So whats the advantage again...?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, a while back i bought an amsoil dual bypass filter head deal for 200 bucks. Thought I would get myself some super filtered oil. So I install it just recently and drive 3,000 miles and decide it's about time to change the filters and have an oil analysis done. So.. filters cost 60 bucks, that's with a discount, and the analysis from blackstone cost 20-30 bucks. So 80-90 bucks for not even an oil change cookoo, then if the analysis says i need to change the oil, another 30 bucks. So potentially 120 bucks for an oil change with my new fandangled oil filter... Not to mention the initial 200 bucks, so, 320 bucks for the first oil change, lol.

Without the dual bypass, change the oil every 3000 miles for about 40 bucks.

So why do i want this filter again? Seems like it's a lose lose situation all around, and then i don't even get new oil every 3000 miles. :shoot:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Okay, a while back i bought an amsoil dual bypass filter head deal for 200 bucks. Thought I would get myself some super filtered oil. So I install it just recently and drive 3,000 miles and decide it's about time to change the filters and have an oil analysis done. So.. filters cost 60 bucks, that's with a discount, and the analysis from blackstone cost 20-30 bucks. So 80-90 bucks for not even an oil change cookoo, then if the analysis says i need to change the oil, another 30 bucks. So potentially 120 bucks for an oil change with my new fandangled oil filter... Not to mention the initial 200 bucks, so, 320 bucks for the first oil change, lol.

Without the dual bypass, change the oil every 3000 miles for about 40 bucks.

So why do i want this filter again? Seems like it's a lose lose situation all around, and then i don't even get new oil every 3000 miles. :shoot:

You don't replace the 1 micron filter every time You change the oil nor You should change the oil every 3k with the amsoil. The black stone is $18 if You say You are a tds member :rolleyes: . It just did not work for Me so far having the bypass (restricted oil pressure) but will see when I send the next oil sample.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'd agree with EZ. Your filters shouldn't cost $60, cause your only changing one and hopefully it's an FL-1995 type. You'll never know how much money you saved because the problem you might have had without the bypass filter won't materialize, at least for a lot longer.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You should only do a sample at 3k and see what it says - if it indicates that you can run longer then do - if it indicates that the oil needs changed then change it. I know that I never changed the full flow filter on the E until the oil needed changed and only changed the bypass filter when I would hit I think it was 15k miles or so (memory is a little foggy as it's been so long). I know on my current ride (according to my last few samples) that I can run 25k between oil drains (I change both filters then) and I however swap out the full flow at 12.5k - but that's on this engine - the E was less I do remember that.

While changing the filters everytime you turn around won't hurt anything engine wise but it will kill the pocket book as you are finding out. I suggest waiting until the samples tell you to change to set up your maintenance schedule - then you can back off on the samples a little and only do spot checks but that is only after you have established a pattern (3~5 complete cycles).

This is with any brand of syn oils and bypass filtering systems.

Now Mel the unit that Eric is using is the AMSOIL filter head - it actually holds both the full flow and the bypass filters (both spin on types) I don't know the motorcraft cross reference to the full flow filter but it's different on thread pitch that's for sure. It's a longer filter like the PSD filter...

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
You don't replace the 1 micron filter every time You change the oil nor You should change the oil every 3k with the amsoil. The black stone is $18 if You say You are a tds member :rolleyes: . It just did not work for Me so far having the bypass (restricted oil pressure) but will see when I send the next oil sample.

$18! for $30 I can change the oil and motorcraft FL1995 filter. So for an extra $12 dollars every 3000 miles why not just change the oil! Anyone ever heard of the K.I.S.S. method?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil does not wear out. The additive package does though. It may look black but thats because its picking up and holding the dirt that the filter can't filter out. Usually its the soot that comes from blowby. The Cummins motor run much cleaner. Just ask a Cummins driver. The oil really doesn't get black like our motors.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bypass filtration really only pays off big for the big OTR trucks, where stopping for frequent oil changes is cost and convenience prohibitive. Try telling a driver that gets paid my the mile that he has to stop for 3 hours every few weeks to get the oil changed. It isn't going to heppen.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Ah... well not changing out the bypass filter every 3000 and changing the full flow only every once in a while is a big plus then. For some reason i was thinking changing them ever 3k was needed.

I can defintly see the need for one of these systems on a big truck, they have a lot more oil so even if they did spend 200 bucks on this thing they'd probably still save money over an oil change.

But back to the situation, i guess i'll just send an oil sample in, i'm just using Rotella T at the moment, i assume this will work fine with the bypass filter and i won't absolutley need synthetic...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Usually its the soot that comes from blowby. The Cummins motor run much cleaner. Just ask a Cummins driver. The oil really doesn't get black like our motors.
I thought I was supposed to change my oil when it got so thick the dipstick got really hard to pull out....:D :D:D
Naw, I joking. But seriously, the oils & engines nowdays are different.
And it is the soot from blowby.
In '90-'91 when mine was new (turboed & set pretty hot, & I worked it really hard) my oil stayed light & brown for first 2K miles on an oil change, & did this way to nearly 100k miles, then got to where it was black early in every iol change.
Later I dropped a new/rebuilt engine in & the oil was black from the git-go. I used to fret about this, but finally just gave up. I don't like how it gets black so quick, but just accept it.
My '90Ford owners book said to use good diesel "CD" grade oil....now look at oils on the market.
My 2cents...I think the main thing is to use good quality oil & keep'er full, & change regularly.
I know this....filling up at the fuel pumps costs more than my truck is worth. & I have to wash my own windshields too!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Eric,

rotella t is good oil and I think you may find that with the additon of the bypass filter that you can run longer between drain intervals. I was under the impression that you were running syn - my mistake. I would change the full flow when you change the oil and still run the bypass longer. Your sample reports will tell you when the bypass needs changed because you will see an increase in levels telling you that the bypass is full and needs changed.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil does not wear out. The additive package does though. It may look black but thats because its picking up and holding the dirt that the filter can't filter out. Usually its the soot that comes from blowby. The Cummins motor run much cleaner. Just ask a Cummins driver. The oil really doesn't get black like our motors.

The new Cummins get dirty within 500 miles or so. Just ask one who drives a new Ram... LOL

Used to be, the oil would look new for several thousand miles... not so on today's Cummins/Dodge trucks.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Add-on bypass oil filters are like diesel fuel additives for our rigs, the only one benefiting from there use is the person selling them. Total waste of your hard earned money.

Jim

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From day one, my old 6.9 was dis-heartening to change the oil in; as soon as new oil was poured in, it looked black and watery, almost immediately.

I now have two 1st Generation Cummins; the oil in them looks fresh out of the jug at 5000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online