sudden excessive rattle

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Nope I did it the right way and unbolted the pump from the gear housing.

I didnt leave the pump all the way advanced though it was clearly way farther advanced than what my timing setup was reading.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wonder if the advance plunger was stuck all along, and finally freed up. Try setting timing by meter now, I bet the pump gets to a more normal position.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Did ya set the timing at 2000 RPM to 8.5*?

I tried but the most advanced I could get the pump was 4 degrees and that was with the pump all the way to the passenger side. When it was there the sound of the engine was way farther advanced and it was very noisy. I could tell it was more than 4 degrees and something with my timing light was out of wack. I ended up setting it by ear where it would run decent.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
My two cents worth; I'd run it to IDI weekend lol At least you'll have one helleva technical support group ... Could do what I did at one point and just zip tie the advance lever down just to keep her quiet until more diagnosis can be made too.

My experience: I took my '85 into the shop to have it timed after I did the IP in Iowa and drove it home, [IP died on I-80] :( .. and when I got it back it would hardly start, and ran like crap, and rattled like there was 8 midgets rapping on my cylinder heads, and was assured it was normal. I drove it that way for a month before I couldn't take anymore, and knocked the bolts loose and turned it back to where I had it, and even then it was still quite a rattler. Was that way for another 6 months until the C6 smoked in her.

(BTW I laughed at the shifting by manually kicking it into second gear.. I did the same on my '85 ... until it started taking off in second gear even though the shifter was in D... then it got so bad it started out in third then downshifted to second then to first... so I then drove it like an auto stick till she died ... I digress)

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw out there that my truck has made this rattle both before and after i timed it.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
My two cents worth; I'd run it to IDI weekend lol At least you'll have one helleva technical support group ... Could do what I did at one point and just zip tie the advance lever down just to keep her quiet until more diagnosis can be made too.

My experience: I took my '85 into the shop to have it timed after I did the IP in Iowa and drove it home, [IP died on I-80] :( .. and when I got it back it would hardly start, and ran like crap, and rattled like there was 8 midgets rapping on my cylinder heads, and was assured it was normal. I drove it that way for a month before I couldn't take anymore, and knocked the bolts loose and turned it back to where I had it, and even then it was still quite a rattler. Was that way for another 6 months until the C6 smoked in her.

(BTW I laughed at the shifting by manually kicking it into second gear.. I did the same on my '85 ... until it started taking off in second gear even though the shifter was in D... then it got so bad it started out in third then downshifted to second then to first... so I then drove it like an auto stick till she died ... I digress)

Yeah I plan on making the rally I'm just worried it might die on me and leave me stranded between here and there. At least help wouldn't be too far away.

lol I figured someone would catch the manual shifting of the trans. Its been like that for quite awhile. Ive messed with the VRV trying to fix it but haven't got far. I need to get a vacuum gauge and set the thing the right way. Ive got to the point of where its pretty much second nature to shift it into 2nd. The only time it doesn't seem to do it is when you just barely get into the throttle.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Yeah I plan on making the rally I'm just worried it might die on me and leave me stranded between here and there. At least help wouldn't be too far away.

lol I figured someone would catch the manual shifting of the trans. Its been like that for quite awhile. Ive messed with the VRV trying to fix it but haven't got far. I need to get a vacuum gauge and set the thing the right way. Ive got to the point of where its pretty much second nature to shift it into 2nd. The only time it doesn't seem to do it is when you just barely get into the throttle.

I fixed it by adjusting the vrv then adjusting the actual modulator. The vrv set the shift points, the modulator sets the firmness. I want to say I loosened the adjusting screw inside the vacuum hose a turn or two loose... but maybe it was tightened. You'll know right away if you went the wrong way. If you break down, ill personally come get you. Lol especially since I'm encouraging it. But knowing these old idis they'll just keep on chugging away...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried but the most advanced I could get the pump was 4 degrees and that was with the pump all the way to the passenger side. When it was there the sound of the engine was way farther advanced and it was very noisy. I could tell it was more than 4 degrees and something with my timing light was out of wack. I ended up setting it by ear where it would run decent.

then either you,or someone before you incorrectly replaced an ip.
iv read this before and know it happens.
i bet if you check your timing gears,you'll find your issue.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

rule #1 with old (especially with multiple previous owners) idi trucks: never assume anythings been properly cared for.:D

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
FINALLY someone else is experiencing the same thing as me. I have yet to trace what causes it, last time it did it was this spring. I was driving it then stopped to help a farmer with a stuck tractor. I just let my truck idle while i helped him. About 10 minutes later i got back to my truck and went to take off and it was making the noise. I drove about a 1/4 mile down the road and then stopped and shut it off for ten seconds, fired it back up and its never made the noise since. Its so sporadic i cant begin to think of what to blame. One time i was driving with a needles width above empty and it started doing it so i filled up and it went away. Another time it did it at 3/4 of a tank but then after i let it sit over night it didn't do it again for that entire tank.

Everything is about how you described it. Incredibly loud rattle, but no difference in power or smoke levels or anything. Whenever I'm accelerating it will get louder and louder then the transmission shifts and it goes away for a little bit till the engine revs back up and then it comes back. The only thing i can think of is its something with my pump but even thats a WAG. My pump has about 30k miles on it and for about the last 10 its done this occasional rattle.

My friend's IDI has had the exact same rattle. A rebuilt pensacola pump and injectors were installed in 2010, and engine was timed by ear. The rattle has only occurred twice, in late 2011 and early 2012. Both times it sounded like someone was pouring a bucket of old bottle caps onto a tin roof. Both times there was no load on the engine, no noticeable loss of power, no smoke, and it lasted for 2-3 seconds.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Truck ran fine before I changed the pump but the old pump was leaking pretty good. Truck also ran fine after I changed the pump it just started this rattling a week ago.

The timing gear was never moved when I changed the pump. I did change the gear cover but again I didnt move the gear. Been on here too many years and know better.

I blame my timing light for the reason I couldn't get the timing set right. Like I said before with the pump all the way over my timing light was only showing 4 degrees. But the engine was rattling like crazy and didn't run very good. So to me it was way more than 4 degrees advanced. Probably more like 14 degrees:dunno

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Did you time on injector 1? Maybe the injector is bad and giving you a wonky reading, try injector 4. If it's different, you may have a bad/slightly bad injector.