Steering gear seal.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hopped in my truck this afternoon excited to go home and start my weekend, Tues-thurs are my off days, after my truck was sufficiently warm and ready to go I went to drive off and BAM no power steering. I "man-steered" it to the house, long story short, the seal is gone and it won't hold fluid. The steering gear is tight, strong, good, etc, but after having come back to life after a few years of inactivity the seal gave up the ghost. So how bad is it to just replace the seal? I would rather keep my good gear and not put on a O'Reilly's reman, but if y'all say it's not worth it I'll just replace the whole shebang. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well, which seal is bad? The steering shaft seal or the pitman arm seal? I'd imagine either one isn't that hard to do... It's just a basic reciprocal ball gear drive.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, which seal is bad? The steering shaft seal or the pitman arm seal? I'd imagine either one isn't that hard to do... It's just a basic reciprocal ball gear drive.
I guess you'd call it the pitman arm seal. The one on the bottom.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love redhead steering gears and would run one of those if you go for a box. If you have to take it out I know I looked into it once and a box seal kit is the way to go in my opinion.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love redhead steering gears and would run one of those if you go for a box. If you have to take it out I know I looked into it once and a box seal kit is the way to go in my opinion.
I'm usually too broke for upgrades. I'm for just keeping it alive and in good health.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Complete seal kits from various brands:

or just the pitman side seal:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the steering gear off and cleaned up. Today has been crazy, I'll spare you the details. The seal was definitely zapped. I got everything pressure washed and I got my seal kit this afternoon as well as a new pressure line, just because. You know with regular maintenance these old trucks are just as dependable as a brand new vehicle.......I spent $50-60 on it today at O'Reilly's, WHAT A CAR PAYMENT!

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_144411.jpg
    IMG_20221108_144411.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 9

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just did my pitman arm seal/sector shaft. It was a huge mess because I left the box in the truck. Pulled the pitman arm off. I pulled the snap ring out and started the truck and used it's own hydraulic pressure to blow out the seal/spacer. It dumped fluid everywhere BUT everything came out. After a roll of paper towels cleaning up the mess I brake cleaned the area and tapped the seal in but not all the way. I installed the snap ring partially and taped everything up together until the snap ring clicked in place. Reinstalled the pitman to spec and surprisingly the box doesn't leak a drop. Good luck @Jesus Freak

I bet if you're really careful you could hang a bucket below the sector shaft and catch most the fluid/seal/spacer. I tried but it still got everywhere. No biggie I wanted to get some mostly new fluid in the steering system anyways.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just did my pitman arm seal/sector shaft. It was a huge mess because I left the box in the truck. Pulled the pitman arm off. I pulled the snap ring out and started the truck and used it's own hydraulic pressure to blow out the seal/spacer. It dumped fluid everywhere BUT everything came out. After a roll of paper towels cleaning up the mess I brake cleaned the area and tapped the seal in but not all the way. I installed the snap ring partially and taped everything up together until the snap ring clicked in place. Reinstalled the pitman to spec and surprisingly the box doesn't leak a drop. Good luck @Jesus Freak

I bet if you're really careful you could hang a bucket below the sector shaft and catch most the fluid/seal/spacer. I tried but it still got everywhere. No biggie I wanted to get some mostly new fluid in the steering system anyways.
I already got the seal out and it's seat cleaned up. I got the snap ring out easy a beat the mess out of the washer seal thing until it broke in half The the actual seal came out with a pick and an awl and a little manipulating. Your idea is good though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, it's done. I over filled it so it looks like it leaks but it should be legit. If there's any problem I'll report back. Not much input, but thanks for the input that was received!

And he drove his WMO powered IDI tow truck happily ever after.........the middle.......
(It'll say "the end" if I sell it or I die or something). But at least there's closure!!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Last summer, I just ended up replacing my RV's steering gear when it's seals went (very badly, leaking out totally daily), but I was on the road and couldn't risk not having it fixed within a day. AutoZone had it within a day or so and I changed it in their parking lot. I kept the old one though, since it has low miles (under 90k) and wasn't sloppy. It's the same one as in the trucks. Maybe I'll redo the seals in it someday, or sell it to someone who wants an original factory gearbox that just needs seals. I got lucky too, the AutoZone one is tight like the one it replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.