they were 2 or 3 years old. I think my Dads Bronco had only 13,000 on it and it was a handfull to me. The F-150 fared a bit better probably due to the longer wheelbase. TTB is not a good suspension for handeling. My F150 always reminded me of a road grader when the tires were turned full left or full right with the 32" tire on it.

I used to have a video of me having it airborne jumping sand dunes, (yes copious amounts of alcohol were involved :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: ), and when the suspension is hanging the tires look like a "V" and when bottomed they looked like an upside down "V" as the tires are tucked deep in the fenderwells. That was a great truck, I beat it hard for 10 years and it never let me down or left me stranded;Sweet wish I never traded it.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Now that's a scary statement.

Safety first Jeff...There's no excuse worth putting off failed steering components. Poor steering components are a BIG No No, If something breaks you're at the mercy of fate, God or whatever you beleive in...You can't get your tests and assignments done laid up in a hospital bed or a coffin.

Most steering components don't take long to change.

Point taken.

I don't drive it that much...I've just been working on it to hopefully make it my main vehicle soon. I'll definitely fix it, it just whether or not i fix something else first. Maybe I'll bring it in since you're right, it is pretty important.

I got the van for dirt, so it still needs a lot. But hey...I appreciate the concern.

~Jeff

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
First off, don't mess with the box. Peeps automatically jump to it as a magic fix all. It's NOT. The box has very close tolerances. Tightening it just axasperates the allready worn suspension componants.

Start by doing a complete suspension inspection. The rag joint is a common wear item. The older fiber type shafts can be replaced with the newer rubber type.
I'd allmost bet you've got worn tie rod ends. Possibly your kingpins/balljoints are shot? Take a long look at the tension rod and control arm bushings. I'd bet they look pretty worn?

I just went thru the complete front end of my 85. Everything is new from the king pins to the intermediate steering shaft, including Poly tension and control arm bushings. It steered pretty good, still a slight wander. So I got a set of these.>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Radius-Arm-Bushing-Tensioner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQihZ003QQitemZ130076848891QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I was amazed at what a difference it made. Such a simple little thing, but works wonders.

If you determine that the steering gear box is in need of replacement, then these guys are the only ones to buy from. $226. +exchange
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/