So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my ignition lock cylinder replaced with a good one, and put an OEM style radio in my service truck. I even got it working!

Yesterday I replaced the turn signal switch in my service truck, and drove Duchess to Emporia to go tool shopping. Got some miscellaneous stuff, and a Milwaukee M12 Fuel Surge impact. Has a hydraulic impact system. I’ve only used it on a couple things, just to see how it did. I like it.

PossumTruck

Reaction score
So my dieselrx plugs gave up the ghost after three years of abuse. I didn't plug in at all this winter and maybe was a little ******* the push-button a couple times. Been hard to start this week and yesterday it didn't start at all. Which is a problem because it was in the upper 30's and that isn't too bad usually. The usual hum that I hear from the GP relay went silent about 4 seconds in to the burn and, after that, nothing. Truck just wouldn't chooch.

I thought it might have been a bad relay, so I replaced that. Still nothing. Confirmed 12v at the GP's with a meter. Okie doke, I'll just go finally put in some Berus. Nobody has them around me. Like, NOBODY. One store had one in stock. I need 8. So I went online and ordered a set. Gonna be a week.

Can I be without my truck for a week? I prefer to lie to myself and say no while ignoring my other perfectly fine-ish vehicles. So what is a guy to do? There was only one set (8) of 6.9 IDI plugs at a single store within 25 miles, and they were the infamous autolites. So I did the right thing and bought them, installed them, and am enjoying the fact that the truck now start and runs. (Side note, none of the DRX plugs swelled)

I will, of course, be doing this job again soon when the Beru's arrive and weather permits. It was 46 degrees today. February in Michigan. I figured it was a sign. And I should hopefully have an emergency set of autolite glow plugs in the future.

Pray for me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've been trying to buy a small block C6 since Wednesday. Today, it FINALLY worked out. I got this to replace the FMX in the Red Truck. Since it was still rainy, more accurately, still drizzley, I stopped back in the same Wal-Mart that I went to Friday night to buy a tarp to cover the transmission with. Friday night wasn't too bad in there. There weren't very many people, which was a pleasant surprise. Today, though, made up for it. The "people of Wal-Mart" were back out in full force.

Attachments

• 102_4453.JPG
    102_4453.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 7

THSIM9

Reaction score
Cleaned up my block after measuring all the bores yesterday. Everything is looking good so far. Probably going to measure the bores one more time tomorrow just to be sure. Heads should be back to me this week, assuming bores are indeed good I will be ordering pistons and rings this week and getting ready to start assembly.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to buy a small block C6 since Wednesday. Today, it FINALLY worked out. I got this to replace the FMX in the Red Truck. Since it was still rainy, more accurately, still drizzley, I stopped back in the same Wal-Mart that I went to Friday night to buy a tarp to cover the transmission with. Friday night wasn't too bad in there. There weren't very many people, which was a pleasant surprise. Today, though, made up for it. The "people of Wal-Mart" were back out in full force.
I'm actually a "Walmart protester", which means I don't shop at Walmart unless I absolutely have to, which is only about 3-5 times a year. But I'm always amazed at the people, I mean, who are these people and why have I never seen most of them before. Does Walmart have a whole different group of people that only shop there that I mysteriously never see other places?..........weird......

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't even have a Walmart near me, I haven't shopped at one in years.

What did I do to my truck today?
I carried my heads to the trunk of my audi so I can ship them to Justin. They are a little lighter without the exhaust manifolds on them.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also don't darken Walmart's doors, even though being this close to Bentonville, they are hard to avoid.

I swapped gears in the rear axle this weekend. It didn't go nearly as well as I had planned....

The rebuild kit I bought was for a standard Dana 70. Apparently this truck was built with the Dana 70-HD, so none of the bearings or shims in the kit were the right size. Took 3 trips to the O'Really's to get the right inner pinion bearing as their system showed the standard 70 as well. Good thing I live in the same city as O'Really's corporate head quarters so it only takes a couple of hours to get literally anything out of the warehouse.

