Straight piping my truck??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well the other day i made a clold air intake for my truck "will post pics" And i noticed a bit of a power bump, but still stock exhaust.. Im thinking about cutting the muffler out and putting in a straight peice of pipe or maybe a small chambered muffler incase it will be to load. But anyway does any of you guys know how it will sound straight pipe and will it be ear shattering in the cab.. I'm just looking for a few more ponies and beter sound untll i get the cash together to put my turbo on one day.. Wish i still had that set of stans heders i sold!!

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think beauty is in the ear of the beholder. I've got an Aero muffler on a 7.3 idi box truck and it sounds excellent. Granted, the pipe is on the passenger side about 16 feet behind me. On the other hand, I've got an Aero muffler on a 6.9 idi with a 5 inch stack sticking up right behind the cab. I never thought I would say this but it's a bit over the top. Especially in the early morning from your neighbors perspective. If I were you, I would err on the conservative side. Power is nice but when your neighbors hate you...

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont want it bothering me loud, but i like sound and some noise.. Dont much care about the neibors i make aloot of noise already, my motto is i was here first since they are all move in's..

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have a 3" down pipe on mine. It doesn't bother me at all :D. It's only temporary though, just haven't taken it to an exhaust shop yet.

medic265

Reaction score
I've got straight pipe into a 6" stack in the bed. At idle it's hardly noticeable. Driving at about 55mph it sounds good outside but ain't too bad into the cab. Under hard acceleration it's very loud to the point you couldn't carry on a conversation...

But I like it that loud and it suits my zombie apocalypse theme!!!!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I straight piped my non-turbo'd '86 F250 and it lasted a whole trip down the street two blocks. I eliminated the muffler and left the tailpipe exit in the stock location. My friend who owns the muffler shop said he could hear me throughout the whole loop run. in short, a naturally aspirated IH idi is one loud SOB. But hey, if you like being target practice for the neighbors and noise tickets from DOT....knock yourself out.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the same thing, stock exhaust, just removed the muffler and welded in a piece of pipe.. at idle it sounds like a diesel, when running down the road and shifting it sounds like a 460.. the only time it is loud to me is if i down shift with the rpms up a little... it gets poppy sounding like a jake brake..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a turbo it will be very loud! A turbo acts like a muffler and it really isn't annoying at all, but straight pipes on an N/A can be "wake the dead" loud during acceleration.

Heath

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
in my opinion any ford/IH diesel that came BEFORE the 6.0L sounds like white trash when straight piped. that goes for 6.9 and 7.3 idi/psd. turbo or not.

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I straight piped my 85 6.9 n/a into 4 inch stacks at the cab corners. All I gotta say is its freakin loud! I can't carry a conversation in a normal voice in the cab or hear my cb or radio. But what the heck it sounds damn good.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran headers on mine and then through a oil jacket heat exchanger I made for my WMO system. Basically it was a straight 4" pipe. It was mind bending loud and now I'm waiting for a muffler to arrive. In a nut shell I was miles outside of decibel limits and I just thought it wasn't worth the ticket. Might as well keep it to a roar and not **** off the neighbors.

cheers
B

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Back in H.S. I helped a buddy straight pipe his 89 7.3, it was N/A. Was it loud? Not really. He didnt really hotrod it around though, so I never heard what it sounded like at WOT. Just sounded like a big block gasser. I thought it actually sounded good. I actually remember being disappointed in how quiet it was after reading everyone saying it would be loud. Thats just my experience though.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if i stick a small muffler like a 1 chamber cherrybomb or thrush welded on the back of the y-pipe and have my local shop bend me a new 3" tailpipe to replace my 2.5".. Should flow alott better and sound good, without being "oh god i hate the truck load"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online