Starter questions

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would appear that my starter is on the way out, dead spot in the solenoid or something. I turn the key, it goes click...try it a couple of times and it works. It's a PITA -cuss

Are the stock motorcraft starters direct drive or gear reduced? And are the Mitzy starters the same as the motorcraft starters? I've also noticed there are 12 and 13 tooth replacements. What's the correct replacement for a 5 speed?

Thx

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old Nippondenso starter had the same problem. I swapped it for the Mitzu unit that was on the crew cab for now. IIRC, the stock starter is a Mitzu unit that is not a gear reduction starter..... at least for the older IDI's. I just bought a starter (Nippondenso gear reduction) from DB Electrical. $122.80 shipped. I will put it on the crew cab.

Heath

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The Delco unit is direct drive. Mitsu is a reduction drive.

I sent my wheel chock/ Delco starter to the grave yard not to long ago.

Found a lighter wheel chock.:rotflmao

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
make sure the fender mounted soliniod is grounded out good. i had a truck that the solinoid wasnt tight and it did the same thing.

Conky

Reaction score
its the copper disk inside the pull solinoid on the starter
its dirty, pitted and wore out (cause all he starter current goes through it)
time for a new starter I think

I dont know about the difference 5 speed or auto trans thing though
are they both the same starters?

I have the mitsubushi starter, it is a gear reduction and works well for me
and its very cold up here and it still cranks well with rotella 10-30 in crankcase, but i plug i in almost every night
if i dont plug in its spray and pray time

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All IDI starters are the same, the powerstroke uses a different tooth count. You may just need a solenoid. I usually rebuild them but then I worked in an auto electric shop also.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who, but someone told me there was an updated faster reving starter avalible. Maybe the one for a powerstroke? Not sure if that one would work or not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts about using a power stroke starter is they are not designed for turning our high compression engines. I have the mistubishi gear reduction starter and it turns the engine so fast you can't count the rpms. The faster these diesel engines turn the more heat builds up from the compression of the air being drawn into the cylinders. The compressed air must reach approx 940 degrees to ignite the diesel. A slow turning engine can't build heat for ignition... Thats a science fact... Not an oppinion.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can't remember who, but someone told me there was an updated faster reving starter avalible. Maybe the one for a powerstroke? Not sure if that one would work or not.

Powerstrokes have a different tooth count. Ours should have teh 13 tooth if memory serves me. You can't use a powerchoke starter in one of our engines, it will jam up.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I could prolly rebuild it, but I'm just not feeling it. O'Reilly's has a mitzy starter for $140 limited lifetime....so I'll prolly just go that route. I'll count the teeth when I get the starter out. O'Reilly's site has it listed as 12. I have a strict no china policy on my cars. No way am I going to be in Iowa, KS, or BFE Ok and have a china part break. Just isn't going to happen.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok wait a minute ive been using a powerstroke starter for about six months already no issues on my end

I really doubt it, the teeth dont even come close to meshing. Looks the same but thats all

those chinese starters are very reliable. sold hundreds of them in the electric shop.

That oreillys starter could very well be a chinese rebox.