sudden excessive rattle

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
My truck seems to have developed a sudden excessive rattle. Almost sounds like a cold engine or even a powerstroke or like the timing is way too advanced.

I changed the IP recently and its been acting fine for the most part. I set the timing by ear as my ferret and timing light setup didn't seem to show an accurate reading. Needless to say it was running fine and still seems fine just very loud all of the sudden. I set the timing slightly retarded thinking it would help but no go. It has me worried!

Everything looks fine oil pressure, pyro and water temp. I have good fuel flow at the schrader valve as well.

Its the most noticeable when the engine doesn't have a load on it or when the transmission is about to shift.

I took a video of it trying to catch it for others to hear. I can hear it in the video but its not as noticeable as in person. You guys have a listen and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzCbgAEI0&feature=plcp

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was this just a used replacement pump or did some shop rebuild this for you. How many miles are on the injectors. They appear to be grey and maybe they are the original ones. I'm really not hearing any abnormal sounds but get it to the rally. Have Mel time it for you. Or at least listen to it. At no other time will there be more idi information in one place than the rally. Everyone is enjoyable to visit and talk with too about whatever comes up. Be warned.... Don't ask what some members do for a living unless your open to all kinds of "stuff"....:eek::angel::D

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it seem to come from one cylinder or have you just noticed the entire engine is making alot of noise?? It's kind of hard for me to hear video due to my excessive tractor driving without earplugs LOL. Also when it is rattling, does the truck seem to have more power??

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Gary the pump is a used replacement pump bought from another member here. The Injectors were replaced a few years back.

The rattling is coming from the whole engine as far as I can tell. The power doesn't seem to be affected by the rattle.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINALLY someone else is experiencing the same thing as me. I have yet to trace what causes it, last time it did it was this spring. I was driving it then stopped to help a farmer with a stuck tractor. I just let my truck idle while i helped him. About 10 minutes later i got back to my truck and went to take off and it was making the noise. I drove about a 1/4 mile down the road and then stopped and shut it off for ten seconds, fired it back up and its never made the noise since. Its so sporadic i cant begin to think of what to blame. One time i was driving with a needles width above empty and it started doing it so i filled up and it went away. Another time it did it at 3/4 of a tank but then after i let it sit over night it didn't do it again for that entire tank.

Everything is about how you described it. Incredibly loud rattle, but no difference in power or smoke levels or anything. Whenever I'm accelerating it will get louder and louder then the transmission shifts and it goes away for a little bit till the engine revs back up and then it comes back. The only thing i can think of is its something with my pump but even thats a WAG. My pump has about 30k miles on it and for about the last 10 its done this occasional rattle.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Jake where did your pump come from?

I forgot to mention Ive been running this pump about 3 weeks now. This is the same one I was having a hard time getting to prime. It took 4 or 5 hours to prime.

I was messing with the timing lever thing on the side of the pump and if I push it in a bit the truck stops rattling.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jake where did your pump come from?

I honestly wish i could remember. I had to replace it right after i got the truck and before i had idi fever but i dont remember where i got it from. I dont have any other issues with my pump, no hard priming or anything.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I hear it, honestly sounds like the timing is too far advanced. My WAG is that something is strange with your advance piston.
Here's a thought, while it's idling and rattling away, push the advance plunger in by hand. (that arm thinger on the drivers side of the pump) Then see what happens. It aught to just run like crap, but might take away the rattle. That would tell you it's a pump issue. It's just a WAG tho.

As for the ferret, did you clean your injector line enough? Are you sure you tightened the clamp down enough? A dirty line, or a loose clamp can give really wonkey readings.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like the cold timing advance solenoid has come on.
after a little bit running my rebuilt ip from that U-Haul inventory clear out there,mine did that once.i was like wow oh my god! what's that hahaha.i pulled over and didn't see anything.then it occurred to me what it was.i started it back up and it has never happened again for several thousands miles latter (still on that ip).i figured due to sitting on their self for who knows how long,that advance timing solenoid just stuck,or whatever.since she hasn't done it again,my guess was likely right.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I pushed in on the advance plunger and the rattle goes away.

I sanded the injector line to bare metal and the ferret seemed to be acting fine. The light was steadily blinking but my timing light would only show 4 degrees with the pump as far advanced as it would go. I could tell by the sound it was way too advanced though so I backed it off quite a bit and just left it.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
sounds like the cold timing advance solenoid has come on.
after a little bit running my rebuilt ip from that U-Haul inventory clear out there,mine did that once.i was like wow oh my god! what's that hahaha.i pulled over and didn't see anything.then it occurred to me what it was.i started it back up and it has never happened again for several thousands miles latter (still on that ip).i figured due to sitting on their self for who knows how long,that advance timing solenoid just stuck,or whatever.since she hasn't done it again,my guess was likely right.

I thought that may have been the problem but my thermal switch for the cold advance has been dead since I bought the truck. I unplugged it thinking it may have come back to life but its still dead.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that may have been the problem but my thermal switch for the cold advance has been dead since I bought the truck. I unplugged it thinking it may have come back to life but its still dead.

the plunger just sets the fast idle.
the timing advance solenoid is internal and is electrical.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm not getting 12 volts to the pump for that circuit though. The switch thats in the the passenger side head doesn't function.

The plunger I was messing with is the advance on the bottom drivers side of the pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the pump is twisted way over towards the passenger side fender it sounds like the gear timing is a tooth off. How did you remove the old injection pump. Did you remove the gear housing and pump as one piece...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin