Steering gear suggestions

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My steering gear Has started leaking all over the place, so it's time for a replacement.

I don't think I want to spend 300 bucks on a redhead steering gear. Seems a little rich for me.

Which parts store rebuilds have you used and had good luck with?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
steering is a pretty big part of the quasion.
300 on a new box, seems par for me.

oldblue83

Reaction score
Have you priced one at Ford? I bought one for my '02 a few years ago and they were surprisingly on par.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one from Autozone and it's been working fine for several years now. My bottom seal blew out on my old one.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U-haul has some for a good price. Would you be scared of dry seals on an old rebuild?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Rockauto, or Amazon. They will have the best price for ya. If you go to rockauto let me know I have a 5% discount that I haven't used for them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RED HEAD worth the $$$$$
I tend to agree...I haven't had any firsthand experience with a Redhead box, but I have a CarQuest special on my truck at the moment, and even though it was a fresh rebuild, it's unpleasantly loose, and from what I've heard on here, that's not an uncommon experience. From what I gather, while any parts store rebuilds shouldn't leak, the quality of the rebuild is really hit-and-miss.

JMHO...tthe real question is, what are you willing to live with?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for what you get the Red Head is priced really well. Also this is something that should only have to be done once in theory so why not do it right the first time. My 2 cents.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting an advance auto rebuild. Priced at 144, but used a 50 dollar off coupon, so I am out the door about 100.

I know redheads are nice, but with Christmas coming up and 3 young daughters, I had to do it this route. I will update on how well it is rebuilt once it is installed.

On that note, I have never swapped a steering gear before. Any tips? Looks pretty straight forward, but I know I could learn something from someone who has experience!

Thanks for all the responses.

Chris

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Nothing to it. Pull the pitman arm and rag joint then it's 3 bolts to the frame. Paint the box so it doesn't rust. Easy swap, but it is helpful to have a second pair of hands to either hold the box in place or get the bolts started... Box is heavy.

If your rag joint is sloppy or in general waht I'd do while the box is off is replace the steering shaft. When my rag joint went I couldn't find a bolt on replacement, off the shelf stuff from stores would need some modification to work so I ende dup getting a Borgeson shaft. Much nicer, very smooth, tight, and precise. Simple install but need to cut the shaft to length as it's collapsible (for accidents so wheel doesn't speak you). I just cut it to keep the shaft around middle of travel when installed. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-000980/overview/year/1986/make/ford/model/f-350

Also note that if your box worked well but just leaked out the sector shaft seal, you can get a seal kit that is quick and easy to install. Just pull pitman arm, remove snap ring, remove seals and washer, clean, replace. $9 kit, used to be $5 but inflation sucks. Still much cheaper than a box. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...20/3865169-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15011

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While on steering, I know why the collapsible shaft is there, but what's the purpose of the rag joint? Just dampening vibrations or?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Cost, rag joints are much cheaper than ujoints. You can get the Borgeson steering joints either solid like what I have or with bonded rubber damping if that's important to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger