So what did you do with your truck today?

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Been repainting the ol gal the original colors and when I'm done will reinstall the pinstripe. Today, took the front bumper off and the panel just behind it to spray on its own (less masking up front). Going to spray the bottom area under the trim next. Too scared to mess up the trim by removing it so I'm making it work, so far it's good!

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_165328411_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211009_165328411_HDR.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 7

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drilled and tapped the uprights for the brush guard, then got the sides in place. The welder was giving me fits burning back because I'm pushing it too hard. Hey, I can stand on it, so it's not going to fall off.... Right away at least LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's looking good, but you're going to hate that when you have to do any service work under the hood. At least it looks like you won't have to take Yoga lessons to get you hand in there to open the hood.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are going to build mine right after yer done with yours? LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking good, but you're going to hate that when you have to do any service work under the hood. At least it looks like you won't have to take Yoga lessons to get you hand in there to open the hood.

Why's that? I'm thinking if I do it right, it should be easier to work on!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Why's that? I'm thinking if I do it right, it should be easier to work on!
That was assuming that you build on some type of grille guard. I learned to hate those things when I was working on these trucks all the time. It doesn't see, like much, but even if you have to stand just 6" farther away from the grille, it's quite a bit more difficult to work on these engines. Of course just the bumper will push you farther away too.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like he can stand on the bumper and have an even easier time of working in the engine bay. :)

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
That was assuming that you build on some type of grille guard. I learned to hate those things when I was working on these trucks all the time. It doesn't see, like much, but even if you have to stand just 6" farther away from the grille, it's quite a bit more difficult to work on these engines. Of course just the bumper will push you farther away too.
I haven't really dealt with grill guards, but the old fashioned plow mounts are more or less the same in terms of hassle, so I would have to agree. If there is no guard on the bumper, it would be one nice big step though I imagine

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes it makes a good step, but then you have to bend over farther. Maybe I'm too picky?:dunno Imagine trying to replace a water pump while standing on the front bumper and you can see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that it's wrong to do this, just that I have very specific reasons as to why I wouldn't.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm building it with serviceability in mind. It's definitely going to have a grille guard, but it's also going to be removable.

I'll admit, it wasn't until you got me thinking about it that I realized the center tube should be removable as well. That way there's more room to stand on without removing the entire guard.

The top tube should actually make bending over the hood slightly easier as there will be something I can lean against or stand on without worrying about damaging anything.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tiny bit of progress this morning. Cut off the bracing from the front and started trimming it to where I need it. Then I started on the cover plate. Still all repurposed scrap even the screws!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a nice little Sunday. Kinda just cruised around and ran some errands. This truck is always a joy to drive.

Attachments

• 32C67236-A8BA-4077-AFF9-16AB94128049.jpeg
    32C67236-A8BA-4077-AFF9-16AB94128049.jpeg
    628.6 KB · Views: 9