stacks on an 7.3 idi w/ats

hitechredneck

Hillbilly Deluxe
Reaction score
I am looking at an 89 with about 120k on it. The truck is a clean 250 4x4 5 speed. I am really considering it. But how does stacks sound on an idi. anny different than a powerstroke. I have a set of 5 and 6 inch miters cuts of my cabover as well as a set of 6 inch bullhaulers. just wondering.

p.s. any one have any upgraded pump or injectors for sale. i may be looking

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well im not sure what the IDI would sound like with stacks but i know it was LOUD as hell when mine had 3"straight pipes on it :D .i eventually had to put a muffler on it cuz it was so loud.i know the GM 6.2 is pretty loud with #" stacks.and surprisingly my PSD isnt that loud with 5" mitre cut stacks with no muffler.

hitechredneck

Hillbilly Deluxe
Reaction score
I am looking at putting some 5s on this one but i had a friend tell to me to puts 4s on it and i will get a bit of crackle as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think 4's look a heck of a lot better, and leave you with a little volocity to throw the smoke farther. Once the pipes get too big, it just sort of wafts out, and you look more like the Queen Mary.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember the smaller the pipe the louder and more crackle you get.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I don't think the truck is any louder with stacks then it was with it straight out the back its just closer to the cab is all as for the size thats personal preference I like 5" myself but I think it matters more how high they stick above the cab as to how well they fit the truck and yes the bigger pipes are deeper and better sounding