So what did you do with your truck today?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand Chillman..sucks when people that don't have pride in their work touch your stuff.

By the way, if you ever need to plate the frame where the shackles are..take a Sawzall with atleast 12amp motor and a footlong diablo blade and you cut right through the rivets between the shackle mount and frame. Then punch them out quick with a sledge, weld plate, and back together.

I did that on mine.
Another thing im going to try on mine which I havent seen before, for S&G, is if you already have the rear tank dropped go from the inside and drill the plate out to allow the back of the rivets to go through flush. Then weld. And you get to keep the rivets.

The first way is easier if you have the tanks and everything in. If the second way doesn't make sense you'll see it soon in my thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can mail you some free line if you need it for him. If you don't have time to flare send me the measurements and I can flare and mail them?
Thank you for that offer.

This sort of thing is what makes me proud to be a part of this community.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And I really wasn't looking forward to drilling out all of those rivets with no torch.
Once, I used a torch. Now I don't even do that. I take a grinder, grind a slot across the top of the rivet most of the way through the head. Then I take a chisel end on my long barrel air hammer and you can easily chisel off the rivet head. then I use a punch in that air hammer and drive the rest of the rivet out. It's fast and clean.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now to piece together kit and fly wheel in 3 days!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a contraption, "in situ", to take the canopy off the truck by myself.

Loaded up my 275 gallon water tote. Went to town and got water.

Transferred the water into the storage tank.

Removed the tote from the truck.

Then replaced the canopy.

Still have to slide it into final position and then clamp it down, but yeah, pretty much a full day's work for a fat old retired guy! :D

I do plan to eventually build something permanent that I can just back the truck under, and lift the canopy off. But this was needed quickly and cheaply. I needed water!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your contraption reminds me of the aliens in War of the Worlds, but with more legs! :joker:

Good work on making something to easily remove and replace your camper top. I do love a good locking camper top for keeping my **** dry and secure, but even my wife makes fun of the way my camper top looks compared to how it looks without it. The hard truth is: you need it both ways depending on the season and/or situation.

Well done :cheers:

dan-o

Reaction score
I hope your father in law appreciates you. It reminds me of the time I worked on MY father in laws Buick piece of crap. I though it was just bad shocks. No big deal, right? It turned out to be a worn out power rack and pinion from the way he drove, I guess. You would have had to remove darn near the whole front end to change it out. I couldn't do it, didn't have the time or tools. I was too busy trying to keep his daughter happy. Needless to say, neither of those endeavors worked out!
Oh yeah, I worked on wiring on my '89 F35 ambulance today, until it got too freaking hot. Texas summers and for soy boys...

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a contraption, "in situ", to take the canopy off the truck by myself.

Loaded up my 275 gallon water tote. Went to town and got water.

Transferred the water into the storage tank.

Removed the tote from the truck.

Then replaced the canopy.

Still have to slide it into final position and then clamp it down, but yeah, pretty much a full day's work for a fat old retired guy! :D

I do plan to eventually build something permanent that I can just back the truck under, and lift the canopy off. But this was needed quickly and cheaply. I needed water!

I have seen toppers or campershells i call them come off with a riser system or rather pulley system when looking for a camper shell ate dealership was pretty neat even has a thing to attach to your bed for it as well.

As far.as truck goes has cremlins it fries starters kills batteries before and after i seen a blue spark figure with a short for headlight switch might be go controller and that deal on passenger side fender it had a burning smell and well its sitting in the yard even though it aint paid off nor does the bank or insurance want it.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen toppers or campershells i call them come off with a riser system or rather pulley system when looking for a camper shell ate dealership was pretty neat even has a thing to attach to your bed for it as well.

As far.as truck goes has cremlins it fries starters kills batteries before and after i seen a blue spark figure with a short for headlight switch might be go controller and that deal on passenger side fender it had a burning smell and well its sitting in the yard even though it aint paid off nor does the bank or insurance want it.
I've gone through 5 Starters in 4 years, I'm glad for lifetime Warranties though I truley hate that top bolt!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone through 5 Starters in 4 years, I'm glad for lifetime Warranties though I truley hate that top bolt!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Got tired of 'lifetime' starters. Found an old fashioned Alternator and Starter rebuild shop in Houston. Took my starter to them and asked them to replace every 'wear' part whether it was needed or not.

Starter has been going strong for 4 years now.