The pinion nut was so rusted, that my old 1/2" impact didn't stand a chance of busting it loose. The 3/4" breaker bar + Jack handle combination couldn't snap it loose either, so off to the store I went and purchased a 3/4" Milwaukee Fuel impact. Still took a fair bit of heat to get it to come loose, but I think I am going to like that new Milwaukee.

Got it all back together, and I will take it for a test drive this evening. I even swapped speedo drive gears while I was under there.

Interesting side note. It was obvious that someone else had been in that gear case at some point in it's 40 yr life. The rusted tag showed it was originally built with a 3.54 gear set, and someone must have swapped in the 4.11's to help the old 6.9 pull a bit more.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its been keeping warm in its lil barn.
have an eu3000 Honda mounted in the crossbox of the bed.
Power went out yesterday @1100 hrs. It's parked next to the house and the power cord is slung thru a window running the fridges.
The lopi is doing duty keeping us warm...
"GOOD FERD"
Pats It's head ;)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But I'm always amazed at the people, I mean, who are these people and why have I never seen most of them before. Does Walmart have a whole different group of people that only shop there that I mysteriously never see other places?..........weird......
I think the answer must be yes. I hate going in there most of the time because by the time that I come out, I no longer feel the need to lose weight. I feel pretty sleek and svelte compared to at least 1/3 of the people in there.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to feel better about yourself check out People of Walmart cookoo

Today I replaced the missing trim clips on the two strips either side of the steering column. Now they don't fall off every time I hit a bump ;)
Also filled it up with diesel at "only" $3.39 a gallon...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What State or part of the country do these People as seen at Walmart live? never see them at our local Walmart. I will agree I never see any of these people once I leave Walmart.

Some of the Employ`s are a bit strange. One thing I notice, a good share of them are not friendly. If they are, they haven`t worked there very long.

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this to replace the FMX in the Red Truck.
Hey, Gotta tell you...

The flexplate has a different back spacing on an FMX than a C-6...

I have built a number of FMXes that wiped a pump because of it.

It was miserable getting all that metal contamination out of everything good enough to not have sticking valves in the valvebody and governor...

There was a time when people would have a C-6 go bad and then try to swap in an FMX and the spacing was such that the pump gears would get pushed into the back of the housing and cause catastophic damage.

Going the other way...C-6 in where an FMX came out..? You might have excessive 'pull forward' on the torque convertor when the bell housing is bolted up flush. The center pump gear will not be adequately engaged....

You need the right flexplate to make it work....if I could lay my hands on my old catalogues I could give you the part number...but I have no idea where they are right now...sorry...

This is the best stab at it I can come up with right now...my catalogs would have told me the back spacing...

This is assuming you have an early 302 with the 28 in. oz. counterweight...

Whatever you do...make sure you have some 'pull-forward' room on the TC when the bell is bolted up...

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. The 302 is also coming out and will be replaced with a 351W at the same time. I can say that the FMX has worked just fine for several years. I just can't get the front seal to stop leaking. I've replaced it three times. The Windsor had a AOD behind it. I bought a new flex plate for the Windsor because the guy swore up and down that the old one was bad and he couldn't start the engine. I bought a new one even though I can't see any bad teeth.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will be replaced with a 351W
I had looked up a flexplate for a 1980 E-250 van with a 351 Windsor because the last I remember seeing an FMX in a car was about '78-'79 and I had never seen an FMX in a later van.

I always liked rebuilding FMX's because they reminded me of something akin to a dinosaur...an earlier time in the transmission world...a leftover that still did the job and was still hauling the freight.

Other guys avoided them whenever they could because they were time-consuming and very sensitive to contamination...

They were pretty dog gone heavy...though...it was best to get someone to help you lift it onto and off of the bench...but still a nice looking unit...inside and out.

Can't beat the torque of that Windsor...wish I had one to play with...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7