stainless steel welch plugs and freeze plugs

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
My machiniist says he cant find the stainless steel plugs anywhere.
He keeps saying he'll put steel ones in but I say no, find the stainless steel ones. I visited the local ford dealer he couldnt find what I needed either.

Anybody know about these plugs, where to get? :confused:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I don't know why you'd want them. The stamped steel ones do what they were designed to do. Keep you coolant system maintained, and they'll last longer than you'll need them to.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
The welch plugs are magnetic, there the ones that are about 1 and 1/2" diameter. They reside on both sides of the block. The block heater is in line with the welch plugs on the passenger side. I remember The machinest saying that they are all stainless and that if he replaced them with steel ones I would have to add rust inhibiter in my coolant.

He already took all the old plugs out so I have to replace them. I just want to replace them with the same type plugs.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Magnetic stainless steel? Didn't know there was such a thing.

I'm with two-fiddy, as long as you maintain the system steel is fine. The only time I've seen the steel plugs fail is in a severly neglected system.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
The welch plugs are magnetic, dont know if there stainless, but I do know that the freeze plugs are stainless. Any how

"where to find the same exact parts"????? ;Sweet

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hey good luck finding then, welcome to the forum, i would suggest perhaps National Parts Depot, or LMC Truck. both have websites if you google it. Must say this kinda sounds like snake oil. But to each their own. these trucks certainly wont have any problems if you get a little rust in the coolant. Just make sure you got the proper SCA addititives in there and these will run forever. my .02

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having had the misfortune of not winterizing my boat properly last fall, I have the pleasure of putting two back in my Ford 5.0L. I used the rubber expandable ones until such time that I can torture myself trying to put them in without pulling the motor. The ones that came out are brass or bronze or something, judging by the color. What do our IDI's come with? Steel I would think?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The magnetic stainless is called 400 series and the 300 series stainless is non magnetic.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
The magnetic stainless is called 400 series and the 300 series stainless is non magnetic.

icanfixall : where can I get these magnetic stainless ones? My local Ford dealer has no clue. Niether does my machinist.