So what did you do with your truck today?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NERO! It doesn't look like you did anything! There's stuff everywhere, the main part of "fixing" things is putting it back together correctly and with working parts. I am glad to see a ball peen hammer in the picture, my automotive teacher said to "never trust a mechanic with a claw hammer".

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Haha yeah I have a few different sized ball peen hammers, was using this one to knock out roll pins and the pivot pins. The dowell on the key linkage had snapped, that's why I could do key on, but it wouldn't pull the rod back. Odd, as the last two times I've replaced that piece, it's just sheared at one of the 90° joints.
Rest assured, it's all put back together now and I can start it with the key just fine again.
I do keep a claw hammer in my arsenel of tools, but I mostly use it for opening wooden crates.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a drawer full of hammers. I bet youll have to retrain yourself to a working key switch.
Funny guy, nah it broke as I was leaving the lake, and I just never shut it off til I got home. My days of jumping the starter solenoid are way past over. I also have two spare columns, just in case.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I haven't posted here in some time. I moved overseas for a few years and my poor 6.9 stayed in a field in Austin Texas the whole time, only being occasional started back when the batteries had some charge. Well, I finally got back to the states last month and was able to retrieve the old brown truck. I charged the batteries and made an adjustment to the idle screw before driving from Texas to North Idaho. Not a single problem along the way from the faithful IDI. Anyways, I'm here because I decided to reward my trucks reliability with some paint. The old steel wagon wheels were looking tired and beat up. I think they look much better and will hopefully give me a few more years of service.
Before and after, front wheel only.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I did a full write up on the process with lots more pictures over on the paint and body thread. Check it out:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize how loud this would be. My shop is down a steep hill and door is open, so the roaring noise goes right to the neighbor and they have a brand new baby

Adjusted pump and will check timing again tomorrow. Thanks to @gandalf and all the people who have posted experiences and how to guides!

Attachments

• 20220711_203446.jpg
    20220711_203446.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 10

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize how loud this would be. My shop is down a steep hill and door is open, so the roaring noise goes right to the neighbor and they have a brand new baby

Adjusted pump and will check timing again tomorrow. Thanks to @gandalf and all the people who have posted experiences and how to guides!
.....nice TT 3300.....

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my trailer fender repaired that my dad annihilated when he used it for hauling giant downed trees. Also started getting the lights repaired. But it is 91 degrees out so I finally finished wiring my Chinese lights and put in my pink bulbs haha.

Next is fsv and daily drive it until the trip on Friday!

I want to put more lights on the trailer. I can't count how many times I see people trying to pull behind me and swerve because they didn't see the trailer!

I cruise like a turtle in the right lane, but people act like I'm their greatest obstacle between themselves and their children being murdered haha

I am trying 9.5 degrees for timing. Anything I should look for to show I should put it at the 8.5?

Attachments

• 20220712_151225.jpg
    20220712_151225.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 4

gandalf

Reaction score

I cruise like a turtle in the right lane...

I am trying 9.5 degrees for timing. Anything I should look for to show I should put it at the 8.5?

Will you have your Turbo Turtle ready for the road before the Friday leave date? I have faith you will.

More lights: Could you wire the trailer itself, wired on the trailer side of the connection to the truck, for a, perhaps, 4 wire jack, and then plug in magnetic towing lights? Remember that more lights will place a greater load on your alternator.

I suspect that there is little difference between 8.5* and 9.5*. A lot of that difference would be the difference in individual truck setups. You might run a slight bit hotter at 9.5*, but not terribly much. If your cooling system is in good condition it should not be a problem.

Report back on your progress.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Got my trailer fender repaired that my dad annihilated when he used it for hauling giant downed trees. Also started getting the lights repaired. But it is 91 degrees out so I finally finished wiring my Chinese lights and put in my pink bulbs haha.

I want to put more lights on the trailer. I can't count how many times I see people trying to pull behind me and swerve because they didn't see the trailer!

I cruise like a turtle in the right lane, but people act like I'm their greatest obstacle between themselves and their children being murdered haha

Danielle,

That is a challenge with car trailers they are low and not very visible to drivers especially at night.

More lights on the side of the trailer could help but lights 3 feet above the trailer would be much better for visibility.

If you switch your trailer lights to LED’s adding more lights would not be an issue.

I don’t seem to tow my car trailer at night unless my jeep is on it. So I share the same concern you do but have not addressed it yet. I know it’s a matter of time before some impatient or brain dead person plows into my trailer because they did not notice it.

I have thought about some solutions.

1) So my trailer has U brackets around the trailer. I have thought about making some 2”x4” ‘s to add a yellow light on the top 3-4’ above the trailer just behind the wheels. So day or night if a driver was paying attention the 2x4 or the light would get their attention. Make them so I can unplug and remove them.

2) I have also thought about a pair of these for the rear sides of the trailer. (Just not in pink.:))

3) Lastly buying something more permanent like one of these sets for a boat trailer. Add a light to the top.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score

Timing question.

What to look for?
1) Use your butt dyno to help decide which is better?
2) Perhaps one gives a slightly faster start.
3) Perhaps one gets you 1mpg more.

But not sure you will notice much of a difference at all.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing question.

What to look for?
1) Use your butt dyno to help decide which is better?
2) Perhaps one gives a slightly faster start.
3) Perhaps one gets you 1mpg more.

But not sure you will notice much of a difference at all.
I think I know what you mean by butt dyno!!

In the middle of doing the third round, the tester poofed smoke and shut off while I was testing it again

I was high so went to passenger side, but now at idle it's vibrating a lot!

I Am so mad about this timing tool!!!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Recharged the ac in my own truck today, I also took the catch can off so I could fit a drain valve onto it. Emptied it while it was off, only got maybe 2-3 tablespoons of oil out. Not bad.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean by butt dyno!!

In the middle of doing the third round, the tester poofed smoke and shut off while I was testing it again

I was high so went to passenger side, but now at idle it's vibrating a lot!

I Am so mad about this timing tool!!!
Friends don't let friends set their timing when they're high. Sober up, get a timing device, and try again.

I really do understand what you mean, but on a casual reading it sounds bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7