Steering Columns for 87-91 trucks?

Tk83

Reaction score
I have looked at several 87-91 F-250s and 350s, and the steering column was very broken in one way or another (shift indicator not working, tilt either won't move or just flops back and forth with no resistance, bearings failed to the point it catches when trying to turn, etc). What would be involved in repairing or replacing a steering column with a functional one to get it working properly again? It looks like most of the parts are NLA from Ford, and there are used ones on ebay for $450 and rebuilt ones for sale from various places for $800+. I saw a truck I am interested in buying but I would not want it if the steering column can't be easily repaired.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the "repair guides" / Autozone.com.
At least you'll be able to see the parts involved with repair.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering columns are a pain to work on. I would keep looking. Try to find a 2wd truck. They are lower to the ground and people are not as apt to use the steering wheel to hoist themselves into the truck. If you found one that was good except for the indicator, I would get it. The indicator is easily swapped out of another cluster/steering column. It's nothing but a string in a plastic piece of tubing.

Tk83

Reaction score
Unfortunately I need one with 4wd to be useful enough to be worth having, I have looked for a year and not had much luck finding a good one though. I don't really have $20k to buy a nice one (or even really want one bad enough to pay that if I had it), so most of the ones I am looking at are pretty rough. The most recent one had under 200k miles and was still not too expensive but the steering column is so bad it's hard to drive.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering columns are a pain to work on. I would keep looking. Try to find a 2wd truck. They are lower to the ground and people are not as apt to use the steering wheel to hoist themselves into the truck. If you found one that was good except for the indicator, I would get it. The indicator is easily swapped out of another cluster/steering column. It's nothing but a string in a plastic piece of tubing.
I don't believe he was referring to you buying a 2wd truck, but rather buying a steering column out of a 2wd truck to swap into whatever truck you buy. The 2wd truck columns in theory see less stress and strain.

I would buy the best truck that meets your needs and then fix the problems on that truck, to find one of these truck that doesn't need some love will cost you dearly as some of the current prices show.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
A 2wd column is the same as a 4wd column. Your biggest hangup is finding one that's an auto vs a manual.

I totally get your conundrum though, I have two spare columns, just in case, cause I've been in that pickle before.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't believe he was referring to you buying a 2wd truck, but rather buying a steering column out of a 2wd truck to swap into whatever truck you buy. The 2wd truck columns in theory see less stress and strain.

Tell that to my 2WD F250. It has tons of slop. I had the instinct to pull myself in with it too until I learned that's what tears it up, so I had to train myself not to do it. But it was already bad when I got it.

I wonder if Econoline ones would fit. My RV's is still very firm because often the RV entry door is used. Plus it has running boards so getting in is easier if you do use the cab door. Might be easier to find a column from a van or RV that isn't worn out, if they will fit.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had mine rebuilt by Orange county steering column