Steering boxes

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to pick up a new steering box tomorrow.. Mine has a ridiculous amount of play. I tried tightening it up, no change.
Which box would you guys recommend ? Napa, Autozone, etc? I can't afford a RedHead box...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys ! I'm hesitant going the junk yard route .. Mine, when attached , had a ton of play before the pitman arm started to turn. With it off, the play is way less noticeable. It's only with resistance, being tied in to the steering that the play was evident. Most of the trucks at my local yard are stripped of their steering column and are off the ground so they have little resistance. I did make sure the play was in the box... It's not the rag joint.

I think I read somewhere that 80-96 Vans and rangers are the same box.. is that correct? If so I would imagine I should look for a ranger box because it would like have less wear..

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a junkyard that had lots of f250 and up trucks. I checked them out while in the yard, fifth one had little play, and its now in my truck for several years, still the same play as in the yard.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an autozone "lifetime warranty" in mine. I went this route 'cause I turn my own wrenches & I've done several of these, so it's a pretty easy job for me, also; the junkyard units I looked at all had excessive play. If you buy a reman I would go to every Autozone (or O'reillys, car quest, NAPA, whatever) in your area and ask them to bring out every unit they have, bring a pair of big channel locks & a piece of rubber/leather to turn the input shaft with. Some of them have excessive play right out of the box, the one you want will have no perceivable play, as soon as you turn the input the output starts to turn. If the seals were installed right, it has a good chance of working out for you provided you are using stock tires, chassis height, and mostly highway use. If you have big tires, are lifted, do a lot of off-roading you NEED A RED HEAD.

Also check your drag-link, they are a weak spot on our trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes ranger bronco f 150 2 3fiddy all same cqnt speak for van...iirc backwards is van box...and wont work

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You might check the sliding link between the rag joint and the extension from the firewall connection. Inside that square oval piece is some flat spring material and a plastic holder. If that flat spring breaks you have plenty of sloppy steering. This are I'm describing it where the box will slide up into the colum in a major front end collision. Some of the nuts and bolts are metric and some are not so take some wrenches to cover this. Can't recall if its 13 or 14 mm. Caution on the upper connection. Please mark it so it goes back together correctly. That slip fit with the bolt will only slide on the shaft from the steering wheel one way. One rounded side is larger than the other side. Found this out the hard way once. Even ground the connection to make it fit. Nope.. Finally figured it out. Pic n pull is the best place for these parts. You can learn how things come apart there for 2 bucks. then the parts fit easily into a pocket. Just try to pay for them and I bet they send you on your happy way. I'm sure they do not have an idea what this costs or a name for it either.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary- surprisingly everything from the end of the shaft to the steering wheel is very tight.

I didn't have much luck at the salvage yard so I grabbed one from Napa. Unlike Autozone and Oriellys their lifetime warranty doesn't turn in to a 90 day warranty after you replace the part once. I also picked up all new tie rods. They were pretty cheap, around $115 for everything, and they are greasable so that gives me a little hope they might last awhile. We will see.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Let me know how your Napa Box holds up my Sub needs one(2000K) on original box windy days are interesting to say the least LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a napa box in my 4x4, 5 yrs now, no issue,, and 80 to 97, Fseries, ranger and Vans ,all the same.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary- surprisingly everything from the end of the shaft to the steering wheel is very tight.

I didn't have much luck at the salvage yard so I grabbed one from Napa. Unlike Autozone and Oriellys their lifetime warranty doesn't turn in to a 90 day warranty after you replace the part once. I also picked up all new tie rods. They were pretty cheap, around $115 for everything, and they are greasable so that gives me a little hope they might last awhile. We will see.

I have never had an issue with warranting multiple times the same part from both autozone and oreilleys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726