So what did you do with your truck today?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I know it's usually simple, but when I'm involved.....it gets kinda FREAKY! I'm just going to bypass it for now. All my money is going to get the tow truck drivable, and then I'm going to address my dually in a BIG FREAKING way. It's drinking too much oil outta the crankcase, she's tired and I think"the Piper's" bill is coming.
Well being in Florida you won’t freak out, as you probably only use the heater for a couple months a year anyhow. I believe I have read it is not good to cap the return hoses. Creates some freaky problems like maybe air pockets or a water circulation issue. So you might just want to run one hose in between the inlet and outlet hose connectors on the engine. I don’t recall but I believe they are both the same diameter. Other members can confirm or deny the myth.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta loop it, don't cap it.
Well being in Florida you won’t freak out, as you probably only use the heater for a couple months a year anyhow. I believe I have read it is not good to cap the return hoses. Creates some freaky problems like maybe air pockets or a water circulation issue. So you might just want to run one hose in between the inlet and outlet hose connectors on the engine. I don’t recall but I believe they are both the same diameter. Other members can confirm or deny the myth.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention, my ignition linkage fully failed on my way home trip, can't shut off truck. Can do key on, but have to start with solenoid. Have to drop the fuse cover and reach around the column and push the rod to the "off position"
Oh the joys of having a tilt column. Going to tear into it tomorrow.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention, my ignition linkage fully failed on my way home trip, can't shut off truck. Can do key on, but have to start with solenoid. Have to drop the fuse cover and reach around the column and push the rod to the "off position"
Oh the joys of having a tilt column. Going to tear into it tomorrow.
I bet it was all the additional horsepower and bottom end torque that just RIPPED the tab off the tilt mechanism!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I pulled the saddle tank off of my tow truck. It is a VERY righteous fuel cell......how can I tell? You may ask....... because its so HOLEY! The crazy thing is it was a full tank of diesel. Before I start driving my tow truck I want to have the fuel cells and fuel lines to the engine 100% so Ive officially pulled both tanks now. I'd like to do manual fuel selector valves while I'm at it. The sending unit looks fine but I do need "shower heads", where do I find those? I don't see them on rockauto.

I also pulled the bench seat. I kept the captains chairs out of our old conversion van and am going to make a frame for them to go in there while I'm at it.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
So, I pulled the saddle tank off of my tow truck. It is a VERY righteous fuel cell......how can I tell? You may ask....... because its so HOLEY! The crazy thing is it was a full tank of diesel. Before I start driving my tow truck I want to have the fuel cells and fuel lines to the engine 100% so Ive officially pulled both tanks now. I'd like to do manual fuel selector valves while I'm at it. The sending unit looks fine but I do need "shower heads", where do I find those? I don't see them on rockauto.

I also pulled the bench seat. I kept the captains chairs out of our old conversion van and am going to make a frame for them to go in there while I'm at it.
Email [email protected].. They're in IA. I bought new sending units from them, maybe ask if they just have the "shower heads"?.. Great guys and good price.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my front tank, I eliminated the shower head.

The originals lasted a long time, but they still eventually broke off, and crumbled. I don't trust the new ones as far as I can spit.

I just put a piece of vinyl tubing on the end of the pickup tube, and put a brass tee, in the end of that. (Used fuel injection hose clamps to keep everything in place.)

Then looked through the filler neck hole, while I installed the sender, to make sure that the tee was laying down flat on the bottom of the tank.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my front tank, I eliminated the shower head.

The originals lasted a long time, but they still eventually broke off, and crumbled. I don't trust the new ones as far as I can spit.

I just put a piece of vinyl tubing on the end of the pickup tube, and put a brass tee, in the end of that. (Used fuel injection hose clamps to keep everything in place.)

Then looked through the filler neck hole, while I installed the sender, to make sure that the tee was laying down flat on the bottom of the tank.
Im kinda feeling what your saying. When I put the bronco tank on my dually for WMO I actually took a 4"x 1/2"npt galvanized pipe, capped one end, put a 5/16 barb on the other end and drilled a bunch of 3/16 holes in it and attached it to the end of the sending pipe with "fuel submersible" rated rubber hose and I also made sure it layed on the bottom. I was thinking about doing that here, but kinda wanted to "do it right" but that might be "doing it right". Thanks guys........I knew Colombo would know what to do.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Rockauto, look up a 1990 ford and call it a “fuel pump strainer”. It’s Delphi FS0204

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Charged the AC on my old man's truck, first time since doing the diesel swap. Perfect timing too, as it was humid and in the low 80s here. Also replaced his radiator cap, the other one wouldn't hold any pressure at all.