Straight piping my truck??

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I think even a straight pipe will work good. Us guys with stacks obviously are gonna be less comfortable to drive since the exhaust exits right by our ears. If the pipe comes out the back it shouldn't seem as loud to the driver. Ih powers 6.9 is striaght piped comin out underneath bed and it ain't too awful loud to ride in

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have ran so many different exhaust setups it is hard to count now

first I went in and cut the factory exhaust just before the muffler, SOUNDED LIKE HELL

then I welded a 3 in blown glass pack in place of the old muffler, sounded just like a glass packed 460

then I put a 30 in long 4 in tip exiting at a 45 on the rear bumper. sounded a little more like a diesel

cut the glass pack out and welded a straight piece of 3in exhaust pipe in place of it. got really nasty and raspy

cut the factory exhaust just after the crossmember and ranfactory y to 4 inch starting at the middle of the tranny to a 5 in exiting just in front of the passenger rear tire. sounded a little more like a diesel but it was LOUD

then I went to my current setup which is factory y to a 3-4 adaptor and 4 inch from the tranny back, over the axle and exiting through an 8 in tip 18 in long It is still loud but reasonable as long as you arent hot rodding or pulling heavy loads. I can roll my windows up and carry on a conversation in the cab as long as the radio isnt on(it is loud to).

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
On my new exhaust set up i had 2 1/2" ran true dual style from the manifolds back with some small case 2 1/2" I/O Magnapack mufflers. Its not bad driving normal, but over 2 grand it starts to bark and gets LOUD. On hard accel it just gets loud. the tone isnt bad, not quite the true dual glasspack sound, but more like a 460 with race bullets. Draggin the pipes it sounds pretty mean coming to a stop. Over 2200 rpm it has a cackle-ish sound but thats the inherant sound with a true dual system. I should take some videos of it to let ya listen.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is cut right where the headers (i think theyre called) join and go back. I like it loud

when passing parked cars or cement block median things its reaaaally loud. Like you cant carry on a convo with a passenger or hear the radio loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726