1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what did you do with your truck today?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by GOOSE, Oct 28, 2012.

1. hce

hce So can i.... Supporting Member

I have one of those stashed in a building.

2. Scotty4

Scotty4 Full Access Member

For the last two weekends, Betsy has hauled 3 loads of trash totaling 2 tons to the dump, moved 18 sheets of sheet rock and a load of 2x4s, as well as brought home the new cabinets for the kitchen today. The wife said today “I’m glad we got this truck” which is the first time she’s appreciated it since owning it for a year. Impulse by shmilpulse buy.

dgr, chillman88 and IDIBRONCO like this.
  3. Laine D

Laine D Full Access Member

T
    they are becoming super popular out on the west coast. Not sure about where you are at though. I feel like everybody has hurt themselves on one haha.

4. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

They're popular here in the Plains states too, if you can find one. I haven't hurt myself on one. I suppose that's mostly because I've never ridden one.:(

5. nelstomlinson

nelstomlinson Full Access Member

Friday I made the 200 mile round trip to the big city. It was about -30F when we started out, was up to -15F by the end of the day. Brought back a load of groceries and three hundred gallons of #1 heating oil. It was roughly a long ton of fuel. It was enough weight that we could feel the truck rode a little differently. This old beast runs pretty strong, mainly because it's geared down so far. My 5th gear is like 4th in a 4.10

This was the '89 crew cab which had been having air intrusion problems. That seems to be behind me for now: it's starting and staying started even after sitting for several days.

6. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Coming home. On the highway. Pegged the speedo.

Speedo only goes to 85. It reached 80, and stopped moving, but I kept increasing speed.

Still sitting at ~2000RPM.

And this was on a LOOONG steep grade!

Dregs Garage likes this.
  7. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

Bought the next "project" and it's not an IDI. 2003 crewcab dually 4x4 7.3 powerstroke 6spd that experienced an underhood electrical meltdown / fire. Virtually destroyed everything under hood. Also bought 2000 F-250 single cab 7.3 powerstroke 6 spd 4 x 4 as parts truck. Going to be a ton of work and learning experience as I've never wrenched on one of these.

H3LLSP4WN and chillman88 like this.
  8. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well today I switched the plates back to Tank from Diego. My buddy hasn't gotten to the radiator yet and I need Tank for something else that I'll reveal later.

I've forgotten how much stuff Tank needs. Still runs good but I'd forgotten about the vibrations and leaks and and and LOL

Drove it a little bit and put some new fuel in it. I've got new return caps that should be here tomorrow, I'm hoping to pull the injectors and reseal them this weekend, plus find out what my glow plug issue is, pretty sure it's a dead plug.

Jason1377 likes this.
  9. flareside_thun

flareside_thun Reviving The General Tao

Drove the old smokey bastard to work and back.

subway likes this.
  10. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

As far as the engine pulling, these aren't all that different than an IDI. IIRC, to get one out without trying to drop the trans, I removed the turbo, removed the balancer, and the upper piece of the core support (it bolts in). With an automatic, I didn't have to remove the turbo. Although that was an OBS truck, so you may still have to remove the turbo to pull it out with an automatic. Internal mechanics wise, the two aren't very different at all. Now as far as buying a non-IDI?:idiot:

Jason1377 likes this.
  11. H3LLSP4WN

H3LLSP4WN Registered User

Took fuel dumped it inside and burned her to the ground she may now Rest In Peace. She awaits me in hell we will see each other again one day

lol I am trouble shooting electrical on the light system there are grounds on every light switch wire so eliminating one ground at a time

12. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

LOL I'm pretty sure we've all been there at least once! I've gotten pretty close myself!

H3LLSP4WN, Selahdoor and Jason1377 like this.
  13. Dregs Garage

Dregs Garage Registered User

intro to the tear down of my 7.3 idi motor.

will post anther one today!

flareside_thun and Selahdoor like this.
  14. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Well, I 'liked' that one twice! LOL

That blue lid... Did that snap on, somehow? Or did you have to hold it down, while you blew the crap off the motor and out of the valley?

15. Therkhan7_3Turbo

Therkhan7_3Turbo Full Access Member

Got a ladder and cleaned off my room, always have to take a picture from overhead when you can.[​IMG]

Dregs Garage and Jason1377 like this.