Steering gear seal.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last summer, I just ended up replacing my RV's steering gear when it's seals went (very badly, leaking out totally daily), but I was on the road and couldn't risk not having it fixed within a day. AutoZone had it within a day or so and I changed it in their parking lot. I kept the old one though, since it has low miles (under 90k) and wasn't sloppy. It's the same one as in the trucks. Maybe I'll redo the seals in it someday, or sell it to someone who wants an original factory gearbox that just needs seals. I got lucky too, the AutoZone one is tight like the one it replaced.
It would seem over the top having an extra steering gear in the motorhome but Lucy might sleep better knowing that you're prepared for the unexpected.
But since you're here, there's a super beetle that's showed up on my FedEx route a while back. The people moved it out by the road and there it sits. I left my phone number with the wife when it first showed up a couple months ago but never heard from anyone. If I get another stop there I'm going to ask again. I looked it over, the body is solid. The rear fenders are removed but they're in the car. No engine, but the transaxle is there. The cool thing is it's a super beetle with the bigger windshield and struts. I think about you out there adventuring when I see it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was the method you used to get it out also did you keep the box in or out of the truck?
I actually used the very unorthodox method of breaking the top seal with a punch. It's some sort of really hard steel so it'll break and then I worked those two pieces out with a pair of bent needle nose pliers. Then pick and pliers to get the regular seal out. Cleaned the cavity out with parts cleaner and compressed air, greased the new seals and gently tapped them back into place. Pretty straight forward. I was hoping to more gently get them out, @WrenchWhore is on something if you want to leave it in and use the hydrolic pressure to push the seals out. I already had mine out.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Never have had any issue with that? I know they are difficult to drill, but never had any problem with a punch.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It would seem over the top having an extra steering gear in the motorhome but Lucy might sleep better knowing that you're prepared for the unexpected.
But since you're here, there's a super beetle that's showed up on my FedEx route a while back. The people moved it out by the road and there it sits. I left my phone number with the wife when it first showed up a couple months ago but never heard from anyone. If I get another stop there I'm going to ask again. I looked it over, the body is solid. The rear fenders are removed but they're in the car. No engine, but the transaxle is there. The cool thing is it's a super beetle with the bigger windshield and struts. I think about you out there adventuring when I see it.

It's in the cargo trailer, actually. The trailer is gonna live in AZ in storage in summer so I won't have it with me, since I have the bug. Pretty sure the gearbox from AutoZone has a lifetime warranty, so I'd just warranty it, if it were to go bad on me.

Super Beetles are better for daily drivers, comfort wise, due to the front struts. Less good for off road use due to less mods. I considered a Super Beetle but wasn't sure about it for off road use. It has strut towers that are a weak point for off road use. You can get a stabilizer bar though.

Check the heater channels from the bottom side. The area that runs along under the doors from the front of the car to the rear. They tend to rust out. You can find videos on youtube about the subject. It's a major structural part of the car.

Raymedrano78

Reaction score
So I hopped in my truck this afternoon excited to go home and start my weekend, Tues-thurs are my off days, after my truck was sufficiently warm and ready to go I went to drive off and BAM no power steering. I "man-steered" it to the house, long story short, the seal is gone and it won't hold fluid. The steering gear is tight, strong, good, etc, but after having come back to life after a few years of inactivity the seal gave up the ghost. So how bad is it to just replace the seal? I would rather keep my good gear and not put on a O'Reilly's reman, but if y'all say it's not worth it I'll just replace the whole shebang. Thanks for your input!
Dear frank,
I know I might be a little late but you should try the Blue Devil pour-n-go power steering stop leak. I had a bad leak on mime it wasn't holding no fluid I try Lucas to no avail. So I went and bought this yes, it is a little expensive but I'll tell you what it's worth every penny if it saves you the hassle of having to replace a gear box.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear frank,
I know I might be a little late but you should try the Blue Devil pour-n-go power steering stop leak. I had a bad leak on mime it wasn't holding no fluid I try Lucas to no avail. So I went and bought this yes, it is a little expensive but I'll tell you what it's worth every penny if it saves you the hassle of having to replace a gear box.
I'd be about that if I was in a pinch, like traveling and I couldn't pull the gear off. But for $15 I replaced the bad seals and it's done. My problem with a stop leak product as a permanent fix is that it affects all the seals in the system and eventually it'll have you doing the whole shebang instead of the $15 seals. In a pinch though, blue devil is THE stuff!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Dear frank,

NO. That's what blew out the seals on mine, after sealing it for a day. The company wouldn't even respond to my complaint/request for the money back guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance