So what did you do with your truck today?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Well tryed to get the fuel gauge to work and managed to get half or less, that work was in vain when found out boats dont float round here. At least there is a new showerhead, so can get the full tank of fuel.

:frustrate

You must be registered for see images attach

You cut a hole in the bed?

Rock

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cut a hole in the bed?

Yes a hole was made, the bed is going to get replaced at some time since beat up badly on one side. A hole there is not a concern for me since have a onan gen set to cover it up.

EDIT: the gen set plate can be seen in the first pic

EDIT: EDIT: This is a old photo of the gen set

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tryed to get the fuel gauge to work and managed to get half or less, that work was in vain when found out boats dont float round here. At least there is a new showerhead, so can get the full tank of fuel.

:frustrate

Got some water in your fuel tank??? Geez that's nasty rust.

I have a hole in my bed exactly like yours, courtesy of the PO. It's pretty annoying when you're moving gravel or dirt but if you have scrap plywood it makes it all way better.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some water in your fuel tank??? Geez that's nasty rust.

unsure what has got in this tank past algae in the fuel, it has sat for 7 years and more before I got it. I have mixed in diesel kleen, bio kleen and acetone to the tank. The filter of acetone was a last ditch attempt to get fuel through the ip, should also deal with water if there was any.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel doesn't even look like fuel in that picture either. Rather than a green-blue it looks grey in the picture. Hopefully it's cleaner than that...not worth running through the IP if it's sketchy though. Yikes.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel doesn't even look like fuel in that picture either. Rather than a green-blue it looks grey in the picture. Hopefully it's cleaner than that...not worth running through the IP if it's sketchy though. Yikes.

The fuel looks like a thick amber-green in the tank and is not really translucent. The fuel looked better after the second filter but what ever is in this tank cloged the filters within ~100 miles. I have added 16 gallons of fuel to this tank, 5 to top is off when started and 11 after a short run.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that truck sat for years.

You aren't going to get rid of the problems until you get rid of the fuel.

Either run the tank until empty, and be ready to switch to the other tank, fill up the first one, then run the second one to empty and be ready to switch...

Or just empty the tanks.

And dump a whole bottle of dieselkleen in there with the new tank of fuel.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that truck sat for years.

You aren't going to get rid of the problems until you get rid of the fuel.

Either run the tank until empty, and be ready to switch to the other tank, fill up the first one, then run the second one to empty and be ready to switch...

Or just empty the tanks.

And dump a whole bottle of dieselkleen in there with the new tank of fuel.

Sound like a plan but issue is selector valve is remove where only on the front, was planing to do a transfer pump between tanks at some point. Could do as such where have a fuel can full with me, when I run out of fuel use a spare length of hose I have to drop in that and go to the pump through a hole bed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After you get your transfer pump installed, at least save yourself the issues and pump that tank empty instead of running it through your engine. The rear tank in my Blue Truck had cloudy looking fuel in it so I didn't purposely run on that tank. (I accidentally hit the selector switch one time and it stuck drawing the fuel from the front but returning it to the rear). By the time that I got around to draining that tank, I only got a couple of gallons out of it so it developed a hole. I'm just letting you know what happened to me so that you will have been warned in case it happens to you.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and cut the filters to see what occurred, this is the aftermath of doing so. With the media, first past top then second with outside top. They did there job and the first took the brunt of it, there is a lot of grit on the outside of that one. For the second it was relatively clean for the most part, not sure why the low flow of the first did not pass this one. Next time will be to try rotating second to first and add new second, see what happens doing that.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you set up a electric bypass pump and circulate the fuel through the filters continuously for a while? I would be sceptical about running that fuel through the IP and injectors. Otherwise just drain and clean the tank. Cost of a tank of fuel versus the cost of a rebuilt IP is simple math.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you set up a electric bypass pump and circulate the fuel through the filters continuously for a while? I would be sceptical about running that fuel through the IP and injectors. Otherwise just drain and clean the tank. Cost of a tank of fuel versus the cost of a rebuilt IP is simple math.

Yes could do that and use the pump I have in the truck, I used same size feed and return hose.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely consider that. Its easier to let the pump run and change filters every now and then then to deal with it on the road. I hope you get it clean and sorted out.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and cut the filters to see what occurred, this is the aftermath of doing so. With the media, first past top then second with outside top. They did there job and the first took the brunt of it, there is a lot of grit on the outside of that one. For the second it was relatively clean for the most part, not sure why the low flow of the first did not pass this one. Next time will be to try rotating second to first and add new second, see what happens doing that.

The reason the second filter is clean is because they are identical filters from your other post. The first is cleaning everything down to what, 10 microns(can't remember exactly) so the second one has nothing to do. Better to put a 30 micron filter in front of the OE filter. Or a cleanable 50 micron or whatever.

Doing a looped filter setup for a while is a great idea.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason the second filter is clean is because they are identical filters from your other post. The first is cleaning everything down to what, 10 microns(can't remember exactly) so the second one has nothing to do. Better to put a 30 micron filter in front of the OE filter. Or a cleanable 50 micron or whatever.

Going through 7/8 filters on fleetfilter, I am finding a 33337 water separator at 14 micron and 33377 filter at 5 micron as a option. The 33811 I was using is rated at 6 micron and have 2 of the 33377 order that will pick up in the morning, guess am ordering a 33337 and another 33377. Will do one filter at a time in loop to clean the fuel in the tank tomorrow. see where that gose.