So what did you do with your truck today?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have not even started my engine in over 2 months. Had some coolant issues blowing out catch reservoir. Thought thermostat stuck closed. Changed it. Refilled with distilled water. Cap off radiator. Started up engine and a gusher came out open radiator. Head gasket... Cracked liner... Cracked head... No idea but engine gets pulled.... When I'm up to the work... Hopefully I have enough of what might be wrong and no machining required... Am using Felpro head gaskets. May change to Victor Reinz. I have a full set of overhaul Felpro gaskets.Am sure going to install the Flow Kooler water pump this time around. Have entertained installing the cam Russ has.....

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not even started my engine in over 2 months. Had some coolant issues blowing out catch reservoir. Thought thermostat stuck closed. Changed it. Refilled with distilled water. Cap off radiator. Started up engine and a gusher came out open radiator. Head gasket... Cracked liner... Cracked head... No idea but engine gets pulled.... When I'm up to the work... Hopefully I have enough of what might be wrong and no machining required... Am using Felpro head gaskets. May change to Victor Reinz. I have a full set of overhaul Felpro gaskets.Am sure going to install the Flow Kooler water pump this time around. Have entertained installing the cam Russ has.....

Well damnit Gary that's not good to hear. Hope it's an easy fix.

jericho

Reaction score
Well , this is a case of learn from others mistakes. Yesterday I drove 1k miles round trip from Virginia to southeast Georgia to pick up my newly purchase trailer:
You must be registered for see images attach

1# nice lady on the phone said trailer had standard electric plug. I asked "seven round pins?" She thought so. So no.. blade. Luckily a local Napa had the exact adapter my brother had offered to give me.
2# didnt bring a map and my gps was screwy so trip took hours longer than it should.
And last but not least, I was so tired last night I lay down to catch a few winks of shut eye in the cab, and for some reason i left the key in the ignition and in the glow plug position. So my 10 year new system that worked perfectly is shot. My question is it the glow plugs, controller, or both bad? now the light comes on for an instant , then out. Oh well, when i get back home its fix time.
Always bring a map.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your glow plug system should not have been damaged by you leaving the key on.

There is another problem. Probably the controller. (Which chose this time to die.)

It didn't happen because the key was left on. If that were the case, it would kill it every time you drove a few miles, because the key is on, then as well.

Yeah, not in that position, but everything in that position still has power, when the truck is running. So it's the same as leaving the key in that position, AND the run position, when you are driving.

The controller itself is supposed to turn itself off after the cycle is finished. If it doesn't, it's the controller's fault.

EDIT: Actually I think that position, literally IS the run position, once you have started the truck.

jericho

Reaction score
Your glow plug system should not have been damaged by you leaving the key on.

There is another problem. Probably the controller. (Which chose this time to die.)

It didn't happen because the key was left on. If that were the case, it would kill it every time you drove a few miles, because the key is on, then as well.

Yeah, not in that position, but everything in that position still has power, when the truck is running. So it's the same as leaving the key in that position, AND the run position, when you are driving.

The controller itself is supposed to turn itself off after the cycle is finished. If it doesn't, it's the controller's fault.

EDIT: Actually I think that position, literally IS the run position, once you have started the truck.

Oh ok, that makes sense. It's just I never left the key in the on position without starting it for such a very long time.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I dodged a bullet here or extended my time. I had some minor coolant issues this spring, heater hot then cold, up and down temp reading, more then normal coolant into the overflow tank, a little extra white smoke in the morning. Gave a little extra torque on the head studs and all seems well for now.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
New windshield today. I have a small bubble to tend to before I reinstall the visor. I took a video of the final product. Sorry, no picks but I will put a YouTube w link on another reply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well nothing big, got it inspected today.

The new radiator showed up today! Plan is to put it in Tank and swap the old brass rad from Tank to Diego. Ordered up a large bypass transmission cooler to put in front of it since it's a manual rad going in an auto truck.

I'm looking forward to Diego running again, but I don't know if I'll be able to buy enough distilled water to mix the coolant since everyone is rationing supplies because of the idiots hoarding toilet paper....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well nothing big, got it inspected today.

The new radiator showed up today! Plan is to put it in Tank and swap the old brass rad from Tank to Diego. Ordered up a large bypass transmission cooler to put in front of it since it's a manual rad going in an auto truck.

I'm looking forward to Diego running again, but I don't know if I'll be able to buy enough distilled water to mix the coolant since everyone is rationing supplies because of the idiots hoarding toilet paper....
You can always buy it pre-diluted in a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online