Steering boxes

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc backwards is van box...and wont work
I've posted this a couple of times before in response to this claim, but I'll say it again...I've been running a remanufactured steering gearbox that was sold for a 1984 E-350 van in my truck for almost 11 years now. The previous owner of my old van bought the gearbox to replace the gearbox in the van and never got around to installing it before selling the van to me. He gave me the gearbox, still in the parts store packaging, when he sold me the van, and I decided the original gearbox was in good enough shape to not warrant replacing it. I kept the gearbox when I sold the van in 2002, and in 2005, I swapped that gearbox into my '84 F-250 4x4 pickup. It was exactly the same part number, fit exactly the same, and certainly does not go backwards. I do question the quality of the rebuild; there's still way too much looseness in the gearbox, but it does fit and function the same way a truck gearbox will

I did a bit of research to back up my experience in case you don't find that acceptable, and I will give you this much; it looks like 1980-1982 vans used a different gearbox that is not compatible ('82 appears to be a changeover year; both the early and late gearboxes are said to fit '82 vans)...however, '83-'96 vans DO use the same gearbox as the '80-'96 pickups do, per cross-referencing on AutoZone, Napa, and RockAuto.

Screen-shot of RockAuto's cross-reference guide for the Motorcraft remanufacturered gearbox:
You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the "backwards" boxes would have come from a large PASSENGER CAR..... some of the big Ford, Merc and Lincolns used a similar box, but the steering linkages were "behind" the box rather than in front like the trucks..... so the pitman arm would move "backwards" compared to the truck boxes.......

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
straight line steering in SJ.
http://www.straightlinesteering.com/
or junkyard.
i've had very little trouble with pre '98 trucks. all the '99 and up f450's and F550's have killed their boxes by 250k/mi. I'm suspecting the 19.5 rims are a little much for them.
Thanks for the Link Cal
gave them a call for a quote for a Chevy box
$275
Thats where I'll be ordering my steering heard from now on.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment for an alignment today. Still haven't done it after going through the rest of the front end. I tossed everything on yesterday. The steering feels a lot tighter. The Napa TRE's are OK but definitely aren't as well made as the Moog's that came off.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well either it is karma or luck or...but suddenly blue ox is haveing steering issues...crap.

Brakes good so pump is good....seems to be tight on centre when turning a corner and allow box to self centre...hmmm

Could be a tight KP so grease today...and check...

If not dissassemble a box....have plenty used in stock...port for hydro and ship off to Red Head for a rebuild....or try my hands at rebuild....dunno yet.

Just saying this sucks big time :rotflmao